Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VanHool Update: Stuck in Baltimore on the side of I-95 !!!!  (Read 2184 times)
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2006, 07:25:59 AM »

Thanks to everyone who responded about the bus shutting down last night. 

We let it cool overnight and set off this morning.  It was running fine for about 60 miles, and then started losing power.

It was a gradual issue over about 20 miles, where going up the hills we just couldn't maintain our speed.

It got so bad that we pulled over (going 11 MPH up a hill on I-95 is never a good thing) in Baltimore.

Any help would be appreciated!  Can you please let me know if:

a) You have any ideas what's wrong

b) You know any bus mechanics in the Baltimore, MD area

c) You might have a place in Baltimore I could "limp" the bus over to

My name is Daniel and my phone number is 202.250.3846.  I'll check this board in about an hour, but you can also call me at 202.250.3846.

PS My only thought is that the fuel filter is clogged... hence the gradual loss of power.  The bus HAS been sitting for about 3 years with minimal movement, but I believe I changed the oil filter back when I got the bus.  So the oil filter would be 3 years old, but it would have minimal miles on it (i.e., under 300 miles). 

Thanks for any & all help.  Being stranded on the side of the road sucks!

DROdio

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:55:40 AM »

Hmmm,
Sunday in Baltimore,
Check the Truckstop at Jessup, Md.
It sounds as if your problem is those nasty little diesel critters plugging up the fuel filter, (3 years of sitting will do that).
When it sits for a bit, the pressure is off and allows the filter to pass more fuel.
If I were you, I'd get about 3 fuel filters just so you can be sure of making it home. You may need them.
Do NOT put any more fuel in the tank than you absolutely have to. Your going to end up draining the tank and cleaning it out, so you don't want too much in there when you get home.
When you get home, empty the tank, drop it and clean the sucker out.
Also clean out the fuel lines as you'll find a lot of slime in them too.
Next change the fuel filter again. Add Clean fuel and some antimicrobial additive to inhibit bacterial growth.

Another thought is that you may have a fuel line collapsing as it heats up. make sure you have good fuel lines all the way through. One way to check is to drain out your fuel filter and see if there is some slimy stuff that comes out with the diesel, if not, check for a collapsing line.

IHTH
Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 08:17:10 AM »

The fuel filter not the oil filter!
Richard

The bus HAS been sitting for about 3 years with minimal movement, but I believe I changed the oil filter back when I got the bus.  So the oil filter would be 3 years old, but it would have minimal miles on it (i.e., under 300 miles). 

Thanks for any & all help.  Being stranded on the side of the road sucks!

DROdio

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 09:50:42 AM »

I tried to get a hold of the guy I know up there in the MD/DC area and the # I have is no longer any good! I thought of someone else, but he ain't cheap! He know's buses though and has a mobile business I don't have his # of the top of my head but he should be listed as the "Bus Doctor" and has a box truck set up to do just about anything and works the VA, MD, DC area I think he's out of Arlington. I remember having him come out to Arlington Cemetary and replace a bad starter for me once! Good luck, best wishes, and if ya need any help we can give over the phone be sure to call again! As Dallas suggested if you can make it to the T A Truckstop that'd be yer best bet or if you can get the filters and a gallon jug of fuel it's not hard to change the filters yerself! BK Cool Grin Roll Eyes

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NCbob

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:40:22 AM »

Dallas, Mike and I were talking about this a while ago.  Wouldn't this be a great time for someone who has some instant answers (or a group discussion) to head for the chat room and try and help this guy?

Just a thought......

NCbob
DROdio
WonderlandBus

1989 VanHool T-815 - "WonderlandBus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »

OK made it home!

Yes sorry DrivingMissLazy, I meant fuel filter when i wrote oil filter above.

The good folks @ Gunther (in Baltimore) sent one of their mechanics (on Father's day no less) and he replaced the fuel filter.  It drove beautifully after the change.

I'm sure i still have tons of gunk in my tank; gonna have to get those cleaned out.

Thanks for everyone's help & thoughts, MUCH appreciated.

"WonderlandBus"
1989 VanHool T-815

Daniel@WonderlandBus.com
www.WonderlandBus.com
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »

Great, glad you found the problem and made it home. Sorry if I underestimated your experience, but I truly have met a few nuts that were not really aware of the difference. Glad you are not one of those!
Richard

OK made it home!

Yes sorry DrivingMissLazy, I meant fuel filter when i wrote oil filter above.

The good folks @ Gunther (in Baltimore) sent one of their mechanics (on Father's day no less) and he replaced the fuel filter.  It drove beautifully after the change.

I'm sure i still have tons of gunk in my tank; gonna have to get those cleaned out.

Thanks for everyone's help & thoughts, MUCH appreciated.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »

Well, Daniel had his first down and out on the side of the road! and thanks to all the replys, his problem must seem less than tragic

knowing there are a group of people to call upon !

Great Job Guy's!!!

and thank You!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
86neoplan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 03:48:05 PM »

listening to this tells me that i shall carry a fuel filter with me in case...

shawn

Proud single custodial dad to a wonderful 14 year old son, Owner of a 1986 Neoplan 26' transit Bus AN408, Great weekender...Lots of work to come on this bus, can't wait to get her done! 8.2L with a Allison AT545...
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 04:04:22 PM »

listening to this tells me that i shall carry a fuel filter with me in case...
shawn

I keep 2 spare sets in both of our buses, and highly reccommend everyone else does too! Never know when bad fuel or the crud is gonna get ya! It's like hav'n an extra insurance policy against calling road service out!  Grin Cool Roll Eyes

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 08:22:34 AM »

I also keep 2 sets of fuel filters and a set for the gen-set. I also pack oil filters
Ron
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »

Just an FYI about a similar experience I had.  I have a air throttle.  After the engine compartment would heat up, the Fast Idle Control Valve would start leaking.  Loss of power and no throttle response.  I also changed filters, but that was not the problem.   Months later the problem returned, but this time I discovered the air line that crosses over the engine block for the air throttle was clogged up with crap.  Cleaned it out and wow, I have better throttle response than ever.

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 01:21:45 PM »

I carry,,,

2 fuel filters, a roll of bailing wire, a pack of bubble gum, J-B weld(industrial strength bubble gum), various sizes of hose clamps and pipe fittings, duct tape, black elec tape, garlock gasket material, Permatex, several spare light bulbs (various) a good assortment of fuses/wire/connectors, a "scrounge drawer" of miscellaneous nuts/bolts/screws, Coach & engine manuals, a multimeter, 5 gallons of CF-2 oil, 5 gallons of anti-freeze, a good toolbox, my Sammy card, and most importantly, phone numbers of a couple of great busnuts.

And still, I have no doubt, my day shall come.  The one thing I don't have will be the one thing I need.

Casper

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
Casper4104

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »

Oh yeah,  plus a charged cordless drill with a mess of bits/driver tips - and a tap&die set,,, and,,,

Glad you made it home DROdio.

If a half a hen lays a half an egg in a half a day - how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: