Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:09:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: extra diesel tank  (Read 2325 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2006, 08:11:53 AM »

My 4106 has  the stock 140 gal fuel tank (of course) and my propane-in-the-butt Gen-set is in the bay opposite the tank (other side). Will be changing over to a diesel generator next year and think I'll mount the new unit in the first bay behind the right front wheel( forgive me for not knowing the proper designation for these bays). when I remove the old gen set I would like to use that bay for another fuel tank.My question is how do I go about doing this.Would I need to have the tank custom built, if so what kind of manufacturing shop could do such a thing. Don't want to be running down the road with a poorly built tank full of kaboom juice you know!!I realize I could mount a small tank I there pretty easy but I want as big a tank as I can squeeze in there,also want them hooked  together so I can fill them both at the same time and from the original filler door. Any thoughts?? any on out there been through this?

Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Ace

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:23:22 AM »

Tucson I would recommend keeping the original tank as it is. If your wanting to still put in a second tank, use it for the generator only! You can find tanks that are already made at salvage yards or surplus shops that would probably fit pretty good and serve the purpose. Remember your generator CAN leave you stranded if run long enough off the main fuel tank/s. There are ways to keep this from happening by making a shorter pick-up tube for the generator. It's just easier to have a designated tank for the generator and by doing so, you can purchase off road fuel in certain geographical areas which is cheaper. Why spend more for fuel if your not using it to go down the road? Just my opinion!
As for tanks, plastic tanks have been found and can be inexpensive and also can be made to fit. There are a few guys on here who have done it with great success when they made their fresh/waste tanks. SS tanks would work but would result in more weight. I used an aluminum tank that came off a Peterbilt. I cut it to the size I wanted and capped it off. So far after 2 years, it serves well! You have many options that only you will know what will work best!

Ace
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:31:03 AM »

Just a suggestion- I would not add to your Diesel capacity-use it for other storage.  I also have a 140gal tank on my bus with the gen tapped into it.  I only get 5.5 mpg average and am satisfied with the range.  With your 06, you should be getting at least 8 if not close to 10mpg.  At 90% usuable at 8mpg that's a 1000 mile range!  Nowadays it is rare to be much more than a 100 miles from the next Diesel pump.  Also, if you fill up before going boondocking, you could easily have 100 gal to use for your genset.  At an average burn of about 1/2 gal an hour, that's 200 hours worth of gen running.  I run my genset about 4 hours a day average when boon docking.  At that rate you could sit for 50 days.  Even running the genset all day for A/C, figure 12 hours a day, that's 6 gal a day or over two weeks worth.
As to the placement of the genset, I'd suggest the first bay on the left behind the driver's seat.  This keeps the weight of the genset towards the front (it is hard to get weight on the front axle of a conversion) and on the left with the noise and heat away from the outside sitting area.  If you're using two roof airs (which is enough for a 35 ft'r with good insulation.  Two are almost enough for my 40x102 transit) an 8kw is enough.  I like the 8kw since most use a 3 cylinder, which is quieter than the 4 cylinder that puts out a definite intake hum-so much so that I bought a special intake muffler from Dick Wright at Wrico International that did quiet the intake, but still can hear the hum.  One more thing- make sure you not only make the generator as quiet as possible from the inside of the bus but also as quiet as you can make it on the outside of the bus to be considerate to your neighbors.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a too quiet generator.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »

Thanks guys,I'll look over the bays a little closer. my propane tanks are now in the first bay on the driver side and the bay is only about two feet deep. I'll look closer. I was assumeing that this was the stock configueration but it might something the original conversion co. built (the back wall that is). I will think this over a little more.You guys have given me some good thoughts.
 By the way,Tom, I don't think I'm getting any where near 10 mpg. Best I can do is around 6 1/2. It does have bigger injectors but no other changes.the fellow I bought it from said 65s but I won't know for sure until I pull the valve covers next wk.I ran a 318 horse 8v71 nfor years in an old cab-over and seemed to get about the same mileage I getting with this one,feel like I should be doing better?One reason I was thinking of adding a tank. Any thoughts?

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:00:03 PM »

In case you want to go with another tank, there's a guy on ebay who has an "in" with Freightiner and gets stuff thats new but unused.  He's got a gigantic pile of new tanks, both aluminum and steel, in many shapes and capacities, at pretty good prices.  If you email him he'll send you a PDF spreadsheet of what he's got to offer...
his ebay handle is:
http://stores.ebay.com/Surplus-Neils-Big-Truck-Parts-Stuff

I also have to recommend his "bucket of fittings" that he sells for 25 bucks.  Amazing pile of air tubing and other brass fittings.  I got a bucket and out of 5-10 parts I used I've already paid for it.  Good stuff this guy has....

Cheers

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »

I had a pain in the a----- propane generator which I replaced with another and then it went bad.  I bit the bullett and bought a deisel gen, good move,  the old propane tank was a 65 gal and took up most of one bay on my MCI 7.  With the diesel we put in another pick up tube which is 5 inches from the bottom of the tank so no way will the gen run the bus out of diesel.  I then removed the 65 gal tank and put in two 7 and a half propane tanks.  I now have the use of almost half a bay which was unusable before.  I agree with one of the above post use where the old propane tank was for storage and just plumb into the main tank for your gen. 
Just my two cents worth but it works for me.
ED MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:58:49 PM »

Once again thanks for the help. You guys know everythihg!!!!!!! would hate to own a bus and not have the support of this board!                   Tucson

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:38:26 PM »

In case you want to go with another tank, there's a guy on ebay who has an "in" with Freightiner and gets stuff thats new but unused.  He's got a gigantic pile of new tanks, both aluminum and steel, in many shapes and capacities, at pretty good prices.  If you email him he'll send you a PDF spreadsheet of what he's got to offer...
his ebay handle is:
http://http://stores.ebay.com/Surplus-Neils-Big-Truck-Parts-Stuff
I also have to recommend his "bucket of fittings" that he sells for 25 bucks.  Amazing pile of air tubing and other brass fittings.  I got a bucket and out of 5-10 parts I used I've already paid for it.  Good stuff this guy has....
Cheers

If I'm not mistaken the guy works in the surplus center of the Portland, OR Freightliner Dealer! They have an awsome resale store out back that has all kinds neat goodies! Well worth stopping in if yer in the area and like shopping for goodies, gadgets and why not's! I used to stop there any and everytime I was in the area bought a lot of stuff (OR has no sales tax), I'd forgoten about the place until I recently saw the guy on ebay selling stuff from there and then just got reminded by Boogie the Cat's post again! I need to get out there ! BK Cool Grin Roll Eyes

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 11:00:34 PM »

Come go with us. Susan and I are leaving around the first of July and goin all the way up the cost from L.A. to Seattle.

Tucson

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:53 AM »

Have you decided on your route yet?
Richard

Come go with us. Susan and I are leaving around the first of July and goin all the way up the cost from L.A. to Seattle.

Tucson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 10:10:40 AM »

Hi Richard,
   Our plans for now are to spend the first night on the coast at El Capitan, the next at San Simeon, the third night at Half Moon Bay. Looking at the map I think we should be around Fort Bragg the next nite.After that we will probably go on to the redwoods.
   Nice to hear from you this morning, had planed to write to you ( last week) and get your input on hopping back and forth between the 1 and the 101 to avoid the tuff spots on the 1,however work had other plans. Nice thing about being the boss, no one ever tells you to to go home you've been here long enough.Been getting out of there about 10:00 every nite this week.
   Sure could use a little guidance here from some one who has driven that stretch before,it all looks nice and flat on my map. I'm sure its not. They should put the steep windy parts it some sort of day-glo color.
    We don't want screw up the trip by over-planing our time. we have given ourselves the whole month to get to Seattle and back to Tucson.Any advice?
                                           Thanks.........                 Tucson

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »

Tucson-last summer while wondering up and down the Calif and Oregon coast coming and going to Rickreall, Or get together, before I left, I puchased some very detailed road atlases (had two for California and one for Oregon) that really shows the detail of how twisty the roads are and have topography lines on to be able to tell the up and down of the road also.  These atlases are red in color and bought them at one of the big book store outlets.  Because of these atlases, I didn't go on the stretch of highway one going through Fort Bragg (actually it is the section north of Fort Bragg that was such a mother).  Stop in at Barnes and Noble, Walden, Borders to pick them up-even though they are $20 each, they are well worth it.  Just a suggestion, while 299 going from Eureka to Redding looks inviting, I can say that that is one of the worst roads I've ever taken (and this coming from an ex truck driver).  Very scenic, but lots of ups and downs with many curves-great for a sports car.  Even worse than the stretch of highway one from Hurst castle to Monterey, Ca.  Personally, after San Simeon (you have to park at Morro Bay as there isn't any overnight parking at the castle), I'd come back out to 101 and go up to Salinas, then come back to Highway 1.  But, if you are going to do it, going north is definetely the way to go, since going south, you'd be on the cliff side much of the way.  If you go up into Oregon, be sure to stop at the Sea Lion Caves.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »

Wish I could help more but it has been several years since I traveled that part of the country and I just really do not remember all the bad places.

Hopefully some of the members that live in that area or have traveled it recently can give you some clues.

Remember to take notes so you can fill us in when you return!!
Richard

Hi Richard,
   Our plans for now are to spend the first night on the coast at El Capitan, the next at San Simeon, the third night at Half Moon Bay. Looking at the map I think we should be around Fort Bragg the next nite.After that we will probably go on to the redwoods.
   Nice to hear from you this morning, had planed to write to you ( last week) and get your input on hopping back and forth between the 1 and the 101 to avoid the tuff spots on the 1,however work had other plans. Nice thing about being the boss, no one ever tells you to to go home you've been here long enough.Been getting out of there about 10:00 every nite this week.
   Sure could use a little guidance here from some one who has driven that stretch before,it all looks nice and flat on my map. I'm sure its not. They should put the steep windy parts it some sort of day-glo color.
    We don't want screw up the trip by over-planing our time. we have given ourselves the whole month to get to Seattle and back to Tucson.Any advice?
                                           Thanks.........                 Tucson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: