Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some advice guys, 4104 Water Pump  (Read 1110 times)
T Chellis

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2006, 10:21:35 AM »

I need some advice....I have a pd 4104 1958 with a Detroit 671.. The drain plug on the engine water pump has been  leaking so I pulled it out looked it over put some pipe dope on it and put it back in and still leaks. So I looked a little closer  with a bright light and I can see a small crack in the bottom of the pump where the plug screws into. I figure a new water pump. How difficult is it to replace? Do I have to mess with the blower? Thanks for your advise in advance....T Chellis

I'll modify the above. I couldn't waste anymore time so I jumped into the thing. I removed the water pump and it was very easy.  I will now locate a new pump....Thanks 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 03:33:47 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:53:20 PM »

Just a thought --

Why not use a small drill and drill a "crack stop check" hole close to the end of the crack line

Grind the crack surface and a little v groove and use 2 part regular JB WELD

JB weld works great on lots of surfaces - cast iron included - I've repaired a crack in a GMC classic motorhome
casting - never failed

What have you got to lose

"THIS IS A NO FLAK BACK" suggestion - please

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
NCbob

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »

I might not be correct in remembering how the circulating pump mounts in a 6-71 but.... While I can remember it takes a special wrench to get at one or two of the mounting bolts...I believe I recall that it's driven by a 3 pronged 'thingy' which mates to another 3 pronged 'thingy'.  so once you drain the system and have the special wrench to remove the virtually inaccessible bolt...it should be a 'no sweat' deal.  Huh

I'm not twisting your tail guy...but probably the best thing to do is to either have a good Detroit Wrench replace the pump or get ready for some real grief! Undecided

With the transverse engine mounting I can't help but think..."I don't wanna do this"! Tongue
T Chellis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »

Update on Water pump.  Ihad no problem getting pump off. The bolt that is hard to get to is a nut and not a bolt. It is slow but I did it with an open end wrench.  The crack in the pump is about 1" long. I'm told it cannot be traded in with the crack.  It will (knowing my mechanical ability) take twice as long to put it back on as to taking it off.  I think before I do the JB Weld thing I will see what DEtroit gets for a replacement pump.  I like your Idea of JB weld though.  It's the weekend so I will see what I can find out this Mon.  Again I really appreciate this board to talk to people that have been there before.     T. Chellis
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »

Don't forget to check with Luke @ US Coach, too.  1-888-262-2434 between 9-5 Eastern, M-F.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: