Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 01:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 3006 times)
Blacksheep

« on: August 27, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

Buy or not buy?

Scene 1
Called local RV repair shop specializing in Rv repairs and custom paint about purchasing 1-2 tubes of 252 Sika-flex. The guy says hold on and returns with a yes we have it and it is 6 something a tube. I said fine, I'll be in tomorrow to pick it up and he agreed!

Scene2
Ran some errands and on the way home I stopped to pick up the glue. While waiting for the man I talked to to bring it up front, I was chatting with the receptionist about me doing work for them in the past and my coach yada yada yada.

Scene 3
The man comes up front and says, sorry but when I asked the other guy if we had it, he said yes but it looks as though we are out of it. I said, Dang and thanks anyway and went out to leave. While sitting in my truck, my phone rang and after finishing the call, I turned my truck around to leave.

Scene 4

After turning around, I see the same man walking towards my truck! I roll the window down and he says did you used to do work for us? I replied yes! He said is this for your personal coach? I said yes! He says, oh come on back in. I'll sell it to you! Now within a flash, I thought he must have gained this info from the chat I had with the receptionist! I politely (not really) said I don't do business that way and that's another reason why I haven't done any more work for you when you have called me so with that you can stick the Sika-Flex where the sun don't shine and added that a reputation travels REAL fast especially with bold face lies. He sort of pleaded for me to buy it anyway and I slowly left him in my dust as I left!
Scene 5
I drove directly across the street to a competitor and had it ordered which will be here in the morning!

What would you do?

First company in question is Creative Coach on st rd 33 Lakeland Florida and the liar is Glen.

Company that ordered with no problems and went out of their way right as I was there was Fountain RV on st rd 33 Lakeland Florida
Mark and Pat

Ace

Let me also add that Creative Coach (Glen) are the same people that worked for Star Jet when they were here and went into business themselves when Star Jet moved up north!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:01:23 AM by Blacksheep » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »

I would likely have done the same thing you did Ace.  Especially since you had called first.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:31 AM »

I think you did the right thing.  It sounds like a dishonest group of people and I don't deal with people like that. I don't cheat people and try to always be honest and I don't handle cheaters or liars very well.

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

I donno . . . . . Their website looks good & shows lots of pictures that look like great, quality work. Looks like they have lots of talented people working there.
Maybe that guy was having a 'moment'. Maybe they've had a bad experience from selling 'professional grade' products to non professionals. Maybe, maybe, maybe . . . . .  Roll Eyes

But to condemn them over $12 worth of stuff & 1 misscommunication? I donno . . . .

At least it didn't cost you thousands of dollars to experience their business practices first hand.  Grin

I do agree that you should do business with places that provide good service & treat you with respect, regardless of the order amount.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

I've also dealt with people like that and I don't work that way.
I would have done the same thing. I'd go out of my way to buy from others instead.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

I don't understand - why would they not have sold to you just because you were a member of the public that they didn't know? Was it the specific product that they would not supply? Or was it for example that they are a trade-only supplier and only realised you weren't a trade customer when you turned up?

There are various reasons I can think of why a company would be legally or commercially prevented from supplying certain products to certain customers, but your post implied that the company was voluntarily losing a sale because they were dishonest or a bad business somehow - I don't understand why any company would choose to do that.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »

I don't understand - why would they not have sold to you just because you were a member of the public that they didn't know? Was it the specific product that they would not supply? Or was it for example that they are a trade-only supplier and only realised you weren't a trade customer when you turned up?

There are various reasons I can think of why a company would be legally or commercially prevented from supplying certain products to certain customers, but your post implied that the company was voluntarily losing a sale because they were dishonest or a bad business somehow - I don't understand why any company would choose to do that.

Jeremy

The way I read it is that they are a conversion shop that didn't want to sell a supply item to someone that might be competing with them.  And that is fair enough, a lot of business wouldn't do that.  But they had  initially agreed to sell it to him over the phone and then when he got there made up a story about it rather than simply say, "I was mistaken, it's against our policy ...."

In the grand scheme of things, that was a relatively minor incident, but I would have been equally irritated and likely done the same thing.  I have no problem with a business refusing to sell a supply item they keep in stock for themselves, but I have a very low tolerance for being lied to.
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »

Kyle that was a nice try to relate this situation with the slide out thread but rediculously different in many ways.
Let me say that from what I know and see, Creative Coach does some really nice work although a lot of it is farmed out to experts like myself. True they have their own body and paint guys and they do a subperb job but... If the guy is going to lie over 12 bucks, imagine what story they would feed you over 12,000!!!
That although a measley 12 bucks threw up a red flag to me and it should be to everyone else whether you have already done business with them or plan to. Buyer beware!

Ace
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 12:52:50 PM »

follow the rules guys no bad mouthing of any business or individual permitted so I was informed about a comment I made about a business
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:57:00 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »

It's a good lesson to those in business for themselves here.  I've had businesses that pissed me off thirty years ago, they will never know how many thousands of dollars of business it might have caused them.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
cody

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »

I'm kinda strange, if I don't feel comfortable with a company I'll bypass them.  I went to an RV dealer once to see if they had a chair I wanted in the store part, while I was in there I saw a guy walking around my bus with a clip board looking at it and making notes.  I went out side and asked him what he thought he was doing and he said he was checking out a possible trade, I jumped up and down and yelled at him and followed him back into the store, he was moving pretty quick by the time we got almost to the door.  I really didn't want the stuff I had put on the counter to buy by then and I haven't been back lol.  Yep, I'm kinda strange.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 01:49:34 PM »

Jeremy

My line of thinking is with Jeremy.

Something is missing from the story, and I don't like drawing conclusions on gray areas.......

Ace,  Could you clarify on the reasons they didn't want to sell?

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Blacksheep

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »

Cliff I wish I knew!
Trust me, I was kind of in shock when he told me initially that they didn't have any. Then as I walked out, I thought oh well, the guy made a mistake the day before and so be it but it wasn't until he confronted me afterwards that pissed me off!

There are no gray areas in MY end of the story other than a few of the goodbye words have been changed to allow posting!

What I still can't understand is, he didn't know me from adam on the phone and was willing to sell it to me but when I actually arrived as I said I would he suddenly had none BUT, after his receptionist obviously told him of our conversation, he decided I GUESS, that I was just a private consumer and not any compitition. Again, I'm speculating!

Ace
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »

Well it sounds to me that when they saw yer WORK VAN they probably figured you were the competition, trying to "finish" a job that you were & short on stock. Then the girl told them you were an ex-employee (and an EXPERT at that) working on your own coach. And they decided that they had done you wrong and tried to make up for it. Now while they did try to make up for it, they were probably in reality wanting to keep you as a possible "associate to work with" in the future. (Now that is only how I see it! And of course I am NO EXPERT!)

By the way I don't & won't deal with people like that myself! I try to treat folks the way I wish to be treated. But as always . "YA WIN SOME & YA LOSE SOME"! Grin  BK  Grin

by the way you posted the same time I did!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Blacksheep

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »

Maybe what I should do is email him and ask for an explanation because the guys on the BB are as stumped as I am.

Ace
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

Personally I'd just drop it and move on. (like I did on the other subject) But then again my opinion is just that! YMMV!  Grin

I have no personal interest in either one, just voicing my opinion. Grin  BK  Grin

And by the way I have no personal beef with ACE (or anyone else on the board for that matter!) and still feel he is a well qualified bus converter, judging from his past projects. FWIW!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »

Cliff I wish I knew!
Trust me, I was kind of in shock when he told me initially that they didn't have any. Then as I walked out, I thought oh well, the guy made a mistake the day before and so be it but it wasn't until he confronted me afterwards that pissed me off!

There are no gray areas in MY end of the story other than a few of the goodbye words have been changed to allow posting!

What I still can't understand is, he didn't know me from adam on the phone and was willing to sell it to me but when I actually arrived as I said I would he suddenly had none BUT, after his receptionist obviously told him of our conversation, he decided I GUESS, that I was just a private consumer and not any compitition. Again, I'm speculating!

Ace

Well, you answered my query, I guess the unknown "gray area" is from the other party to your conversation.....

If your unhappy with a vendor, talk with your greenbacks.....No cash flow, No business.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »

Kyle that was a nice try to relate this situation with the slide out thread but rediculously different in many ways.
Let me say that from what I know and see, Creative Coach does some really nice work although a lot of it is farmed out to experts like myself. True they have their own body and paint guys and they do a subperb job but... If the guy is going to lie over 12 bucks, imagine what story they would feed you over 12,000!!!
That although a measley 12 bucks threw up a red flag to me and it should be to everyone else whether you have already done business with them or plan to. Buyer beware!

Ace

Wasn't trying to relate them. I just saw what I thought was a curious coincidence:

Case1- concerns a verbal agreement over the phone to buy something from a vendor who does what appears to be good service work according to their website.
When customer shows up, vendor declines to sell the stuff & makes ‘excuses’. As customer is leaving, vendor meets him in parking lot with a different story & parts are now available for sale at the prior agreed price.

Result-
The vendor is condemned due to the ‘excuses’ even though no money was lost and part was made available before customer left. Also, there was no consideration for the quality work done by the talented service technicians.

I am curious as to why you would rush to judgement when the guy is trying to talk, i mean, he did run out into the parking lot. I wasn't there, so I don't know the answer.

Case 2- concerns a different vendor who also has a nice website showing examples of their service work. This vendor already has a reputation resulting from some contracts that were signed before any $$$ was transferred, yet those customers never got what was contracted for (– according to a jury of 12).

Result-
Vendor is praised for doing such good work while insinuations were made that the victims of the pre-paid, unfulfilled contracts were somehow responsible since they should have 1) known better, 2) done their homework, 3) seen the completed product before paying.

So, you have my apologies, you are right. They are totally different. Yep, totally.
silly me.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 08:18:27 PM »

ace,

i got into this late, but i'd have sent Fran down.  You should have sent Susan or one of the other Bluegrass Babes that you must have.  that would have alleviated any doubts as i'm sure they would have just sold it to her. Wink

i get kinda testy with people that play games also.  i'm not into such things, but there are those that do.  i had one guy write me a letter after his wife emailed me about a product we sell.  he wanted me to tell him all my sources and how we do it so he could compete against us.  Duhhhhhh.  i don't think so.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »

... he wanted me to tell him all my sources and how we do it so he could compete against us.  Duhhhhhh.  i don't think so.

Just say, "Ancient Chinese secret!"   Grin
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »

Ace,

You seem to be short fused, volitile, judgemental and reactionary. Shocked  Just some of the many things I have come to admire about you and wish to emulate. Cool Grin Grin Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Blacksheep

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »

John I'm really not volitile or quick tempered. I'm really pretty low keyed believe it or not. Ask anyone that knows me! I guess I've been handed a lot of raw deals in life and I keep my guard up with any dealings. I divorced a liar about 14 yrs ago and don't take being lied to too easy!
I'm a tell it like I see it kind of guy and have made a few enemies because of it but for every one I lose, I seem to gain two. I don't like to candy coat anything in life including ME. It will always come back on you one way or another!
Now I got my sika flex today and only thing I wish I would have had was an air powered gun to install it on the panel that was to be glued! It sure would have been a lot easier on the thumbs!
Anyway, I emailed the liar at CC and am waiting for a response IF I GET ONE!
Ace
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 10:53:41 PM »

Ace,

Not volitile OR quick tempered?  Sad  Hrumhp....Well, nobodys purfect....I guess. Roll Eyes  We can still be friends...sorta. Grin

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 06:58:47 PM »

Let it go but never forget...

Someday they may need something that is conveniently out of stock on your shelf....

A reward that you can afford to wait for....

Dave...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Blacksheep

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 04:17:53 AM »

Dave yea I figure time is on my side now as sooner or later they will call for me to do a rip out and an install of some type flooring in one of their customer's RV's and I'll get my chance to get back at them! Will I do it? Probably not, but it will give me the opportunity to remind him/them of how they do business with the general public!
By the way, I still haven't received a reply to my email, but I didn't expect one either! Kind of similar to the emails I sent to some particular members of this board. Smiley
Hope your doing ok on your end!

Ace
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

I tend to agree with ACE, I don't like people that play games.  Angry   This time may be $12.00.  Next purchase might be $1,200.  Once I feel like I have not been treated fairly, I wouldn't go back....ever.

Just my 2 cents,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

Ace,
I think you did the correct thing given the circumstance as presented to you. I agree fully.
I went to a Toyota Dealer, to gather info on a SUV for my wife, as I have been to Ford & Honda previously. In talking to the salesman who was up as I walked, I learned that another dealership purchased this Toyota one, and My PIA secretary's Ex works there. I have known him for 6 years, but not close. As I relate this to my salesman, the Ex walks by, I introduce myself as he did not remember the name. The Ex states "Just another guy like his coworkers who can't make a decision"
Wow, that made an impression. The reason I am scouting for info and lookin is that my wife is disabled, I was short listing the competition. My deal is cash/ no trade. I am sure the dealerships are full of similiar customers.
I indicated that I could and have made a decision and walked out.

I would not normally have done so, but I am still putting up with his Ex's BS at work....

ACE, I am in your corner.

Thanks for listening,
Gary P

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: