Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it okay to horizontally mount a fire extinguisher?  (Read 4232 times)
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

I have some space above my battery compartment and it would be perfect for my new 2.5 gallon "Cold Fire" extinguisher from RV Saftey Systems.  Is there any reason I can't mount it horizontally if it is still easy to get to?  This compartment is never locked and because of that fact I really want the extinguisher located there.  If I can put it above the battery box then I save a bunch of floor space and I really don't use this space above the batteries as it is.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:16:24 PM by Brian Diehl » Logged
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »

I have a couple of those same fire extinguishers. Just got a second one this summer. While Jim would be a better source to answer this question, I don't see why it would be a problem mounting it horizontally. It has liquid inside, as apposed to dry powder, which can clump when allowed to sit in one position for long periods.

However, that being said, are you sure you want to put it in the same compartment as the batteries?  My concern would be that there might be a potential for the batteries to overheat or get shorted, and possibly start a fire. It may be that you can't get to the fire extinguisher when needed. Not sure that's necessarily a concern, but certainly one to consider.

I have one mounted inside the coach next to the door. Not sure it'll stay there in the long term when I get a nicer interior, but it's very convenient there for now. Not sure where I'm going to put the second one. Probably the first or second bay. Thinking whether I should put it on the driver or passenger side. Leaning towards the driver side, maybe next to the generator and inverter in the first bay, since the first one is on the passenger side. I'm also considering using RV antifreeze in the second one rather than water, in an attemnpt to freeze-proof it.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:04:03 PM »

I have another fire extinguisher in the inside of the bus.  I think I would be able to use that extinguisher in the event of a battery issue.  Good point about considering the potential of a battery issue though!  I used RV antifreeze in my extinguisher.  I'm happy with that choice given my desire to put it in place and forget about it unless needed (and annual pressure checks!).
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:19:36 PM »

RV antifreeze works as well as water?

Fred Thomson
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »

RV antifreeze works as well as water?

Well, it was recommended by Jim for the extinguisher so it can be winter proof.  He has tested it and said it works fine...     Undecided
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »

Unlocked?   Hummmmmmm.

The bats are really valuable but their weight discourages theft on a short park.  The RV Saftyman Cold Fire extinguisher is another matter.  You know what they say: girls will be girls and boys will be boys and thieves will get beat dam near to death.  Catching them is often the problem, however.  When you catch someone pilfering your house you should always detain them in such a manner that the arresting officer is really conflicted as to wether to rush the perp to jail or the hospital.  Just my thoughts on this.

John aka Mr. Mellow

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:46:41 AM »

I have another fire extinguisher in the inside of the bus.  I think I would be able to use that extinguisher in the event of a battery issue.  Good point about considering the potential of a battery issue though!  I used RV antifreeze in my extinguisher.  I'm happy with that choice given my desire to put it in place and forget about it unless needed (and annual pressure checks!).

Have you gone through a winter with the antifreeze in the extinguisher unit yet?

Just curious if you had any problems since I had the RV antifreeze gel on me at about 10 below.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:38:16 AM »

Craig, I just bought the extinguisher.  So, I'm just following a suggestion from Jim that it should be fine.  I used full strength antifreeze and hope there will be no issues.  This winter will be the litmus test.
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 06:57:59 AM »

Craig,
Freeze temperature and burst temperature of RV antifreeze are 2 different animals.
RV antifreeze, (Propylene Glycol), with a rating of -50F has a freeze temp of around +10 It will turn mushy, but not expand.

I would be concerned about it's use in the fire extinguisher if it needed to be used at low temps, but unless you are planning to spend the entire winter full timing at Thunderbay, I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

Just my opinion, not to be taken for fact or gospel.
YMMV.
Professional Driver on a closed course.
Don't try this at home.
No warrantee expressed or implied.

Here's the website I got my facts from:
http://www.camco.net/faqwinterization.cfm

Have you gone through a winter with the antifreeze in the extinguisher unit yet?

Just curious if you had any problems since I had the RV antifreeze gel on me at about 10 below.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:22 AM »

Brian,
   Another thing I would be concerned with if installing the extinhguisher in the battery compartment is the long term effects of gases from the batteries affecting the metal extinguisher. 
   I also use the RV antifreeze in all the systems I install for Jim. After discussing this with Jim, I feel that it is the best product that is readily available at a reasonable price. I am sure there may be a few that spend itme in their coaches at temperatures below +10 degrees, but not the ones that own the coaches I have installed systems in (including ours). I also inform the owners of the temperature limitatons of this solution.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »

I think you all are talking about a fixed system so this does not apply, but I thought this was worth bringing up because many of us use a dry powder hand held ABC.

.......dry powder, which can clump when allowed to sit in one position for long periods.

Powdered extinguishers need to be "fluffed" at least once a year. Turn them upside down, place your ear on them and listen for the powder to drop completely. It should sound like sand slowly flowing. Also check for correct pressure and the discharge hose for obstructions (like mud dobbers nest, etc). On a side note when using a fire extinguisher discharge it at the base or source of the flame using a sweeping motion. It is surprising how many will shoot the flame, allowing the suppressant to overshoot the actual fire.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »

Can I safely assume that any air pressure type water extinguisher can be charged with the cold fire solution?  Yes I am looking for a cheap way out!  John
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:41:56 AM »

Laryn brings up a good point.

At work, they inspect all truck mounted fire extinguishers once a year.

They check the gauge for pressure, you can do that

They wipe it off and replace the safety seal, you can do that

They turn it up side down and tap on it with a rubber mallet to unclump the powder, you can do that

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »

I freeze proofed my Cold Fire with a powder that Jim sold me.  I think I put in enuf to freeze proof it down to ~-20F.  Why did you guys opt to use antifreeze?  Jim?

Thanks,

Jim

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
van

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

Is any one using halon in their rig ,and if so who supplies the system?

Tanks.Van
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: