Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 05:53:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MY BUS STOPPED RUNNING! any suggestions  (Read 9169 times)
chriss

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »

I took my bus out this weekend for a nice cruise to Ohio, and on my way back I stopped at a gas station, filled up, and then started to drive away. I got a few feet from the pumps and my engine quit running. I could not get it started again. I know I didn't run it out of diesel. I was only about 20 miles away from home, Soo Close! which I then incurred a hefty towing bill. I have a GMC 4905 with a Detroit 8v71. any suggestions, or things I could test would be very appreciated! I also tried to start it this morning and I ran for a few seconds, and then died again.

thanks,

Chris
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »

If you fueled up with the engine running   I would say you sucked trash into the lines.
Change both filters,fill them up with diesel.  may have to take the line loose infront of the check valve and blow it out.

Don't ask me how i know all this.

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
chriss

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

Ned,

thanks for the info. I didn't know you could do that by filling up with the engine running. I've done that many times.
Is the check valve up front near the tank or back by the filters?

Chris
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »

Smell of the diesel. If it smell like gasoline , it is. We have this problem often in the Tractor repair business. Also, look at your reciept. Does it list diesel or unleaded. Sometimes the pumps do not switch. If it's gas, drain and refill everything.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
cody

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »

Thats interesting, I sent my son in law to a staion with a gas can for some diesel, he came back with gas in it and insisted it came from the diesel nozzle, is it possible it didn't switch? I just blamed it on a bone headed kid, maybe it wasn't his fault, I don't know.
chriss

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »

I will definately check that! The pump was only a diesel pump. It didn't have any other fuel selections, but there is a chance. You never know. I Hope not!

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »

Cody, I do not know if he is a bonehead or not. If he is , he will grow out of it . I have seen several times the pumps that dispense gas and diesel not switch. I have also seen gasoline unloaded into diesel tanks, but usually the driver will catch pretty quick.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »

That's one reason I despise those combo pumps and avoid them if I can.  Just one more thing that can go wrong.  And Murphy (Murphy's Law) is all too familiar to busnuts.

(Side note:  Imagine another scenario that can happen with the combo pumps.  Somebody buys diesel from the pump.  The next person to use it is somebody filling a 1 gallon gas can for their lawn mower or for their out-of-gas car.  That hose holds 1/2 gallon of fuel.  So they get 50/50 gasoline and diesel.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:18:19 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »

We always fill our bus at the truck pumps. No gasoline pumps here, all diesel.  Also, they are the larger diameter nozzles, so we can pump 125 gallon much quicker. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »

My education continues, I didn't know that, I'll watch and check from now on, (my son in law is a bone head, that I do know lol, like you say, maybe he'll grow out of it) lol. The pumps I normally use up here are the truck island pumps and there arn't any gas pumps close to them but from time to time I use pumps that have 2 or 3 gas nozzles and a diesel nozzle on the same island. I'll be carefull with these.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »

I took my bus out this weekend for a nice cruise to Ohio, and on my way back I stopped at a gas station, filled up, and then started to drive away. I got a few feet from the pumps and my engine quit running. I could not get it started again. I know I didn't run it out of diesel. I was only about 20 miles away from home, Soo Close! which I then incurred a hefty towing bill. I have a GMC 4905 with a Detroit 8v71. any suggestions, or things I could test would be very appreciated! I also tried to start it this morning and I ran for a few seconds, and then died again.

thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Smell the fuel tank. Does it smell like diesel or gas? If diesel,

Your filters could be clogged or you developed a leak and sucked in air. When was the last time you replaced the filters?

Try what Uncle Ned told you and let us know
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
chriss

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »

Hello Nick!
I just replaced the fuel filters 2 weeks ago. I'll try taking one off and smell the fuel to see if it smells like gas.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »

Where are these combo pumps? I've driven from AR to the west coast four or five times, to the Gulf Coast numerous times and to the east coast just last June, and on none of these trips have I ever seen a nozzle that dispensed both diesel and gas?? Most stations I've used even have the dieselpump sitting away from the other pumps.

The only time I almost goofed was one station that had a green nozzle that dispensed gas, only time I ever saw green for gas. I now remember the brand, BP, but I did pump a gallon or two of gas before I caught it. Even that one was not a combo setup, the diesel nozzle was black??
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:20:16 PM by gus » Logged

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 03:40:03 PM »

Where are these combo pumps?

Here in the Chattanooga area, it seems like mainly it's the newly built or major remodeled conveneince stores.  I've seen them at BP/Amoco, Midnight Oil and Exxon lately.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »

Chriss, observe the filter when you remove it, is it full? Is there some black sstuff in it?  How much was the tow by the way?.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: