Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 11:04:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Price of tires !!  (Read 4654 times)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

As I remember the difference was the better part of a $100 bill!!!!! For each tire. Of course this was early 2007, things may have changed. I also had to change rims, which was compensated by selling my over priced over rated french tires mounted and balanced.

Was your tire man lying? a 12R 22.5 wieghts 20 lbs more than an 11R 24.5. Now maybe the brands he is selling are different? Is he including the rim? I can see where a 24 inch rim would be heavier than a 22.5 inch, not sure on that and dont want to look it up!

I am not concerned that one tire will give slightly better mileage over another or a slightly better ride. I want a known brand steer tire with a 75 mph speed rating and heavy sidewalls at a low price. Mostly my tires are going to sit and rot. Hopefully I will have enough ambition, to sell them befor they are scrap. TRuckers are happy to get tires that are a couple years old with lots of thread..
                                                                                                             FWIW  Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »

I bought two 12R225 Firestone FS 560's for $498.43 each plus balancing. This was in Blythe Ca. Date code was current, they replaced two that were shredding on the bogy. I had them mounted on the front and moved the front to the rear. Not much time to price check when you need them.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

I found the receipt,
04-03-08
Foy's Transport Tire Service, Inc
Tampa, FL
11R22.5 Steelmark AHS + valve stem + mount  (for 2 tires)
$538.75

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 11:37:35 PM »

Jim,

You will be the first person that I have ever talked to that didn't like Michelin tires.  Amazed!  What was wronf with them?

Kyle,

What brand were they for that price and do you like them?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 11:59:22 PM »

I don't like Michelin's when my son buys new trucks we pay extra for a different brand so now you met 2 people whats wrong with them their warranty sucks always your fault never the tire when the side wall blows out
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:04:43 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 12:08:50 AM »

MMA2,

If that is it they are in point of fact a miricle product.  All of my experience with the brand is concerning autos.  Mich and BFG are on all my vehicles and they do much more than they are supposed to do in all ways tire.  I won't argue with you though....I think I remember you had a rash of nasty failures and warranty problems so you have come by you predjuduced opinion honestly. 

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 05:03:21 AM »

Kyle,

What brand were they for that price and do you like them?

John

Goodyear

Yes, they rode well on the front of my 4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »

An 11R  22.5!!!! You had me worried Kyle, I thought I was loseing it, I rarely overpay for anyting!!!! On the internet I am refered to by the retailers as a bottom feeder, I am very proud of that!!   The 11R  22.5 tires are cheaper than the 12R or 24.5!!
 John I hate being decieved. I was led to belive that the french stuff is the best. They are not the best, just the most expensive.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 09:27:08 AM »

JohnEd; there is a big difference in ours and your tire usage we are in the heavy haul business our rigs have from 9 axles up to 25 axles and when 1 tire goes it usually cost 2 or more and that is something you can not afford with heavy and wide loads.We just don't have any luck with your favorite tire   have a great day
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »

I don't like Michelin's when my son buys new trucks we pay extra for a different brand so now you met 2 people whats wrong with them their warranty sucks always your fault never the tire when the side wall blows out

When I was trucking I had the same problem! MICHELIN always said it was mine or the BRAND NEW trucks fault that the tires were junk and would not hold up!

JohnEd; there is a big difference in ours and your tire usage we are in the heavy haul business our rigs have from 9 axles up to 25 axles and when 1 tire goes it usually cost 2 or more and that is something you can not afford with heavy and wide loads.We just don't have any luck with your favorite tire   have a great day

I do agree that any time your vehicle is making you $ you can not afford to have tires that let you down! But especially on a commercial application where they are notorious for not honoring the warranty! FWIW BK

By the way I took Bridgestone tire in yesterday to a dealer for a warranty replacement from where the tread was starting to separate! They quickly and gladly put me a new 12R22.5 on my wheel. Then they informed me I'd have to pay for it and BRIDGESTONE would reimburse me for it! Well I told him that had I known I was going to have to pay for it, I'd waited until I got back home since I'd already put the spare on in it's place 2 days prior!
His response was "trust me BRIDGESTONE will pay you back, and if they don't call me and I'll take care of it"! He said "WE NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS WITH BRIDGESTONE LIKE SOME PEOPLE HAVE WITH MICHELIN!" So I paid the $581 (not happily, but I did pay!), and headed over here to Paul Hastings' place where I still am.

Speaking of Paul, his SETRA is looking awesome! May have an open air feeling at the moment, but he's done an awesome job so far! I took a lot of junk off his hands which will free up a ton of space & provide some more spending $ for the project! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
D+C4106

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 07:11:47 PM »

Thanks  everyone for the information.   I am not close to too many tire shops so I will be checking long distance!  I have found tires at Sam's Club (Goodyear -Vesta) Steer tire $254  Drive $262  NO mounting available there!  But .. the tires they just got in were dated 5006, if that is correct, they are almost 2 years old already.  Not new enough for me!   I will be making some calls before I will make the move.   Again, thank all of you for the input.    Denis
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

You guys didn't hurt my "feelings".  I never once doubted that your experience with Mich was valid or deserved....for heavy truck type products.  All of my experience is with 4 wheelers and S&S.  I got no truck creds.

Hey, though, they did invent the radial tire though,,,didn't they?  I think they did.  In all the years I have bought the things I have never found one that was made in France and I find that curious.  Even way back when they came from Germany and Holland and Spain and Tennessee or Arkansas(those are foreign countries, right?)  All were superb performers for me and that amazed me as well cause my experience is that when the bean counters get involved the quality goes all to heck.... Usually!  I read that where they are made had no impact on any aspect of the quality or the exact nature of the materials...none.  My experience seems to have born that out.

From what I read on this board from people I respect and whose judgement I trust, the closest my bus would get to the Frog tires is the ones on my toad.  I will heed your good council...really I will.  Grudgingly, of course. Grin Grin Grin

John the tire guy

—Pla
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 06:36:55 AM »

Dunno about your tire price $quote$ being OK or sossss.  Haven't bought new tires in a long time.  Have your considered trying your local, friendly, heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard for good used "take offs" taken off retired/wrecked highway tractors that do not need them anymore?

Lots of times (nearly?) they have good used take offs complete with excellent condition Alcoa wheels as a package deal.  Usually the tires will have at least 50% tread remaining. (or more)  Something to do with liability or something.  Awhile back I turned down a "deal" for ten (10) Michliens on Alcoas mounted.

Anyway, just a consideration from outside the box thinking.  Since trucks run lots of miles quickly, the age question may not enter into things.  I for one have found your local, friendly heavy duty truck wrecking/recycling yard to be a neat place to visit---on a regular basis.  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just be aware of the possibility that the tires may have been flat spotted just before the wreck.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 07:07:43 AM »

I have found tires at Sam's Club (Goodyear -Vesta) Steer tire $254  Drive $262

Does anyone have any experience with these tires?  I see them advertised when I go to Sam's, although I have never inquired about them.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »

I thought the Sam's Club tires were more money than that.  The big issue for me was having to special order them and then haul them all to a tire shop to get mounted.

I paid $362 each for Firestone FS590 Plus tires in April 2006.  This was mounted with all taxes and fees.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: