Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery charger wiring  (Read 3417 times)
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »

OK now that I have a battery charger (Iota dsl-75) I am wondering if the wiring done as showen in the dirgram below will charger both batteries.

The charger is attached to 1 battery and the cables on the other battery conect to the starter in the exact same places for both batteries. 

Will that charge both of them or just the one the charger is attached to?

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »

Me thinks that if you leave that hooked up for weeks you will hurt a battery.  The start should NOT be in parallel with the house.  Install a solinoid BETWEEN the house and start so if you need to you can call the house into play to assist the start......momentarily.  Ideally you should only strap batteries in parallel that were bought at the same time and are from the same manufactures lot number.  Tehy tend to discharge into each other when not connected to a charger.  You can use your charger to charge either bats but not at the same time.  Keep the charger hooked up all the time if it has a float voltage and sw off the converter and having different bats in parallel in the House circuit won't matter so much if at all.

HTH and others will comment...I hope,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 03:58:33 PM »

For what it's worth, I have a similar charger and I wired it to the house batts. I also have a rotary switch that connects the coach to start batt, house batts. or both.  When in the both position it charges both start and house batts. Hope this helps...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:01 PM »

at the time they are both starting batteries I donot have any house batteries.

The charger soes have a float charger in it I am hopeing it will keep them both up while i am working with the system so I don't have to charger them aonther way.

Thanks

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »

Bob your batteries are in parallel but in a strange way for most attach the + to one and the - to the other and both will charge with the float working also
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »

Looks good from here, Bob!

You can attach the battery charger anywhere that is convenient. At the batteries, at the starter, at the alternator, anywhere you can get the positive and negative easy, the charger will do the job.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »

Your float option will not work hooking to one battery it will float one battery I have a Iota dsl-75-IQ4 so hook the positive to 1 and the negative to the other or it will boil the water in the first battery   great chargers   have a great day
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:00:57 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »

I think Busswarrior is right.  If you hook the charger to one battery and one of the two bats in parallel starts to boil you have problems.  Maybe the bats being way different in age would cause that but it shouldn't happen if all connections are good and the bats are matched even close.  Then on the other hand, Luvr and 2Stroke are not rookies or stupid either one.  I'm confused now.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »

Being they are starter battery as a unit...you can charge both batteries at the same time and read on....

However, you must hook positive charger to #1 battery + post and hook the negative charger to #2 battery - post. The reason is to equally spread the resistance load of the starter's cables while being charging.

Other wise you will under charge one of two batteries according to your wiring schematic. Or charge one battery at a time if you don't follow the above direction.

All parallel batteries hook up to starter and charger as per attach picture of parallel batteries connection.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:49:51 PM »

Gerald I have no doubt of your positive intention or sincerity.  My understanding of "tricity" leads me to doubt your procedure.  My experience says you may be compensating for anticipated deterioration in t5he quality of the connections in the bat circuits.  I don't know.  If that is in fact the case this some sweet piece of news cause the "need" to hook up that way is not intuitive to me at all.  On the other hand I am sure that connecting as you have suggested will have no harmful affect.  Does anybody have a technical explanation for the need for this procedure?

Thanks,

John

—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 05:15:51 AM »

Yeah, what Sojourner said.

I tried to write a technical explaination, but realized I don't know the technical terms, but basically it has to do with the charger making a circuit between it's positive and negative leads. If you hook it to a single battery, that circuit only includes that one battery. The remaining batteries only get charged by way of the little lectrons flowing from the high state battery to the low state battery through the interconnecting cables, whcih results in lower voltage and current.

If you hook it up the way Jerry says, the circuit includes all the batteries and they all become a single battery at the same voltage and current. Note that the interconnecting cables could restrict the charge current if they are too small.

Techincally, if you hook them up the way Bob shows in his diagram, it would charge, eventually. It might cause the battery you hook the charger to to boil, while the second battery might be undercharged. If you hook them up the way Jerry shows, it would be more efficient, and all batteries will get an equal charge if the interconnect cables are sized properly.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:17 AM »

Gentlemen,

Gerald's solution is probably the best from a theoretical  standpoint, but practically it makes no MEASURABLE difference how the parallel battery/charger/load are connected as long as the interconnecting cables are of adequate size.

Actually, the connection shown below would be the best assuming that all the connections from the batteries to the junction were exactly the same length.  It really makes no real difference whatsoever if the cables are adequate and the connections well made.

If you have one battery in a parallel string that is boiling, it is a bad battery.

If in Bob's situation, that batteries are 20 feet apart, that's a whole different discussion.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:23:05 AM »

Well guys I can tell you one thing Lifeline replaced the first 8D in my battery bank 4 times because of over charging ( would swell and blow the valve) the Iota charger was hooked to the first battery in the string and the electronics in the charger would not read it properly.Iota and Lifeline hooked it + to the first battery and - to the last battery and no problems since.It was a blame game between the 2 for about 2 years.If it is not clear to Bob I suggest he call Iota the manufacture that made the charger this is not your Dads charger made in the 50s and 60s.Solar chargers will do a number on the first battery in a bank if hooked up to one everyone does it their way  have a great day
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 08:48:17 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »

Well guys I can tell you one thing Lifeline replaced the first 8D in my battery bank 4 times because of over charging ( would swell and blow the valve) the Iota charger was hooked to the first battery in the string and the electronics in the charger would not read it properly.Iota and Lifeline hooked it + to the first battery and - to the last battery and no problems since.It was a blame game between the 2 for about 2 years.If it is not clear to Bob I suggest he call Iota the manufacture that made the charger this is not your Dads charger made in the 50s and 60s.Solar chargers will do a number on the first battery in a bank if hooked up to one everyone does it their way  have a great day

I am not doubting you, just trying to understand it. If the straps and connections between the batteries are the right size (I'm using 4/0) then they are essentially 0 ohms. When you were having that problem did you ever measure the voltage at each battery to see if there was a difference?

As a matter of fact, I did wire my batteries as you suggest because it assured the same load in each strap and it happened to be convenient at the time.  I still can't understand how it would affect charging.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

Len,

You ARE correct.  If all the wires are of adequate size they will not drop voltage and if all the connections are good they won't either.  What the others are trying to prove is that you have significant, and "different" voltage drops across a couple feet of WIRE.  You can prove the folly here by looking up the resistance of 0000 cable by the foot and assuming that the connectors are resistance free.  If they carry the chargers 25 amps their will be the same voltage in the entire + or - circuit within a hundredth or thousandth of a volt.  The other assumption is that the internal resistance of all the batteries in the parallel bank is equal and that they "all" charge at not only the same rate but to exactly the same voltage when full.

Gumpy,

I am certain without doubt that you corrected the problem by resolving the symptom.  You are one of the greatest guys for creating your site and sharing your experience and joys with the board.  I have spent many an hour learning from you and to my distinct advantage as I didn't need the harsh teachings of failure and experience to gain the knowledge.  You did resolve your problem but I think you now have a system that isn't working as well as it could.  The up side of that is that you may be missing only a small fraction of a volt or a few amps. without consequence.  What is probable to have been the problem, after you verified that ALL the connections were perfect, is that there was a difference between the battery that boiled and the rest of the bats in the bank.  Maybe the others were from the same mfr run and the "odd" bat took the hit and that position continued to get trashed until you got a bat in that position that  had a match to the others.  For me, the up side here is that you solved the problem.  Lets see now, you had the "elephants" involved....hmmmmm .....They were confused and finger pointing... hummmmm..you finally resolved a problem that was destroying batteries that confused every mothers son involved?....HUMMMM.  How did you do that again?   Thanks Gumpy.  I would have fought your solution cause it flies in the face of what I know about simple "DC Circuit Analysis" and I taught that subject.

John

—Pla
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »

Gumpy,

I am certain without doubt that you corrected the problem by resolving the symptom.  You are one of the greatest guys for creating your site and sharing your experience and joys with the board.  I have spent many an hour learning from you and to my distinct advantage as I didn't need the harsh teachings of failure and experience to gain the knowledge.  You did resolve your problem but I think you now have a system that isn't working as well as it could.  The up side of that is that you may be missing only a small fraction of a volt or a few amps. without consequence.  What is probable to have been the problem, after you verified that ALL the connections were perfect, is that there was a difference between the battery that boiled and the rest of the bats in the bank.  Maybe the others were from the same mfr run and the "odd" bat took the hit and that position continued to get trashed until you got a bat in that position that  had a match to the others.  For me, the up side here is that you solved the problem.  Lets see now, you had the "elephants" involved....hmmmmm .....They were confused and finger pointing... hummmmm..you finally resolved a problem that was destroying batteries that confused every mothers son involved?....HUMMMM.  How did you do that again?   Thanks Gumpy.  I would have fought your solution cause it flies in the face of what I know about simple "DC Circuit Analysis" and I taught that subject.

John

While I appreciate the comments regarding my site, I think you've confused me with Makemineatwostroke in this thread. I wasn't the one who had boiling batteries; I just agreed with Sojourner regarding his schematic.

I also agree with the DC circuit analysis indicating it should work, and in the perfect world, it will. But that's theory, and theory seldom takes into account the minor differences between two physical components.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »

Sojourner is absolutely correct with his circuit and how all banks of parallel batteries should be wired. I take definite exception to anyone who says otherwise.

In practice, yes you can wire them anyway you like.  And yes, for charging it makes zero difference.

But the reality is, when you draw heavy currents from the system such as starting and/or inverters, if you wire it like Sojourner recommends, then each battery will equally share the load, because any resistance in the wiring balances out.
 If you wire it as Len's diagram suggests, there will absolutely be differences in what each battery contributes to the load due to milliohm differences in the wiring, measurable in millivolts if you're lucky, or hundreds of millivolts or more if you're not so lucky, no matter what the wire size. And these differences ARE definitely measurable, easily. Sorry to disagree with you len, but this time I must.  The result of any differences in non-sojourner schemes is that out of the entire bank, one or more batteries will be consistently drawn upon more than the others in the bank, and will fail sooner because the bank, over time, becomes unbalanced.

Again,  just like on another current thread, Sojourner's method will work perfectly; other methods may work but you takes your chances. 

Luckily it takes exactly zero additional wire to do it one way over the other, so why not just do it the right way !!!!

More mud!!!

G
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:21:02 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:06 PM »

I have a MCI 9 the starter batteries are conected to give 24 volts. How do I connect these to the charger?

Thanks

John
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 07:04:28 PM »

JohnEd…I admire you for giving your honest opinions and expert suggestions in electrical wiring – system. You know how to explain to anyone on board much better I can. Thank you. I am trying to learn from you about how to get a point across about whatever I am experience in. My high school English (lady) teacher told in front of class “I should have my head dunk into milk pail” She knew I was a farm boy but she didn’t under stand my binaural hearing loss. Wear one hearing aid but it always confusing to hear them. Later on, my mother found out from another class mate about it…mom went the principal and then the fire fly.
Gumpy…like wise as JohnEd said about your great efforts you put in your website.

Now back to the subject:

I attach a picture of both ways that will complete the batteries circuit connected for the high ampere starter motor and charger.  However, all batteries short cable links are to be design with same wire size & equal length but the cable to the starter can be longer than ground cable or vice-versa.
If for any reason one the cable has a weak joint into terminal end…mean higher resistant but will not affect the bank of batteries for unequal power and its life. It’s just less power to starter or lower charging current to charge.

Cost for cables is the same for either ways of connecting.

1)   Diagonal…..Equal resistant connection is each one of the battery’s polarity a (one) short cable link before remote cable to starter and/or charger. The sum of resistance of cable A link through battery No 1 are equal to the cable B link through battery No 2
2)   Straight….Unequal resistant connection is the furthest battery has two extra cable links before the closest battery to starter and/or charger that has no short cable link. The sum of resistance of battery No1 is less than battery No 2 through cable A and cable B.

BTW….all golf carts and high end coaches are connected for equal resistant load.

The bottom-line that all storage bank batteries with 2 or 10 batteries are to be equally resistant connected in order to maximize power and longest life at a favorable cool temperature range.

Normal life for a 6v or 12v wet cell battery is about 7 years. To get same life of single battery with the bank of batteries….you must follow the equal resistant connection to be like a one big giant battery unit. In other words, it like having a double or more amperages or voltages (if in series) into one larger battery unit.

Did you know that all of the multiple wet cells battery in it-self is internally equal resistant connection design?

I didn’t make this rule but you can do the ohm law numbers that will show you the results. The results are very small numbers but after times after times of starting and charging will add up to determined how much life can you get from the batteries.It’s the law of physics.

Ohm Calculator:
http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

Wire Chart:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

BTW..Welcome any suggestion to improve or better clarify this subject. Thank you.

FWIW

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:27:00 PM by Sojourner » Logged

Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 05:09:25 AM »

I have a MCI 9 the starter batteries are conected to give 24 volts. How do I connect these to the charger?
Thanks John

Disconnect and charge separately with a 12 volt charger or get a 24 volt charger.  I found a 12/24 voolt charger at Sears years ago.  I do not if they still sell that model.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »

Jack,

I would add that he only needs to disconnect on cable to one bat to do the charging.  He can also charge both in parallel by using a single jumper to the isolated bat.  A diagram would be nice.....Sojourner?

John

—Pla
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 02:39:18 PM »

Here a drawing with information about a 12v charger to a bank of 24v batteries without disconnecting cable.

FWIW

Paul

Will it ever be done?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 06:11:11 PM »

Can you charge the batteries like this?

With a 40 amp Vanner battery equalizer on the bus.  Hook up a 12-volt battery charger under 40 amps to the 12 volt / 24 volt battery. Then the equalizer would charge the – GND / 12 volts Battery.

Paul

Paul
http://www.incredibus.com
1988 MCI 102A3 /8V92 /740 /10" Roof Raise
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »

Hi Paul: Good point!
About Equalizer to charge the other battery. You need to call Vanner for proper answer. I didn't think about someone having Equalize in this single 12v charger to one of two 12v battery. Right off hand to be safe is to remove Equalizer's fuses until both is fully charged. I think Vanner will tell you that it is only for equally taking power from both batteries and can only 24v charge as a bank via alternator or 24v charger.

Let us know what the verdict is, if you will.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »

Gerald,

Ref your 3:39 post:  I suggested that the bottom line connecting the + and - of the bats be lifted so that you could charge both at the same time by running jumpers from the charger.  I see no reason why that wouldn't work as it would be a 12 volt bank.  Your config is going to charge them one at a time.  Yours is what I would do if the unit was in use.  If I was leaving it in storage I would break the circuit and let them both be maintained to "trickle charge" level.

John

—Pla
Paul

Will it ever be done?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »

Answer to reply#22 & 23
Talked with Vanner today and the verdict is NO.

But it sounded good to me.

Looking at Vanners dwg. the grounded battery is called  battery "A"  The other is Battery "B".
The next time I will not remember this "A" ? "B" thing.

Having new battery's in our bus and not using the bus I decided to purchase a charger to keep them in A1 condition. Battery Plus recommend this charger.  (Battery Tender Power Tender Plus Waterproof 24V 2.5A Charger - DBT022-0158)  This is a high/low/off charger. We keep it on the bus at all times and has worked very well for over the last three years. Have checked the water in the two 8D regularly and once a year have add less than 1/2 gallon of distilled water to each battery.

Paul

Paul
http://www.incredibus.com
1988 MCI 102A3 /8V92 /740 /10" Roof Raise
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »

Here a drawing with information about a 12v charger to a bank of 24v batteries without disconnecting cable.

FWIW

To bad the chart didn't say more about fooling the charger.  Regulators and regulated chargers don't charge to a voltage they charge to a conductance of 4 mhos (1/4 ohms resistance) in the case of a 12 volt battery. If the top of the battery is dirty and the dirt has some acid in it, there will be an electrical conductance through the dirt/acid and when it reaches 4 mhos the charging will drop off no matter the battery charge. Many batteries have been discarded for not taking a charge or not holding a charge because the top was dirty. The example above explains not taking a charge. The not holding a charge (not self discharge) happens when you charge the battery with an un-regulated charger (most aren't regulated) which will charge right through the 4 mhos. You then put the fully charged battery back into the vehicle where the charging system never quite completely fully charges the battery because of the dirt conductivity and after a while the battery is dead. It just will not hold a charge, no it is just not being recharged. No fault of the battery or the charging system just dirty top. You can check this with a good voltage meter; contact the negative lead to the negative post and drag the positive lead across the top of the battery toward the positive post as you move away from the negative post the meter will start reading voltage which will increase as you get closer to the positive post if you have conductivity across the top of the battery.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 11:40:43 AM »

Lee,

I have certainly heard it said and read that you have to keep the battery clean.  To this date, I thought that was for asthetic or hygene reasons.  Maybe thats silly and maybe not but it is a pretty big chunk of data to miss.  Course, cars don't get filthy like a bus bank might.  Thank you for the information/explaination.

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: