Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 09:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water heater size  (Read 3747 times)
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2008, 07:23:07 AM »

Hi,

We have a 20 gal. electric water heater in our 4104. I don't think we need to carry so much water that we really can't use so I would like to replace it with something smaller or even a tankless heater. What size water heaters are you using in your bus? Any tankless heaters?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:33:16 AM »

Bob,

I don't have a hot water tank at all.

I use a flat plate heat exchanger hooked to the Proheat and you have all the hot water you can stand in less than 2 minutes. Grin

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 07:44:15 AM »

I've got a standard RV type LP/Electric 6 gallon heater, works for me.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »

6 gallon with an engine coolant heat exchanger.  free hot water every time you drive
Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »

2.5 ga under counter wet bar type found at lowes. Going on 6 years now and never let us down. Its quicker to heat a little water than it is if you have 20 gal and use part, then you cool your hot water with what you replace. My thoughts anyway!
Ace
cody

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:17:37 AM »

Ace, I'm interested in the recovery rate for the unit you have, is it fast enough for showers or just for kitchen use, we've also got a 20 gallon electric home style heater.
John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »

Atwood 6 gallon. Propane, electric, or engine heat.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »

Cody we use it for everything showers too. When I'm done and dried off, its hot for Susan. Its 110 electric!
Ace
luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »

Cody, in AZ and FL you don't need much hot water the water about warm enough to start with don't think a 2.5 will work for in the northeast unless you want a cold shower.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100011293&N=10000003+90401+502972

Has anyone seen or used one of these?  It is only 4 gallons but that may be enough depending on your personal usage.  It would definitely promote faster showers.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

We had a Poloma instant hot water heater in the last bus.  I liked it a lot.  We have a 10 gallon electric one now.  It's okay, but if I ever have to due something with it, we will go tankless.  Of course, you could say that this gives me 10% more fresh water capacity.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Blacksheep

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Luvrbus we promote cold showers down here! Trying to cut back on the population if you know what I mean!
Like I said, the small water heater does fine for the two of us. Its good for dish washing too. We have a W/D but not hooked up yet so not sure about that but one thing it DOES do and that is recoup very fast!
Ace
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

I have my 130gal water tank and 2-10 gal electric water heaters from Home Depot under my bed.  One water heater feeds into the next with the final water heater wired through the inverter so I have hot water all day long while driving.  I keep the temp down on the water heaters to prevent build up hence NO maintenance in the 13 years I've been using them. They take about 45 minutes to heat from cold.  It is the simplest water heating method- no propane, no coolant hoses going to it, no Diesel fuel fired heaters, no circulation pumps, just silent hot water.  I like it so much, I'm going to use this system again with my next conversion.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

We have one 10 gallon electric water heater from Home Depot.  We reset the thermostat to the hottest setting. Turn it on for 45 minutes and we have 10 gallon of 150 degree water. Doesn't take much of this added to cold water for a shower. We usually turn water heater on while preparing supper. Plenty of hot water to wash dishers, 2 showers and still have hot water left next morning.
   If you can reset the thermostat on the 4 gallon iniot it may work becaue you would use less of the hot and more cold to acheive the same water temperature.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

Ednj

How many plates and size of you heat exchanger? I have 12 gal 110 with heat exchanger but it is kind of big and would like info on your plate exchanger.
Thanks John
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:23:05 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:26:51 PM »

Hi Bob,

I have both electric and flat plate for domestic.

I have a 12 gal 115v electric H2O heater that I have set to reach 145 deg's, I then have a domestic mixing valve to mix it back down to 115 deg's.

To my calculations, it's like having a 17gal heater. Two showers back to back and still hot.

When I'm not on free electric, I use my Proheat to heat the flat plate and like Ed Skiba's 2 min's and HOT!..

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:34:20 PM »

My 12 gal Seward 110v with a heat exchanger has worked good for me I use the engine , the heating system or the 110v
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 06:49:17 PM »

I use the same heater as Ace ,It is truly ,amazing,and inexpensive(as it is a 110 unit) It is simple to hook up ,and require minimal space. One thing about is,if it does not suffice,you can in most cases add another.
Bill

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »

Ednj

How many plates and size of you heat exchanger? I have 12 gal 110 with heat exchanger but it is kind of big and would like info on your plate exchanger.
Thanks John

These are very similar to the one I have http://stores.ebay.com/Dudanations-Biodiesel-Supplies .
10 plate takes up "NO room"at all, No tank,No bay space, no electric, no propane, no inverter. If you have 100 gallon fresh water tank thats how much HOT water you can have, No waiting for recovery.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:22:45 PM by Ednj » Logged

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

Thanks Ednj

I have looked at these for my 2010 to heat my engine. I guess I didn't think about my hot water. I'm glad you posted your results. One question; do you recycle the water back to fresh tank till you get hot water flowing?

John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »

after living in my motorcoach full time for 10 years and going through 4 propane 6 gal heaters then living in my second coach for 5 years with a 10 gal heater I now have my final coach with a washer/dryer with a 30 gal 220 water heater lowboy. Screw those quick showers and laundromats.....I'll haul the extra weight for the convenience of having long showers...
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 06:14:23 AM »

Thanks Ednj

I have looked at these for my 2010 to heat my engine. I guess I didn't think about my hot water. I'm glad you posted your results. One question; do you recycle the water back to fresh tank till you get hot water flowing?

John

John

In my case if the pro heat is hot the water is hot...

If itís hooked up to a fresh water supply you will run out of diesel before you run out of hot water.
If you did recalculate the water back to your tank that whole tank could be hot water.

You can also heat the proheat with your engine loop even by using the block heater and circ pump if you must use 110.

Ed

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »

Can anyone explain in plain english how exactly a Proheat can heat domestic water through a plate exchanger?  Is there a tank of water kept hot like a regular water heater?

If it is summer and the Proheat is not needed for heating, how does the Proheat know it needs to turn on when hot water is required?  Does the Proheat need to be left turned on?  Will the domestic hot water get too hot since the coolant from the Proheat is something like 170 degrees?

I have a Proheat to install and would love to remove the electric water heater partially blocking a bay if possible.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »

Hi Brian,

Your proheat can heat many things including your hot water by useing a flat plate exchanger, a zone valve,

and a tempering "domestic mixing valve'. You could store hot water in a tank also but, you would have to insulate

it well. Nothing more then a 10 gal tank is needed because your Proheat will recover quicker then you will use the water.

A domestic mixing valve is needed so you don't scold your family. The Proheat can get as hot as 180 deg. so you need to mix it

back down to 115 deg. with cold water.

Here is a pic of my flat plate
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »

Thanks for all the input, I really wanted to go with a tankless but I do not feel I can do a proper installation with the space I have to work with. I will most likley go with another electric heater, 10 to 12 gal.

1956 GMC PD4104
Blacksheep

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »

Bob if you have room for a 10-12 gal water heater then you already have twice the space you need for a heater like I used! Its about 18 inches wide and maybe 12 inches deep and about 14 inches tall. It's designed to go under a wet bar in the house. Don't let the small size fool you. Seriously, it has serviced our needs 100%. Just the other day, I had to plug it up, (I don't always keep it plugged in) and before I walked back into the bus, Susan said it was already getting warm! Maybe it wasn't fully hot but it didn't take long after that, that it was!
I got mine at Lowes as it was recommended to me by yet another bus nut who has had great service from theirs! It's blue in color and I can't remember the name right off but can look up the paperwork if your interested!

Ace
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »

Ednj
Thanks for reply I am now clear on your first post I thought it took two minutes for hot water. 

John

John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 06:22:33 AM »

Ace,

I like the idea of a small heater but fear there would not be enought hot water for two showers. I have no problem with a Navy shower but my wife likes a fairly long shower. We have a 2.8gpm pump and I think the shower head is 2.5gpm. Do you feel the small heater would work for us? I could stack two and double the capacity.

Bob

1956 GMC PD4104
Blacksheep

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »

Absolutely!

Ace
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 07:09:05 AM »

Bob; I would go with the 4 gal under sink model I have 2.5 in my cook area at home it does recover fast but i don't know if it would keep up for a shower because it doesn't when everyone is washing dishes.It is a model w 152 In Sink Erator and I ordered the 4 gal W 154 like all things in a coach decide on how it is going to be used if your on shore all the time it would work ? but for camping you will be running the generator a lot because they are a high wattage use unit and the recovery rate is 6.8 per hr  have a great day
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:08:07 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »

I went with a 20 gallon domestic and if that didn't keep up I was prepared to put in another but two years in and even with the long shower that is necessary after a massive food fight we have not run out of water.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: