Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:28:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of Conversion  (Read 2530 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »

A good man knows his limitations. A good bus converter knows when to pay top dollar & when to wait for a better deal. A great converter knows how to network/ barter & build lasting friendships along the way.

Not everyone that pays 'top dollar' is impatient or incapable of planning ahead.
Don't forget about unforeseeable events that provide a compelling reason to pay full price. Breakdowns while on a trip, cut tire, damage from road debris, etc

(My house is mine, even tho I didn't build it, it is still mine. 4 of my buses are mine even if they were given to me.)

There is absolutely nothing wrong in calling your bus conversion your own even if you paid for someone else to do all the work. Since YOU paid for it, you did the hardest part.  Grin

Bus conversions are as individualized as their owners & the paths they take.

Of all the conversions I have seen, the best ones were the ones where the owner made the best call as to who did the actual work & chose to build to their taste, NOT some future owner.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 01:46:30 PM »

To be clear, I am still a wannabe in the bus arena, but this reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend the other day on paying someone to do something vs. doing it yourself. (Of course, this assumes that the task is something that one has the capability to do themselves, and I have the money available to pay for it.)

If the task is something that I do not genuinely enjoy doing (mowing the lawn, for example), I use a simple calculation: Knowing what I make per hour and how long it would take me to do it, can I hire someone to do it for less than half of that amount?  If I can, life is too short and I would rather spend that time with my wife and kids.

Probably wouldn't work for everyone, but it is simple and it is something my wife and I have agreed to, as a means of simplifying decisions.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »

Of all the conversions I have seen, the best ones were the ones where the owner made the best call as to who did the actual work & chose to build to their taste, NOT some future owner.

Thanks Kyle,  Just wanted to make sure everyone knew who you were talking about.....LOL    Grin

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »

Yes Cliff, the world still revolves around you.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »

Yes Cliff, the world still revolves around you.  Cool

Now, Now......not the world, but the Hurricanes seem to be.............

May be sending one your way...............

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »

Now, Now......not the world, but the Hurricanes seem to be.............
May be sending one your way...............
Cliff

Hey Cliff,
   Ain't it their turn?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »

I enjoy doing the work myself. I have not had to pay anyone yet, sometimes I wish that was possible. Grin

I just wanna drive the darn thing and not worry about it! Grin

If anyone sees a trail of red dust on the way to TBR than you're following to close!

Everyone else, have fun and enjoy life! Wink

Thanks TomC and Dallas for a great ride! Both of YOU have lots of smarts when it comes to this crazy hobby that can drive us all NUTS!

One thought I did have was this. For all the newcomers to the board Tom's posts give information that otherwise they might not know. For us oldtimers we have read the numbers numerous times. Yes it gets boring but I overlook that because I already know it. It's really no big deal.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 06:10:40 PM by Dreamscape » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »

Hey Cliff,
   Ain't it their turn?  Jack

It sure is.......

Might eliminate that accumulation of HOT air near Greer, SC.....LOL   Tongue

Cliff

Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:24 PM »

It sure is.......
Might eliminate that accumulation of HOT air near Greer, SC.....LOL   Tongue
Cliff

Just so it don't hit around that first week-end in October!  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »

Might eliminate that accumulation of HOT air near Greer, SC.....LOL   Tongue

Cliff

Hey, I resemble that!

Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

I saw the "shot " that was made about you Tom and I for one say it was not necessary.

I too follow what you have done to your transit and enjoy hearing what it costs.  Like what was said above many times we have to pay for the things that we don't want to do ourselves.

Having been a Mechanic for years and then moving to owner/management I make management type decisions IE: why lay on my back changing the rear end pumpkin when I can "pay" some young buck that needs/ wants to do it.

Many times paying to have it done is a smart decision. Sometimes doing it yourself is the smart decision knowing which to chose is experience.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
Blacksheep

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

Ok just for the record...

He agreed with me. I didn't agree with him! (I think)

Ace
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »

I didn't know thinking was allowed.  Shocked

Blacksheep

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »

Its not! I cheated and I did it all on my own with NO help from anyone!

Ace
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »

Cool Cool Cool

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: