Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 03:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KingPin Question  (Read 1065 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« on: June 18, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »

Checking the unusual wear on my MC-8 front tire (driver's side), I found that I have excessive play in the king pin. I looked at my parts manual and sevice manual.  I plan to remove the knuckle and take it to a local big truck shop to have the new bushings installed and reamed.  Per the service manual, it says to drive the tapered fit kingpin out with a brass drift. Here is my question for anyone that has BTDT. How hard is it to drive the old pin out? Can this be done without applying heat to the front axle or is a press needed?  Thanks in advance, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NCbob

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:13:20 PM »

Jack, I believe the big questions is:  Which side was the tapered pin driven in from?  Can you get close enough to the knuckle to be able to see the difference in the size of the ends of the pin?  Chances are it wasn't done with the convenience of the next guy in mind. Undecided

Lord!  It's been so many years since I've SEEN a kingpin steering system I shudder at the thought of having to do one. Embarrassed

Keep the Smoke Wrench handy and Good Luck! Wink

NCbob
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:32:03 PM »

Jack last one I did I tried driv'n it and it wouldn't budge, however I barely hit it with the smoke wrench with a rose bud tip and it litteraly fell outon the shop floor. I still don't have a clue as to why it wouldn't come out using a 7.5# hammer but fell out without even getting it "HOT" yes I got it warm but not enough to notice a glow or even show it'd been heated when I went to put it back together! So I guess I ain't much help except to say have that smoke wrench with a rose bud ready (Dad swears the rose bud did it because it spreads the heat instead of putting it all on one spot!) BK  Huh Grin Cool

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »

The manual is very specific, it drives out the bottom. The drawing shows the smaller part of the taper at the top. Last kingpin I changed was about 30 years ago and my memory does not go back that far LOL.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »

When I did mine I didn't even try to beat them out.  I used the rosebud, not enough heat to turn red but enough to loosen things up.  One tap with the hammer and it fell right out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: