Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 06:51:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: could this really be?  (Read 2817 times)
Blacksheep

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

Aww gee fella's, I made a mistake!!!
When I posted I stated 60 gals., but as I was reading your postings to Susan, she corrected me. She's the one that keeps the books/records. She said it was actually 59 gals..
Now doing the math and reading what you all had to say, I feel like it went the wrong way. I was actually hoping to be closer to what you all said it should be. All I know is the roads are really flat and boþh tiomes there was little to no wind but I did forget to mention I was pulling a very small trailer with a golf cart!
I can't explain it so as long as the bus is running as good as it is, I really could care less if its 5mpg or 10mpg. If I couldn't afford it and had to worry about it I would have never got involved in this hobby! 1, 2, or 3 mpg is not going to make me or break me!
Ace
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »

It really could be!!!!  I was getting the  same milage Ace. What I found was the return fuel line to the tank was partially blocked. It would only leak under high pressure or at highway speeds. There was a loose couplng that fuel could be forced through. Darnest thing it sprayed it on the highway at highway speeds and did not leak at low speed so I never saw the leak!!
 Better look for something like that, I dont know how you can afford to drive a bus with that kind of milage!!  HTH Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »

did i misread something or was jjr just pulling bs's leg.  i'd be ecstatic with 9.35.  freeway home from valdosta to cinci, used 96 gal and got 7.1.  i thought that was great for 8v92 pulling an express van full of stuff.

Ace, you've had way too much posting lately.  is Susan still with you?  you're spending a lot of time on pushing the wrong buttons on this bullitin board.  Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 06:41:10 PM by manasst » Logged

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

Example if in the ground tank of diesel fuel is 40°F cooler than above ground tank (100°F)

. The thermal expansion coefficient of Diesel is 0.00046/* F. Assuming constant atmospheric conditions.

So .00046 X 40°F = .0184 gal X 200 gallon = 3.68 gallons gains using cooler fuel.

So which will give more for your money?  Cold fuel. In other words, for every 54.35 gallon of colder (40°F) fuel, you gain one gallon

Or, in Ace case. If you pump in 54.4 gal @100°F fuel in tank and after shut down to soak up the cool over night temperature of 60°F, you lose 1 gallon in the morning.

It about expansion and contraction in large quantity.

The bottom-line…never buy very warm or hot fuel before the next morning. But fill up in the morning or go some where they have cool fuel.

For every gallon you gain, multiply that times mpg = XX number of more mile for the money.

Some pump has build in temperature compensator, so it won’t matter what fuel temperature for the dollar.

FWIW
Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »

My understanding is that almost no gas pump in the USA has temperature compensation.  I also understand temperature compensation is somewhat common in Canada due to the colder weather.

It has been explained that temperature compensation in the USA would make very little difference in fuel quantity delivered.  The tanks are underground and the ground stays at a relatively constant temperature year round.  This is how geothermal heating/cooling works. 

Some stations have been accused of heating fuel to cheat customers, but others have explained that the amount of energy required would negate any extra revenue.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 05:49:57 AM »

I don't know if it makes much difference, but I have seen several tankers sitting in the sun at Flying J dumping into the underground tanks as we were filling our coach, along with several truckers.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:15:53 AM »

Thank Jack...You said it better and added thought to our bus nuts to be aware that you can save few dollars.

Keep IR gun near by in a handy place...you be amazes what we miss for the pass knowledge you have had.

Have fun with IR gun!

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald
BTW...IR gun check tanker temp...next time you are there. If they ask...tell them "I am learning about temperature"

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »

More than likely just a one time deal I have had those spikes in mileage over the years but I would not plan a trip with a 8V92  based on 9 miles per gal when you get a 2 mile per gallon spike it will be different the next tank is for me anyway brings me back down to reality .        good luck
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:19:10 AM by luvrbus » Logged
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 10:18:10 AM »

You should track your mileage as an ongoing process.

I would expect your next fill-up will be disappointing relative to this fill.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Blacksheep

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »

I guess I could hook up my prolink and see what it says! Would you think that it is accurate?
Ace
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »

Canada has had laws requiring temperature compensation for the fuel pumps for many years.

The American consumer is being ripped off, cents at a time, or in a busnut's case, dollars at a time.

I continue to be surprised that this theft goes uncontested.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »

It's a conspiracy!

& since they are shafting us at each fillup, heck, we're all getting better mileage than we thought!

Grin  Grin  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: