Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:00:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ft Wilderness Here we come!!!  (Read 2585 times)
Blacksheep

« on: September 03, 2008, 08:04:25 PM »

Bus loaded with food, clothes, and of course fuel!

Touched base with Manny and we have a designated meeting place on I-4 at the rest area then were off to meet up with Joe & Susie at I-4 & 27. Then a short jump to Disney to meet up with the others coming from the other direction. I think one had to drop out due to, ahem, he booked his reservation for the following week. DUH! He can't change it because he got time off from work. Disney would change but he can't besides his daughter just had a baby last week and it's still under warranty and he said his bus wasn't ready to go anyway THIS week! We're sure gonna miss him! LOL

Anyway, I didn't get my LR done like I wanted but it's close. My tv lift actuator will be here the afternoon of the day we leave and the other pieces I ordered will be here the day we return! Oh well at least the fireplace/TV cabinet is done and ready and waiting for when I DO get all the pieces. I WAS able to get the new End Table done and it serves well!

I was able to acquire new to me but very slightly used Prevost plastic chrome hub caps and lug nut covers from another friend. He didn't like them on his MCI but I DO! They look pretty good ON and way less maintenence being they are plastic over the other ones which are SS.

New interior lights in the BR made a huge difference in lighting as did the lamps that now adorn the LR. Nothing like a table lamp for the down home feeling!

Almost forgot. I installed a wine glass rack that I actually had to modify to work that went under my LR/Kit ceiling divider. It holds 8 wine glasses and just added that little something extra. I'll probably use them for Tea or water. I don't do too much wine, not that that can't  change.

Oh well, did my pre trip and looks like nothing else to do except hook up the trailer, load the golf cart, air it up, get Susan and Bud on board and get gone!

Yes a short 4 dayer and not that far from home (maybe an hour and some) but really looking forward to it, and away from work and home!

Ya'll have fun! We will, and I'll be sure to take some pictures to share!

C-Ya!

Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:51:02 AM »

Ace,
   Ya'll enjoy your trip.  Just think, because it is so close to home, you don't have to spend a lot for fuel, soooo, you can give more to Mickey & his friends!  LOL  Tell everyone we said Hi. Jack
PS: Paula said to tell Trixie Hi. 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:30:56 AM »

Will do Jack! Not going to give Mickey very much! Not much left to give! LOL

Trixie? Hmm, I'll have find out who that is but will do so!

Ace
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:38:49 AM »

Trixie? Hmm, I'll have find out who that is but will do so!
Ace

Joe & Susie's Marmoset monkey.  The one Paula was holding at Ft. Myers.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:52 AM »

Tell us in detail about Ft Wilderness since I want to stay there one day also and if it is worth the relatively high price.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
BusMom

1978 GM4905A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »

Ace, Let us know where they put you and how easy it is to get in and out with your bus.  We are planning a trip there for Christmas with the kids.  My sister in law went this summer, but they only have a 15 foot trailer (bit of a difference with a 40 foot bus).  I have heard a lot of good things about Ft. Wilderness and that it is well worth the money.  So give us your opinion  Wink.  Amy

Amy Riley
Norman (Oklahoma City Area), Oklahoma
Blacksheep

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »

Ok being I'm a tell it like I see it kind of guy let me say SO FAR, I'm not impressed but let me also say that I will post more after I look around and I WILL look around before I return!
Seeing as how I'm on my phone now can't sat a lot but I did bring laptop so I can post more info and pics.
Ace
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »

Tell us in detail about Ft Wilderness since I want to stay there one day also and if it is worth the relatively high price.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom,

Since I also live close, I have been there several times.

I found it to be very clean and well maintained.  I always told them I have a 40' coach and have been able to get in without a hitch.

They keep the underbrush cleared out which gives up a lot of your privacy, but if it was there the mosquito's would be unbearable.

I would only stay there if I was going to one of the parks. And that is because of the free ground transportation that they provide, it is second to none.

They have all the usual amenities of better RV resorts, but there is traffic everywhere, either there buses, golf carts, or whatever.

You could try a campsite at Lake Lousia State park, they are about 80% less than Ft Wilderness will hit you up for, and only 20 minutes to WDW.  Though you will have to pay the daily 12 or 15 dollars to park at WDW.  Just no pool.  I have Kids, so the pool and easy transportation inside tips the scale to Disney.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Blacksheep

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:56 PM »

Cliff not to cut in but when were you last? To be honest, I'm still surveying everything and so far, a lot of swampy areas and NO grass to speak of! They knew we were 40 footers and I think they put us in the smallest not to mention the tightest spots availlable!
So far I'm not very impressed, but the night is young! I forgot to mention right behind my spot there is a rat trap that says do not disturb, and its in the muck if that's what its called!
Ace
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »

We were there in June, 1900 loop.

It sounds like you're describing where we were parked.   Shocked
Was real interesting backing in just a 32' trailer.

Definitely not the picturesque site the advertising hype portrayed.  Sad
Forget privacy between the sites!
But, that wasn't the bigest disappointment, there was someone there with dogs that were constantly baying, thankfully they left the next day.  Grin

Despite the site's shortcomings, we had a great time.  Grin  Grin
Hope y'all do too.  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:59:20 PM »

I have stayed at one campground over my five years of RVing so I don't know what is typical.

How wide are typical camping sites in most campgrounds?  How wide are the sites are Fort Wilderness?

The camper parking lot I help run every year is 12 feet wide I think which is a joke.  The campgrounds with water and electric at the same site is 21 feet wide for slideouts and less for non-slides.  The campgrounds actually has a special exception to state law becuase state law requires wider sites.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Blacksheep

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 02:03:36 PM »

Having fun but just a little over advertised for the condition of spots.
I will make the best of what there is only because I am with friends. I don't think I would recommend this place to people with buses. Pop ups yes, buses, ah not really! There are some loops that look somewhat attractive but again only some. I see a lot of class C MH's and tents.
I have taken some pics but will post them later!
Oh and I'm in the 700 loop!
Ace
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:14 PM »

Hi ACE,

I was in the 700 loop back in Feb.  It's tight but, I think it's mostly their bigger sites... Watch out at night,

you may fall down off the site and into the swamp if you had a few.. I had to unmount my KVH A-7 sat and

move it to the rear of my bus to get a signal. Those tall pines are a bi**h.

Yu'll be OK, just hit the lake at dusk and watch the fireworks and the pete's dragon barges.

Have Fun
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »

Ace,

I was there in February of this year also, missed Nick by a couple of weeks.

We have been in the 1200 and 1700 loop.

Heres a map;
http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_Disney_World_Resorts/_ResortAssets/Fort_Wilderness_Resort_Campground/Fort_Wilderness_Resort_Campground_Map.pdf

Hey, I told you it was only a destination IF I was going to one of the parks.

Ace wrote:I forgot to mention right behind my spot there is a rat trap that says do not disturb

Thats to keep you from sneaking around at night....... Grin

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Blacksheep

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »

Cliff that's funny! If you could only see where were parked, you would agree, I aint sneeking around anywhere after dark! Heck when I parked I thought I was at the lost lagoon!
Sitting here waiting for the outdoor movie! Probably a chip and dale cartoon!
So far had a great dinner. The new 69.00 SS gas grill ee got at
Lowes worked like a champ against the pork chops which lost out in the battle! Sometimes the cheap stuff works better than the high $$$ stuff!
Gotta run...
Ace
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »

Ace,

Your right!

If you really look close at that area they built that whole place on a swamp.......

I must admit that there wasn't any water when we were there......

Did I mention the "Moss Monster".....nevermind....Just don't go out at night....I am not KIDDING! Wink Grin

Cliff

Mark Twain
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »

i can't believe you're complaining Ace.  it's so unlike you  Tongue Tongue Tongue

we were there a few years ago.  As cliff said, great place if you are going to mickey's place, otherwise not a place i'd stay cause the sites are toooo close, toooo small and there wasn't a place to walk the dog outside our area.  (i found the sign that said no dogs on our way back from the beach the 3rd day.  i was taking Bandit down to watch the fireworks on the beach.  fortunately, none of Mickey's guards came by to tell me i was violating the rules.)

the transportation was good, the boats and buses were fairly convenient, and Prince Charmings palace was way too crowded.  not really my cup of tea.

We were in the 35 ft winnie at the time as my son got married there.  (In June, for Pete's sake, hotr'n heck and i'm in a suit on the beach with the palace in the background.  geesh).

i prefer Fish Eatin' Creek in January.  Cheesy Cheesy

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Blacksheep

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 05:27:28 AM »

Got up this morning to a steady soft rain like this place needs more water!
Last night went the sing a long which was fun along with the campfire but chose to skip the movie Tarzan. Caught up with friends and went to the beach to watch fireworks only to be told to leave! Went to the docks and watched the light parade which was very good and then the fireworks that were in unyson (sp) with music and a story that you hear on the PA.
Came back and watched a little local channel tv due to satellite not working due to the many trees!
Tom, yea regarding the dopg walk? Well let me say Bud lives on a very grassy acre so he likes to do his business on grass. Well we walked and walked and found nothing but pine needles! That is just not Bud! I sure hope we find some grass soon for BOTH our sakes!
Poor Bud!
Also, a LOT of bus traffic like every 10 minutes. These are shuttles, not conversions!
Oh well time for breakfast!
Later...

Ace
Blacksheep

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 03:14:26 PM »

Well so far today started out wet but barnowl who was nearby came by with his wife for a visit!
About 1pm Susan and I decided to take off on the boat to tour the lodge and other resorts! Huge buildings with huge prices I'm sure. The monorail was fun since its been a long time being on one. As we were getting off of one our other bussin friends were just getting on to go to dinner at some polynesian hut. Chatted until their ride came and it was back on the boat for a return trip to camp swampy!
Rain on and off but nothing hard. Made it cooler for outdoor sitting!
Just got done seeing some NY strips lose out to my new 69.00 grill. I'm here to tell you, this grill is now 2-0 with no losses in sight!
Contemplating a bus trip into downtown disney since this place is quiet!
Hey, its for kids and likely so!
Ahh I'm pretty full of steak and cronies so I better go.
Oh an update... We found grass! LOL

Ace
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »

Hay Ace,

If you get a chance tomorrow, take the Micky boat over to the Wilderness Lodge and have lunch

at the Wispering Canyon Cafe. Pretty good food and make sure you ask a waitress for Top Shelf Ketchup.....

It's really good stuff!

If you really want to have fun, take your golf cart on the horse trails. They go all the way around to the Magic Kingdom.

The trail starts up front next to the stables.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Blacksheep

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 12:25:24 PM »

Nick tried the horse path but got caught by security! Tried to convince him that me and my lady were just making out but he didn't buy it and ran us off!
Hey it was a trip for us to use the bus. Susan and I did go canoeing and that was WELL worth the 11 bucks!
Other than that, not much else going on except I was able to fatten the mosquitos some last night! They were out in force!
Were home now and the trip back was uneventful. Susan and I were trying to decide where we can use all the food and fuel were stocked up on at! Might do a couple of weekends with one busnut that couldn't make this trip then flywheelers rally for sure!
Bus ran great but due for an oil/lube etc before we head out again!
As for Ft. Swampy? If your in anything other than a 40 footer that doesn't have satellite or a dog and you just need a place to take the kids or grand kids then this MIGHT be a good place to go as others have stated! For me? Ahh, I think if I was looking to lay around and rest, I'd just as soon do it in my yard! Less fuel, less rules, easier to get in and out and actually more to do and cheaper. That is, for guys my age!
Would I return? Not unless they spend a lot of money upgrading the lots and surrounding areas!
Call me spoiled but I didn't build a 40 foot coach to camp in a swamp where almost everything gets dirty if you walk thru it or touch it!

Ace
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »

Ace,

I am from Pa originally but I retired from SD Cal.  I returned to Pa. to just visit but ended up being the care giver for my Dad for the next six years.  While taking care of him in Pittsburgh I opted to take us both to Fla and Disney World.  We stayed in Ft Wilderness.  It was a really nice place and we had giant ferns and such between the spots and tall pine trees overhead for shade.  No bugs, dry, quiet and lush.  It is like you and I visited two different planets.  We had a really nice time but we share one aspect of the trip....it was expensive.

The next year we went to Ft. Myers and stayed at the Pioneer Village.  GREAT place!  All the amenities and lotsa sand.  I had two dogs as I had bought my Dad a Whippet for his birthday.  We fessed up at registration and they sent us to a section reserved for those traveling with pets.  I was pleased that I would have neighbors that "understood" dog people.  The name of that part of the park was "DOGPATCH".

We weren't even to the point of leveling the coach and I had 4 visitors chatting with Dad while he held the dogs and beamed at the attention.  I was told that because this was Wed., the main street of Dogpatch would be blocked of and there would be a grand pot luck.  I was told that because we only got there we would only be "permitted" to bring our appetite.  The food was superb.  While there I was chatting with a guy that it evolved was the Mayor of Dogpatch and he was the incumbent for 4 years running. He officiated but barely and I commented that he wasn't very political.  Another guy I spent an hour chatting with, ex Air Force, like myself, surprised me when I asked what breed of dog he had.  He said "ow. we don't have a dog or any pet.  I asked him why he stayed in Dogpatch cause the main park was only about half full at that time.  He said "dog people are really special and I like the environment and community spirit here".  He added that Pioneer had 1,600 spaces (or some such) and nowhere in it did they have streets blocked off for "pot lucks" or Hawaii nites and whatever else.  He said" I know that because we stayed in the main park every year for 5 years and then we got "stuck" with Dogpatch because the rest was full."  He said that that was the last time he had stayed anywhere else.  His wife told Dad that they corresponded with 15 other families and saw most of them every year as they stayed in Dogpatch for at least a month.  It was like a family reunion down there.  I had the Toranado toad hooked up and was ready to pull out when every person in the vicinity showed up to bid Dad a farewell and give us cards and notes with addresses and phone numbers.  Took an extra 45 minutes to pull out and we had gone around that morning to say goodbye to all before I hooked up.  When I cleared the park entrance Dad said "weren't those such very nice people?" ,,,and he was crying.  I said " they were all Yankee "Snow Birds", Pap.  but the South has that affect on people".  I knew cause I spent years traveling around down there on Gummint business before retiring.

Glad you had fun ACE and I hope you can go back for vacations.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »

Great entertaining tales guys. Thank you for a pleasant read. Makes a person happy to have friends who are "BusNuts"!

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Blacksheep

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »

Hi Bob! How you and the misses doing?

There may be some tales in this here story somewhere but not from me I can assure you! Hey isn't there some sort of ruby mine or exotic gem mine near or in Franklin? Heck we may have to come that way and try our luck at mining! Saw something about it on the discovery channel or one of them channels the other night and when they mentioned Franklin, I said I know someone that resides there! Hey If you have any other information on that stuff, send it to me!
You never know, I may become very wealthy! Yea right and NO I haven't been hitting the Cronies yet but now that I think about it, catch me later... and mining for whatever it was in your neck of the woods would be kind of fun or maybe a trip to California to try my luck at Gold!  HMM Roll Eyes

Ace
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: