Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prevost chassis  (Read 5086 times)
cody

« on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »

I have the compelling urge to ask yet another dumb question, I read on another forum a Vogue owner said that their coach is a true bus because their chassis is made by prevost, I thought that was interesting, can anyone give me any information on this? I didn't know that prevost made and sold chassis to other companies.
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »

Cody, the guy is try to pull somebody's leg Vogue made their own chassis for years in Pryor OK for the pushers but Mitchel did convert a lot of Prevost buses (I had one)before he sold to Featherlite.  I think the gas rig chassis were made by Spartan but not for sure    good luck
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:10:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 08:11:18 PM »

I have no idea on the validity of Prevost making Vogue chassis but I have never seen anything about it elsewhere.

With that said just because a bus manufacture builds a chassis means nothing as to if it is a real bus or not.

most subcontracted products are built to the buyers specs not the manufacturers.

Even looking at some of the ads in FMCA which show bus like structure, if compared to real coaches they have about 1/2 the structure
cody

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »

I know, anyone can call what they want a bus, even allegro has one they call a bus.  I was just reading and ran accross it and thought I'd ask the real experts.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 08:17:05 PM »

From the Prevost website it appears that the closest they come to that is conversion shells.  Then looking at this dealer's use of the term chassis lends to the idea that some converters/dealers/customers may use the term chassis rather loosely to refer to a conversion shell.
luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »

Cody, the only bus manufacture I know that sells the chassis only is Scania but never saw one used in a motor home.fwiw the chassis Vogue built was a ok it had steerable tags, abs disks brakes and anything that the Prevost had it was built just like a Newell which was made not far from Pryor in Miami Ok   good luck
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

Hmmm, sounds fishy to me! But I lean toward NOT! After all as I said before "If yer cat had kittens in an old oven on the back porch, ya wouldn't call 'm biscuits would ya?"   Huh  BK   Huh

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »

Hmmm, sounds fishy to me! But I lean toward NOT! After all as I said before "If yer cat had kittens in an old oven on the back porch, ya wouldn't call 'm biscuits would ya?"   Huh  BK   Huh

Yeah, but you could call 'em biscuit heads!  Grin

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 12:21:13 AM »

Funny, Funny, Funny, Funny, Funny, LOL

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »

Cody, the only bus manufacture I know that sells the chassis only is Scania but never saw one used in a motor home.fwiw the chassis Vogue built was a ok it had steerable tags, abs disks brakes and anything that the Prevost had it was built just like a Newell which was made not far from Pryor in Miami Ok   good luck

I think most, if not all, the European manufacturers will sell chassis-only - in fact the chassis was usually the only bit they made as the bus & coach building industry here has traditionally been based upon seperate body and chassis builders. Hence I have a Bedford Plaxton, but it could equally well have been a Volvo Plaxton, DAF Plaxton, MAN Plaxton etc. Nowadays it is probably not quite such a free-for-all as chassis manufacturers will often have tied relationships with one main bodybuilder, and many buses have a monocoque structure anyway so there is no seperate chassis.

Volvo chassis are used under a very large number of buses and coaches here - so much so that the chassis designations (B10M, B12M etc) are very well known and included in the badging on the bus. However, (apart from their Prevost division obviously) I have never heard of even a Volvo chassis being used under a motorhome, simply because to all intents and purposes there is no A Class motorhome industry in Europe.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 05:41:25 AM »

Vogue did do bus conversions in the 90's before joining Featherlite.  Here's one:  http://www.eaglespridervsales.com/eaglespride9_037.htm

The Vogue Prima Vista that I own was made. by Crown.  This is one coach that is not a S&S.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 06:12:03 AM »

Len, you have a Vogue that was built before  Mitchell bought the co and probably built in CA solid as a rock (he did finish a few that were in the plant) ,the Vogue V  he built from the ground up was a good coach but could not compete with Newell and  Foretravel for what ever reasons.The Mitchell family still converts Prevost under the Parliament name in Fl  

Jeremy , the only bus chaissis I have seen in the USA have been Scania going to a place to build some kind of command center on but there are probably more
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:09:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »

Featherlite/ Vantare bought Vogue and did warranty work on the last ones. The contents of the Vogue factories was shipped to the Florida facility as was the name.
The coaches built during the transition were named Vogue but were actually built with Prevost Shells, On the same line as Vantare coaches side by side.
The Vogue name was discontinued later. The balance of parts left over for the Vogue line were disposed of after years in storage.

Vantare is the sole survivor of the residuals of the Vogue line.
I would guess that even now if you wanted a New Vogue it would be a rebadged Featherlite/Vantare built on a Prevost Conversion Shell.

I may be corrected about the details, However I had and inside man at Featherlite who told me how that all went. He passed away a couple of years ago. On several trips to the sanford facility I saw both versions of the Vogue line several years ago myself including the Vogue 5000 series.

Dave...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 11:54:16 AM »

Dr-Dave there is still a Featherlite repair facility in Pryor and they stock parts for the Vogue there also.I stop and visit when I go through always Vogues in the park and used ones for sale.I picked up a door window for 1 last year at Pryor for a guy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:27:52 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »

And Harvey Mitchell who once owned Vogue now owns Parliament Coach in Clearwater, Florida.  It looks like the million dollar coaches are still doing well in this economy.

Hand Made Gifts

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 05:21:38 PM »

high end boats and aircraft are selling too.

people that have lots of $$$$ do not really care about small fluxes in the economy or fuel prices
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »

Vogue definitely made their own chassis or at least they took air ride chassis from some other source and built their motorhome on it. I've toured the Pryor, OK facility back when they were still in business. Towards the end, they bought Prevost shells and put Vogue conversions in them. Both were built for a period of time in the Pryor, OK facility.

The Vogues definitely are not busses. With the exception of the ones that were in Prevost shells. Not taking anything away from the Vouge coaches; they were very nice but they were not busses. After they started buying Prevost and converting them, Vantare came in to the mix and then Featherlite bought Vogue.

Featherlite leased the Vogue facility in Pryor, and now that Featherlit has moved on, I"m not sure who is on the hook financially for that facilty. My uncle manages the industrial park that the plant is located in, so I could get the latest facts from him.
Fred

Fred Thomson
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »

Len,

You beat me to it.  I have been seeing that Vogue on the Prevost shell for about six months.  That bus has some of the prettiest wood in it that i have ever laid eyes on.  I think it is from Hawaii.  Drool pretty.

I did read awhile ago that the vogue was built on one of those supreme Crown chassis with all the bells and whistles for stout and function.  Crown would definitely not be an insult in any way for what little I know.  Your engine isn't in the middle now is it? Wink

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »

No, the engine is not in the middle!

Actually, I have no proof that my chassis was built by Crown, only what I have heard on Vogue web sites.  There is nothing in the docs or labels on the coach.  I can tell you that is one very substantial air ride chassis.  I have looked under more than a few motor homes and this thing is massive.

Hand Made Gifts

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: