Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is filtered dc voltage  (Read 771 times)
CraigC

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »

I have a elevation sensor on a Winegard antenna that is currently using a 9 volt battery. I am replacing the existing battery every 3 months. The directions say I can use "12 volts filtered" to power the the elevation sensor.

Exactly what do they mean.

Thank you.

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »

When AC is converted to DC there can be current ripples in the DC ( not quite a straight line yet).  Filtering takes this out and is generally a capacitor or a battery.  So if you have a battery in the circuit, (you're battery bank) you're okay.

Ray D
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:18 PM »

There are two kinds of "filtering" that you should be concerned with here.  First is "ripple".  That comes from the rectifiers in a ac to dc converter power supply used in the coach.  Mine disconnectes the bats when it sees enuf ac to make dc for the coach...16 volts actually.  If you are using a smart charger and your bats are connected for the coach power when you have "pole" power you would have this superb battery filtering.

The other is noise and is a higher frequency.  A capacitor will eliminate this but it has to be a BIG cap.  Noise comes from the brushes, for sure, but also from a myrid of other sources.  Another fly in the ointment is that the noise will be "developed" over only a few feet of wire.  One exasperating (for the Tuner) situation was with a ignition module that would work if it was connected to one end of a three foot line but went spastic if connected to the other for it's perminent location.  A digital voltmeter showed 12 volts dc everywhere.  On ac it showed 17 volts at one end of the wire and 13 on the other.  In this case a "small" capacitor connected at the device DC input cured the problem and I was the hero de jour or for a short minute anyway.

HTH

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »

We have that same winegard elevation sensor on our bus.  We wired it directly to our 12 volt house battery system (which is charged by a one wire alternator will driving and the charger side of our Heart Interface inverter when parked) when we originally installed it about 8 years ago. We have nver had any problems with it.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: