Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of tires !!  (Read 4809 times)
D+C4106

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:43:09 AM »

I am considering getting 4 new tires  11R22.5 for our 4106.  Called for pricing on Michelin  XZA-1 and was told $450 plus $22 mounting plus $15 Equal.  Does this pricing seem out of line or have the prices jumped a lot in the last 4 years?  For two grand I am considering the very good looking but older tires to do a few more miles.  Thanks for any input,  Denis
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »

I recently had an older tire (that looked great) disintegrate while riding down the road. It gave no warning before failure. (this was a load range E tire on a suburban)

This is why I don't trust old tires.

Is Michelin the only choice offered in your area? What price is offered on other brands?

~4 months ago I got 2 mounted & balanced for $500 at goodyear in Tampa, FL.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:41:15 AM »

Geeze Kyle!!  I bought 2 tires in Tampa last year at GCR I paid 752.82 thats mounted, balanced and new stems, plus the tax!! That was after 50 phone calls all over FL over a 3 month period. The only tires I could find in FL for $500 was used. I'm going to need four more for the rear, will you buy them for me???

Not only that, but I am changeing over to 11R 24.5 cause they are a lot cheaper.. These are Dayton all position tires.

On the plus side I sold my 7 year old mounted, 12R 22.5 french junk to a trucker for $400, .

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »

Hey Jim, It was my buddy,Vern, that got 'em for me. The tires were made by goodyear but branded something else. 22.5 rim. 
The 'name brand' tire will usually carry a higher price.

These tires rode GREAT (put on steers) for the trip from Okeechobee up to SC. I crossed my fingers concerning the rear 8 tires. They held air & had good tread, so we hit the road & kept it around 60 mph & had an uneventful trip - tire wise.  Wink

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:49:06 AM »

We put new wheels and tires on our 4104 this spring.  New Wheels were $107.00 ea.  Tires were 299.00.
Tires are Dunlop, it pays to look around and not settle for a price just because it is a name brand.  We
got our tires from a local tire company in Atwater, Ca.  Just beware of cheapie rubber and check the dates
on the tires, the more recent the date the better. BTW, the new tires are all position most for a quieter ride.
Blessings,
David
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

Toyo is not my favotrite, but for the money and the milage they run, they are the best deal on the market. 127s are just under $300 in 11R:24.5

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »

I need new friends  Huh

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Just before I left on my trip in May - looked at the Michelin's with almost 90% tread on them - small weather checks - dang - called up and they wanted almost $1000 per tire (xza1's) mounted and balanced taxes etc. (I didn't bother shopping that price as there was no way it was going to be that much lower elsewhere) - I ended up using the inside drives for tags as they had no checks - 6 new Kumho 315/80 22.5 model KRS-03 for $2600 total out the door - I saw his wholesale on them was right at $350 per tire and he went and got them - sold the 6 used tires for $600 -

My report on these tires with 8k miles so far is as follows:

1) the Mich's had 22 ply tread and these have 18 I believe

2) the Mich's were load rated at over 9000 lbs while these are about 8300 lbs

3) the side wall on the Kumhos is a little thicker but I believe if I had changed shocks (that need it) the ride would not be much rougher than the Mich's

4) I'd love to go with 11R or 12R tires but can't find anything with enough load rating

5) I did make the dealer get dates in 2008 - quite a lot in the news lately about stale dated tires - I'd recommend you demand to see the manufacture date before they install - If your gonna pay that kind of money you need to get every last day out of them - FWIW

If you haven't bought tires lately you may be in for a shock!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:18:40 PM »

If you haven't bought tires lately you may be in for a shock!

And I just have to wonder what the actual material/production cost is in one.  Part of the increase is no doubt related to the rising cost of crude oil.  They take a three fold hit:  ingredient, heat source during production, transportation cost.

But I suspect that possibly an even bigger chunk of the price increase is their liability insurance rates going sky high due to the industry's recent blunders and the resulting high dollar lawsuits.
cody

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »

quick question, how do we read the date codes?
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »

Dunno about your tire price $quote$ being OK or sossss.  Haven't bought new tires in a long time.  Have your considered trying your local, friendly, heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard for good used "take offs" taken off retired/wrecked highway tractors that do not need them anymore?

Lots of times (nearly?) they have good used take offs complete with excellent condition Alcoa wheels as a package deal.  Usually the tires will have at least 50% tread remaining. (or more)  Something to do with liability or something.  Awhile back I turned down a "deal" for ten (10) Michliens on Alcoas mounted.

Anyway, just a consideration from outside the box thinking.  Since trucks run lots of miles quickly, the age question may not enter into things.  I for one have found your local, friendly heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard to be a neat place to visit---on a regular basis.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »

From the WWW,

The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991).

Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

If the date code is 8PY0806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).

EDIT-
There was a typo - the 0 was omited.
Thanks redneck  Grin

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:09:21 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »

JJR,

I visited my friendly tire shop about 6 months ago.  While there I asked the owner if 24.5s were cheaper than 22.5s and he said that that used to be true.  He said that there was so much call for 22.5s that the price differential had disapeared.  Would a tire sales man lie to me about tires?  Huh Figure the odds and perish the thought Roll Eyes .  He also told me that 22.5s rolled easier and were lighter and that that added up to slightly better fuel efficiency.  Tongue I thought rolled easier was patently false on the surface of it. Sad

How much did you save by going to 24.5's?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »

Fwiw the 22.5 is the standard of the world no where will you find a 24.5 except in the USA and most manufacturers here have gone back to the 22.5
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »

Consider BFGoodrich-made by Michelin only cheaper.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

As I remember the difference was the better part of a $100 bill!!!!! For each tire. Of course this was early 2007, things may have changed. I also had to change rims, which was compensated by selling my over priced over rated french tires mounted and balanced.

Was your tire man lying? a 12R 22.5 wieghts 20 lbs more than an 11R 24.5. Now maybe the brands he is selling are different? Is he including the rim? I can see where a 24 inch rim would be heavier than a 22.5 inch, not sure on that and dont want to look it up!

I am not concerned that one tire will give slightly better mileage over another or a slightly better ride. I want a known brand steer tire with a 75 mph speed rating and heavy sidewalls at a low price. Mostly my tires are going to sit and rot. Hopefully I will have enough ambition, to sell them befor they are scrap. TRuckers are happy to get tires that are a couple years old with lots of thread..
                                                                                                             FWIW  Jim

fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »

I bought two 12R225 Firestone FS 560's for $498.43 each plus balancing. This was in Blythe Ca. Date code was current, they replaced two that were shredding on the bogy. I had them mounted on the front and moved the front to the rear. Not much time to price check when you need them.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

I found the receipt,
04-03-08
Foy's Transport Tire Service, Inc
Tampa, FL
11R22.5 Steelmark AHS + valve stem + mount  (for 2 tires)
$538.75

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »

Jim,

You will be the first person that I have ever talked to that didn't like Michelin tires.  Amazed!  What was wronf with them?

Kyle,

What brand were they for that price and do you like them?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:22 PM »

I don't like Michelin's when my son buys new trucks we pay extra for a different brand so now you met 2 people whats wrong with them their warranty sucks always your fault never the tire when the side wall blows out
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:04:43 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:50 AM »

MMA2,

If that is it they are in point of fact a miricle product.  All of my experience with the brand is concerning autos.  Mich and BFG are on all my vehicles and they do much more than they are supposed to do in all ways tire.  I won't argue with you though....I think I remember you had a rash of nasty failures and warranty problems so you have come by you predjuduced opinion honestly. 

Thanks,

John

—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:21 AM »

Kyle,

What brand were they for that price and do you like them?

John

Goodyear

Yes, they rode well on the front of my 4501

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »

An 11R  22.5!!!! You had me worried Kyle, I thought I was loseing it, I rarely overpay for anyting!!!! On the internet I am refered to by the retailers as a bottom feeder, I am very proud of that!!   The 11R  22.5 tires are cheaper than the 12R or 24.5!!
 John I hate being decieved. I was led to belive that the french stuff is the best. They are not the best, just the most expensive.

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:08 AM »

JohnEd; there is a big difference in ours and your tire usage we are in the heavy haul business our rigs have from 9 axles up to 25 axles and when 1 tire goes it usually cost 2 or more and that is something you can not afford with heavy and wide loads.We just don't have any luck with your favorite tire   have a great day
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »

I don't like Michelin's when my son buys new trucks we pay extra for a different brand so now you met 2 people whats wrong with them their warranty sucks always your fault never the tire when the side wall blows out

When I was trucking I had the same problem! MICHELIN always said it was mine or the BRAND NEW trucks fault that the tires were junk and would not hold up!

JohnEd; there is a big difference in ours and your tire usage we are in the heavy haul business our rigs have from 9 axles up to 25 axles and when 1 tire goes it usually cost 2 or more and that is something you can not afford with heavy and wide loads.We just don't have any luck with your favorite tire   have a great day

I do agree that any time your vehicle is making you $ you can not afford to have tires that let you down! But especially on a commercial application where they are notorious for not honoring the warranty! FWIW BK

By the way I took Bridgestone tire in yesterday to a dealer for a warranty replacement from where the tread was starting to separate! They quickly and gladly put me a new 12R22.5 on my wheel. Then they informed me I'd have to pay for it and BRIDGESTONE would reimburse me for it! Well I told him that had I known I was going to have to pay for it, I'd waited until I got back home since I'd already put the spare on in it's place 2 days prior!
His response was "trust me BRIDGESTONE will pay you back, and if they don't call me and I'll take care of it"! He said "WE NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BRIDGESTONE LIKE SOME PEOPLE HAVE WITH MICHELIN!" So I paid the $581 (not happily, but I did pay!), and headed over here to Paul Hastings' place where I still am.

Speaking of Paul, his SETRA is looking awesome! May have an open air feeling at the moment, but he's done an awesome job so far! I took a lot of junk off his hands which will free up a ton of space & provide some more spending $ for the project! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

Thanks  everyone for the information.   I am not close to too many tire shops so I will be checking long distance!  I have found tires at Sam's Club (Goodyear -Vesta) Steer tire $254  Drive $262  NO mounting available there!  But .. the tires they just got in were dated 5006, if that is correct, they are almost 2 years old already.  Not new enough for me!   I will be making some calls before I will make the move.   Again, thank all of you for the input.    Denis
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

You guys didn't hurt my "feelings".  I never once doubted that your experience with Mich was valid or deserved....for heavy truck type products.  All of my experience is with 4 wheelers and S&S.  I got no truck creds.

Hey, though, they did invent the radial tire though,,,didn't they?  I think they did.  In all the years I have bought the things I have never found one that was made in France and I find that curious.  Even way back when they came from Germany and Holland and Spain and Tennessee or Arkansas(those are foreign countries, right?)  All were superb performers for me and that amazed me as well cause my experience is that when the bean counters get involved the quality goes all to heck.... Usually!  I read that where they are made had no impact on any aspect of the quality or the exact nature of the materials...none.  My experience seems to have born that out.

From what I read on this board from people I respect and whose judgement I trust, the closest my bus would get to the Frog tires is the ones on my toad.  I will heed your good council...really I will.  Grudgingly, of course. Grin Grin Grin

John the tire guy

—Pla
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »

Dunno about your tire price $quote$ being OK or sossss.  Haven't bought new tires in a long time.  Have your considered trying your local, friendly, heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard for good used "take offs" taken off retired/wrecked highway tractors that do not need them anymore?

Lots of times (nearly?) they have good used take offs complete with excellent condition Alcoa wheels as a package deal.  Usually the tires will have at least 50% tread remaining. (or more)  Something to do with liability or something.  Awhile back I turned down a "deal" for ten (10) Michliens on Alcoas mounted.

Anyway, just a consideration from outside the box thinking.  Since trucks run lots of miles quickly, the age question may not enter into things.  I for one have found your local, friendly heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard to be a neat place to visit---on a regular basis.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just be aware of the possibility that the tires may have been flat spotted just before the wreck.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 07:07:43 AM »

I have found tires at Sam's Club (Goodyear -Vesta) Steer tire $254  Drive $262

Does anyone have any experience with these tires?  I see them advertised when I go to Sam's, although I have never inquired about them.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

I thought the Sam's Club tires were more money than that.  The big issue for me was having to special order them and then haul them all to a tire shop to get mounted.

I paid $362 each for Firestone FS590 Plus tires in April 2006.  This was mounted with all taxes and fees.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »

The tire search continues!   I found Michelins XZA-1 's for $397 but they also have Hankook AL07 's for $295.  Do any of you have experience with the Hankook brand?  For the price difference all 6 could be new for a similar cost.   Thanks for your thoughts on this,   Denis
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »

Check the load range on the XZA-1 I will tell that tire will bubble on the side wall and Michelin will tell you it is beacuse you hit a pot hole in road
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

I was going to buy a set of tires, cannot remember the name!  I typed "XXXXX tire recalls" into my search bar. I did not buy XXXXXX tires!! They had far more recalls than others.  Might want to try the same with Hankook, also dont confuse truck and car tires when looking.  HTH Jim

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: