Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:24:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sitting in the driveway doing 80 MPH!!  (Read 3577 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:50:15 AM »

My bus is sitting in my driveway doing 80 MPH!!

On our trip this summer, my speedo quit just as we were leaving Laramie to head home. I didn't want to take the time to try to diagnose it, and thought it was probably just a broken wire due to the sensor cable being too tight for the sharp right turn I had to make to get out of the gas station. I simply reset my GPS and used it for speedo and odometer on the trip home.

Sure enough, yesterday I found the broken wire, and repaired it. Since all my records are based on the odometer reading, I decided I wanted to put the 1000+ miles back on the speedometer, so using a cheapo $5 electric drill, a 1" spade bit, a worm gear clamp and some pieces of plywood and bailing wire, I made a simple fixture to add miles to my speedo without having to run the bus. I just have to leave the master switch on and run this rig for about 13 hours, but it's working great.

I'll post photos later.

Cheesy

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
cody

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:53:14 AM »

We want to know the MPG too, expiring minds want to know lol.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

While I have never tried it, I think you could use a low voltage transformer and a diode to generate a 60 PPS square wave to drive the speedo.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »

While I have never tried it, I think you could use a low voltage transformer and a diode to generate a 60 PPS square wave to drive the speedo.

Len

Maybe.  But I wasn't sure exactly what the signal is that's generated by the magnetic pickup, so I looked around to find something I could use to machanically excite the magnetic pickup. I found a flat spade bit in a drill works great! Every time the edge passes the pickup, it generates the sense signal.

As for fuel mileage, its approaching infinity miles per gallon!  Shocked

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »

I would get a hub odometer if you really want to keep close track of your mileage.  JD gave me one that I need to install some day.

I haven't been keeping real good track of my mileage as the antenna for my GPS speedometer needs to be mounted somewhere where it won't fall off and quit working.  It also isn't perfect as it won't track mileage inside tunnels.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »

I must say that I'm definetly impressed! I mean who'd thunk'd it, I've seen all kinds of unscrupuless characters do stuff like that to roll back the miles! But I ain't never seen nobody go to that kinda trouble to add miles, and then brag about it too! LOL! Grin  BK  Grin

Sounds like a good way to do it though!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »

I left Timmonsville and my speedo quit, no problem I have GPS!! I went to Old Town FL for a few days. When I left there my GPS quit!!  What is it about bus's Huh  Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »

We did the same as kids, but in reverse to take miles off the car, so Dad didn't know how many miles we did drive.

Ray D
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

I would get a hub odometer if you really want to keep close track of your mileage.  JD gave me one that I need to install some day.

Don't need one.  I have a perfectly good mechanical speedometer with odometer. And, it works inside tunnels, too.   Tongue

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »

Would doing 80 MPH in the driveway sitting still be the same, but not exactly like, indicating 0 mph on the Interstate while doing 80 MPH?  The whole world wonders and inquiring minds inquire.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 02:35:28 PM »

Hi Craig,

I think you came up with a great idea of winding your speedo! Are you finished yet?  Grin

It's always a pleasure reading your posts, I admire a fella who figures things out then posts what he did. Cool

Paul
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »

The real question is whether a $5 drill will last for 13 hours of continuous operation. Inquiring minds want to know!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »

Hi Craig,

Ha Ha ... Getting Nowhere real Fast!  Cool Cheesy

Watch out for Smokies! Grin

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 05:43:04 PM »

I finished. I got my speedo back to exactly (to the 10th) where it should be!  The drill may have given up the ghost. The switch kept crapping out and drill would stop in the last 100 miles or so. I finally had to crank it wide open to finish the last 40 miles. The bearings were really chattering, I think. The one thing I realized in the end, is I could probably have done this in 1/3 the time. I had limited the drill so the speedometer only read 80 mph because that's where it was limited to, but when I cranked up the drill, the needle pegged at 80, but the miles were ticking by at a rate of 1 mile per 20 seconds, or about 180 mph!!

And HB, doing 80 in the driveway is not quite like doing 0 on the interstate. In the driveway, I could get up and get a beer without my family screaming!  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »

"I could get up and get a beer without my family screaming!"

mmmmmmm beer mmmmmmmmm

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »

"Take a trip, never leave the farm." Grin

Also is this your reaction to high fuel prices Huh Cheesy

Alt Low buck Repower  Huh  Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 06:35:32 AM »

Hey Craig,
I must have married an unethical woman, or did she marry me?
Anyway she would like to know if we run the speedo backwards can we then sell our bus as "low mileage"? Grin
How low can you go?
Devin

P.S.
Whatever would you have done if you had gone to sleep at the wheel and passed your target? Shocked

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:24 AM »

Of course if you spin it fast enough, you will slow the progression of time and your bus will last forever.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »

Hey Craig,
I must have married an unethical woman, or did she marry me?
Anyway she would like to know if we run the speedo backwards can we then sell our bus as "low mileage"? Grin
How low can you go?
Devin

P.S.
Whatever would you have done if you had gone to sleep at the wheel and passed your target? Shocked

Oddly enough, I found that direction of the drill didn't matter at all. The speedo and odometer only go up, not down. Of course this makes sense. The sensor can't tell direction.  All it sees is pulses of metal passing under it.

However, I heard about a guy yesterday who can take the speedo apart and reset the odometer to whatever you want. Might have been easier than running a drill for 13 hours!!  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: