Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can the 102's go?  (Read 2953 times)
Moof

« on: June 17, 2006, 08:53:43 PM »

I have heard rumor that there are some states that do now allow 102" buses.  Does anyone know if this is true?  And if so what states and / or roads.

Thanks
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »

Moof,

No restrictions that I ever herd of.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »

Hey Moof don't worry about it, some states have restrictions on 102" wide big trucks on local routes, but in a private coach they ain't gonna care or pay anyattention to ya! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 09:25:33 PM »

I guess I am more worried about getting on back roads that will not accommadate the 102.  I am looking for a publication that will tell me about this

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »

Danny I've been all over in a 102" charter bus and as of yet have not found any roads that couldn't handle it, but I have found a few that were tight when meeting another vehicle but we just each moooved over a tiny bit and it was all good! LOL! Seriously people charter buses to go to some of the neatest senic places that require a little patients and some skill to get there but I've never found a road that was impossible yet! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:28:06 AM »

From being an ex-cross country furniture mover, I've been on all types of small country roads, whether it be for moving people or just to take the scenic route (I took advantage of driving a moving van) I had a 48x102 trailer with a 235" wheelbase tractor that was 68ft overall.  Never got pulled over and sometimes took up the entire road for a turn (thats why I had a train horn on my truck-and have one on my bus too!).  After driving the big rig, I can say that buses are very maneuverable (especially transits) to the point that it feels like just driving a big van.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:54:59 AM »

Just curious. Did you ever drive any part of US-1 with that big rig?
Richard

From being an ex-cross country furniture mover, I've been on all types of small country roads, whether it be for moving people or just to take the scenic route (I took advantage of driving a moving van) I had a 48x102 trailer with a 235" wheelbase tractor that was 68ft overall.  Never got pulled over and sometimes took up the entire road for a turn (thats why I had a train horn on my truck-and have one on my bus too!).  After driving the big rig, I can say that buses are very maneuverable (especially transits) to the point that it feels like just driving a big van.  Good Luck, TomC

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 02:36:17 PM »

I've heard people complain about getting a 45' 102 through the gates at the Disney campground (narrow gate followed by a right turn) but that was several years age, may have been fixed.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Moof

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »

Thanks for the info. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:54:28 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 07:03:06 PM »

Moof Check this out it may be the info you are lookig for.

http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

HTH, Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 07:21:31 PM »

Richard- yes, one time when I finished unloading in San Luis Obispo, I had an extra day, so I drove up highway one to Monterey-just so I could say I did it.  But it was also during the week in winter so traffic was just about non exsistant.  This was many years ago, but wouldn't dream of doing it now with the CHP being a bit more savvy now.  I've also taken my bus up the same stretch-and this was with the old air assisted manual steering (8 1/2 turns on the steering wheel lock to lock).  So both times, was very busy doing lots of steering.  As compared to last summer going over 299 from Redding to Eureka. Still a Mother of a pass, but much easier with the full power steering (4 1/2 turns lock to lock).  Some of these twisting, up and down passes are neat to take once, but not ever again in a big vehicle.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Moof

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 08:18:51 PM »

Kristinsgrandpa,

That was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »

I agree. Once is enough.

Richard- yes, one time when I finished unloading in San Luis Obispo, I had an extra day, so I drove up highway one to Monterey-just so I could say I did it.  But it was also during the week in winter so traffic was just about non exsistant.  This was many years ago, but wouldn't dream of doing it now with the CHP being a bit more savvy now.  I've also taken my bus up the same stretch-and this was with the old air assisted manual steering (8 1/2 turns on the steering wheel lock to lock).  So both times, was very busy doing lots of steering.  As compared to last summer going over 299 from Redding to Eureka. Still a Mother of a pass, but much easier with the full power steering (4 1/2 turns lock to lock).  Some of these twisting, up and down passes are neat to take once, but not ever again in a big vehicle.  Good Luck, TomC

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 09:03:01 PM »

Oh for heaven's sakes, Richard & TomC. . .

I've been up and down Hiway 1 and over 299 dozens of times in charter buses. . . there's nothing wrong with the roads, the problem's mostly the *&%*# four-wheel drivers.  You just have to pay attention to what you're doing, that's all.

Tuscon --  Take your time and enjoy the ride!!   Grin

HTH. . .

I agree. Once is enough.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 09:05:28 PM »

Of course it can be done. I just did not enjoy spending so much time in the opposite traffic lane. LOL
Richard

Oh for heaven's sakes, Richard & TomC. . .

I've been up and down Hiway 1 and over 299 dozens of times in charter buses. . . there's nothing wrong with the roads, the problem's mostly the *&%*# four-wheel drivers.  You just have to pay attention to what you're doing, that's all.

Tuscon --  Take your time and enjoy the ride!!   Grin

HTH. . .

I agree. Once is enough.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: