Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 05:01:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hurricane help  (Read 855 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

weather channel shows gustav is liable to equal katrina, and there are three more waiting in the atlantic.

i want anyone in the target areas to know that we have our bus fitted with hi-speed internet, i can have 5 computers and handle more computers (up to 20) via wifi.  obviously, we have a generator, 12k, which could power light bulbs in an emergency tent.  we also have chainsaws, lanterns, and a dislike of sweat and hard work, but i guess i can if i have to.

when katrina hit, i offered to answer the call for internet and computers via the red cross and salvation army.  both said "that's great, we'll call you back".  Neither did.   Huh got lost in the paperwork.  Sad this time i want more people to know so that if needed, maybe we can help.

i already notified one of our customers in MS.  Thanks to our prior service, they are somewhat ready and will call if they need more, but pass our name onto others who aren't so fortunate.

as Paladin used to say (sort of) "Have bus, will travel".  for those that didn't watch Paladin, forget it.  old westerns.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »

One helluva fine offer Tom....wish there were more like you who put others first. There's no doubt in my mind that your services and help will definitely be needed but I doubt that a bureaucrat would take you up on your offer.

Perhaps if you went through the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League, the Ham radio operators) you'd find that your offer would be not only accepted but welcomed.

Thank you for your service.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »

Get in touch with Sean.  He does this exact thing as a "paid" volunteer....or somehow reimbursed....I think.  Maybe his being retired law enforcement has an influence.  There are lots of gummint agencies that use volunteers but paythem per diem and travel expenses.  Get in touch with the forest service, Corp of Engineers, etc, etc.

Thank you for even wanting to do this.  Don't believe everything you hear about the gummint.  It is yours and you can fire the bums that aren't doing their job.  Try that with EXXON next time they take a crap on your head.  I was a Civ Ser for 30 years and i did everything I could for any that asked and i worked weekends and ships force knew they could call me at home and they did.  Even a sub at sea called me via sat com on a Sunday morning and we worked it out over the phone so I avoided a helicopter ride and drop.  I have outstanding performance reviews for most years, merit raises for performance, plaque's, letters and Congressional Awards for Achievement.  Ticks me a little to hear that all gummint is worthless.  I also fired incompetent jerks that had surpassed their rise to a level of incompetent performance. So don't say that can't be done either.  I fired many many more private industry contractors for poor work, however.  They were simply not good enuf to work for My navy and My sailors.  They nick named me "Slak water Jack" and the lyrics to that song go "you can't talk to a man with a shotgun in his hands....Slak Water Jack".  I was special but I wasn't the only one by any means.  You can find an agency and person that will hook you up...he and they are out there.  Did you know that most of the FEMA senior staff resigned shortly after Mr. Brown took over and Mr. Brown wrote letters lamenting the reduced budget and that FEMA was being gutted and could not adequately respond to a disaster?  That is true.  He saw it coming and he was a Horse club president before taking over FEMA.  Don't get me started. Grin Grin Grin

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: