Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 05:45:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today news....gas prices going up to near $5 tomorrow  (Read 21376 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 12:54:02 AM »

The issue is that the wholesale price charged for gasoline on the Gulf coast jumped Thursday from $3.23 in the morning to $4.73 at the end of the day.  Wholesale prices in New York increased by a fraction of that.

I remember hurricane Katrina and in Minneapolis, MN unable to get diesel for my TDI Golf due to the panic buying.  The lines were such that I couldn't get to the diesel pump at stations that had the diesel pump on the same island at gas pumps.  I finally went to a station that had diesel off to the side as I was desperately low on fuel unlike most of the panic buyers.  I also remember gasoline going to $3.29 after Katrina and remembering how extremely high that price was at the time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 01:15:37 AM »

Deleted.  I was looking at diesel prices, not gas prices.  Gas prices have barely gone up locally.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:32:50 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 01:37:15 PM »

I need an OBJECTIVE (such that the application of the definition is not subject to opinion) definition of two terms (in a product price context) before I blow a gasket:

"greed"

"gouging"

Thanks,

Kevin
cody

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 03:44:23 PM »

I'm just not sure either is possible, the objective definition is going to be bad for either terms. It's just plain sad that the gas that is sitting in a fuel tank in the morning is valued at a given price point and suddenly because if becomes something that is needed so that people can flee a terrible storm or possibly just to survive it, suddenly it becomes worth over a dollar a gallon more and all within the same day, I know all about 'supply and demand' and now we're learning about plain old greed.  Instead of helping our neighbors the stations are fleesing them.  Years ago, up here, a terrible forest fire swept thru the area, a region close to here was devestated, most homes were lost and a lot of lives destroyed, here, stores opened their doors and put together boxes of groceries for the people that had lost everything at no cost, motels opened their doors and gave these people free rooms, furniture was rounded up and clothing, nobody expected it, it was just the right thing to do and it was done without hesitation or any thoughts of reward, it was just done because it needed to be done.  One thing tho, there will be many untold stories of neighbors helping neighbors after Ike roars thru, the basic principle of the good in people coming thru will be seen, unfortunately, it just won't be made public cause it isn't newsworthy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 03:47:04 PM by cody » Logged
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »

So... Knowing there may be a shortage and you might not be able to get fuel next week, what is to prevent you from going down and sucking up all of that fuel at the low price?  And too bad for the guy who gets there an hour later and there is no fuel left...sucks to be him.
cody

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand business and the principles of milking every penny out of people that are already hard hit just so a person can make a profit off a bad situation, yep, sucks to be the person pulling up to the pump.
luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 04:07:44 PM »

gas prices are pretty stable in the Houston area I spoke with my daughters today in Houston and Baytown and they said gas prices ranges froms  $3.29 to $3.60 a gal in their area but said somebody will try and gouge the public
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 05:00:42 PM »

Like the old tales…wherever we live and need transportation to get to & fro, we choose where to live and freedom to go anywhere via vehicle you chosen whether it’s low or high mpg to transport one or more people at the same time. In other words, we gamble with our living area where all type of danger can happen and we depend on our fuel companies to supply our needs at a price that keep them busy.

During hurricane event, our fuel companies has to control the supply and pay the cost of down times, reserve fuel for the families emergency needs, repair the rigs (driller) & platforms (pumping) and pay their workers wage during emergency down time.

BTW, they can ship crude oil else wherever other counties willing to pay more then we do. We are about half of China is paying now.

So in the mean time we need to keep praying that this storm will be minimizing to get it back in working order fastest.

Oh I forgot something…who pay for damage filling station?

Hurricane Ike Threatens Facilities in the Central GOM Sept 10, 2008
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=66473

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »

West Columbia  $5.499
http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=66097&catid=2&GID=1oi9wbxludcZzyF+LhnLR3hPGH0TaQW9N7Q9l2dVCgY%3D

After open this link…zoom out until you see all the red spots USA of $4 or more :
http://www.southcarolinagasprices.com/map_gas_prices.aspx?z=11&lat=33.247984&long=-81.347065&sid=12576&ft=A

Tomorrow reopen the above link for the latest.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
cody

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »

I fully understand whats happening, I just don't agree with it, I'll fall back on the simple principles of right and wrong, in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, it's right to charge a fair price that will ensure enough of a profit to keep in business, what, to me, is wrong is the guys that were charging 25 dollars a bag for a small bag of ice after Katrina just because they could get it and people were desperate to keep the 15 dollar loaf of bread they had just bought from spoiling in the 10 dollar cooler that they just paid 100 dollars for, it's sad when people don't have a problem with all that and in fact seem to be able to justify it.
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »

Right on cody, glad somebody feels this way, i sure do, they always have aexcuse. we are now sitting waiting for a hurricane to pass, gas and deisel prices seem to be ok here in Texas, but i feel that 3.99 a gal is too much money for a low caliber fuel. ill close before i get slammed with a bunch of people that dont agree. its a sorry state of affairs when this kind of thig goes on
Frank Allen 4106
luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 08:44:30 PM »

Guys back in the 70's when the embargo hit the state of Texas had laws to keep that from happening on gas they posted a price that the stations could not charge anymore than what was posted by the State. I spoke with one of my daughters about hour ago in Houston and she said prices at the place where she buys gas it's still the same price
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:56:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 08:48:14 PM »

Cody, I recall on a post about fuel prices a while back I was basically told something along the lines of "It's business and has nothing to do with right or wrong.  I said then, and I will say again, it IS about right and wrong!

The Attorney General in NC said today he wants the name and location of price gougers, and he will make them pay!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 08:52:07 PM »

My definition is that greed is a excessive desire to posses more than one deserves, has actually earned or needs.  I think greed is a general attitude.  Price gouging is setting a price so high as to swindle or extort excessive profit from the buyer.

I think that the thing that bothers people the most is that none of their oil pumped in the US of A comes from private land.  It all comes from public lands leased to oil companies and part of the agreement is that the oil companies are to act in the public good.  What I see is that the people that are in the most desperate need are gouged the most while people with a casual need and have no desperate buy motive are given a price break perhaps to encourage their consumption.

The system seems out of whack.  Especially when it is our heritage to be generous and charitable to those in need.  Nice to see others sharing feelings that parallel mine.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
cody

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

I'm so glad that other people feel the same way, I was afraid I was the odd one out for a while, well, odd anyway, actually borderline strange lol. Oh ok, I'm oddly strange according to what was just yelled at me lol.  Diesel here right now is 3.82 and gas is 3.82, now that is strange lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: