Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 09:14:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: thermostat question  (Read 1185 times)
VAN

« on: September 07, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

What region of the country would a 190 thermostat be used in primarily?.Van
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Van; the 180 to 190 where pretty much a standard thermostat for the 92 series engine to maintain the minimum 175 degrees for the engine most Eagles have a large radiator so the 190 was used   have a great day
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:40 PM »

Also, keep in mind that the rated temperature is the point at which it begins opening.  For example, in the service manual for my RTS, it specifies that the 185 thermostats begin opening at 185 and are fully open at 198.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

Van, some of the newer emission engines may need 190 to pass. If that is the issue, I guess its ok. I don't know of any special area of the country that would dictate 190, usually in areas where its real cold, radiators are just covered up. 190 might give a coach a little more heat availability in cold weather.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
VAN

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »

Hey thanks,so what thermo is the most comonly used thermostat by the bus nut comunity.that helps maintain a properly cooled engine I know there are probably a lot of variables involved and eventually(lol)its goin to cool down here in vegas ,and eventually we will stray back out to the east coast some time soon(ohhh those variables )what should we use then(help) thanks.Van
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:54:07 PM »

Thermostat sets the minimum engine temperature, the cooling system and condition determine whether the engine will overheat.

Lower thermostats just delay the overheating, if the rads/fans are no good.

Use the thermostat that the engine manufacturer recommended for its year of manufacture.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
VAN

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 06:59:55 PM »

okie doeky,thanks .I'll try to look it up .Van
luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »

CW,I use 185 in mine but have to cover the radiator when we go to Idaho in the winter for a long time I would change to 195 for the winter but don't do that anymore with the long life antifreeze on the market now (and the price of antifreeze)
VAN

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »

Hey thanks all ,covering the rad is easy sure enough,been goin hru every thing and making a short list of the parts i'm gonna need to get the 6v back together thanks all
Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:44 AM »

CW,

Has Don finished his work on your engine yet?

Good Luck with your fresh rebuild!

Paul
VAN

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »

Hi paul,At last I spoke with him a week ago he had'nt started on them yet as he was trying to finish up what jobs he had going first.This is fine it gives me some time to get things cleaned up and ready for the new heads.The 100+ temps are just hangin in there but should receed soon I hope.Won't be able to make it to the TBR this year but Hope to be up and running for Qaurzite meet in Jan.I figured on traveling back east(long island & new jersey) on the 20th to visit the kids and maybe do some scouring thru some salvage yards searching for the metal front and rear bumpers for the 15.I'm shure that once Don gets started he'll have the heads whipped up in no time at all,thanks for asking .Van
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: