Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:07:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is filtered dc voltage  (Read 739 times)
CraigC

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

I have a elevation sensor on a Winegard antenna that is currently using a 9 volt battery. I am replacing the existing battery every 3 months. The directions say I can use "12 volts filtered" to power the the elevation sensor.

Exactly what do they mean.

Thank you.

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »

When AC is converted to DC there can be current ripples in the DC ( not quite a straight line yet).  Filtering takes this out and is generally a capacitor or a battery.  So if you have a battery in the circuit, (you're battery bank) you're okay.

Ray D
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »

There are two kinds of "filtering" that you should be concerned with here.  First is "ripple".  That comes from the rectifiers in a ac to dc converter power supply used in the coach.  Mine disconnectes the bats when it sees enuf ac to make dc for the coach...16 volts actually.  If you are using a smart charger and your bats are connected for the coach power when you have "pole" power you would have this superb battery filtering.

The other is noise and is a higher frequency.  A capacitor will eliminate this but it has to be a BIG cap.  Noise comes from the brushes, for sure, but also from a myrid of other sources.  Another fly in the ointment is that the noise will be "developed" over only a few feet of wire.  One exasperating (for the Tuner) situation was with a ignition module that would work if it was connected to one end of a three foot line but went spastic if connected to the other for it's perminent location.  A digital voltmeter showed 12 volts dc everywhere.  On ac it showed 17 volts at one end of the wire and 13 on the other.  In this case a "small" capacitor connected at the device DC input cured the problem and I was the hero de jour or for a short minute anyway.

HTH

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »

We have that same winegard elevation sensor on our bus.  We wired it directly to our 12 volt house battery system (which is charged by a one wire alternator will driving and the charger side of our Heart Interface inverter when parked) when we originally installed it about 8 years ago. We have nver had any problems with it.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: