Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 05:24:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MY BUS STOPPED RUNNING! any suggestions  (Read 9648 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 03:45:09 PM »

Somebody is confused. Or Just GOOFY !!

Industry standard is GREEN for diesel.

NO Mixing in hoses or lines of gasoline products and diesel for any reason.

I have never heard of a pump that switched from gas to diesel using the same hose and nozzle. Just doesn't happen. The EPA would be there in a flash and you know what happens then.... I could just imagine some guy with a Rolls getting a load of diesel into the engine..... Brrrrrr.. Chilling thought...

Gasoline blends ( Grades ) can use the same hose and nozzle... Never mixed
with diesel unless the tanker driver screwed up.

What you CAN get is trash from the storage tanks especially after a delivery. The driver dumps a load and stirs up all the gunk at the bottom of the tank.

Above ground storage tanks can get a LOT of condensation and gunk in them due to temerature changes.

I look for an Inline filter in the diesel hose usually. Some have them some don't.

Just don't buy fuel from a questionable place if the pumps look funky...

Dave....

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

When I use the pump with diesel and gas both on them never a problem for me just grab the nasty nozzle and stand in fuel and start pumping and never have I saw 1 hose used for both.but they do mix in the pipelines
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:12:41 PM by luvrbus » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »

Regarding the use of green pump nozzle covers, I've seen them on gasoline too lately.  And here is an article about them:

http://www.brandingblog.com/2006/09/what_does_green.html

As for the combo pumps, if I still had a digital camera, I'd take a pic next time I see one.  But since I don't, I'll have to leave that to someone else.  Maybe those pumps have some kind of drain back feature or something.  I don't know.  I just try to avoid those pumps.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »

Sounds to me like you ran it out of fuel, or very possibly your tank was low, and when you turned the corner into the station, all your fuel ran to the opposite side of the tank, and you sucked in air.  BTDT!!  You'll have to reprime the fuel system.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »

I am not sure but it you can crack the fuel ine after the fuel pump and see fi you are getting any flow there to make sure your fuel pump is still pumping.

If no flow you can try to prime the system and see if you can get it to flow again.

My guess not worth much in most places.

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
chriss

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »

the tow was $550.00 (ouch!) Angry  I'll see if there is anything in the filters.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »

When I use the pump with diesel and gas both on them never a problem for me just grab the nasty nozzle and stand in fuel and start pumping and never have I saw 1 hose used for both.but they do mix in the pipelines

Yup, They do mix in the same pipeline.. Just use a water plug to separate
the fuels. Think I saw that on how its made.. Dunno..

Most of the pumps that I have seen have 2 sets of nozzles, One for diesel and one for gas.

Now the green caps idea... Hmmm.. Could be a LIGHTER green for E85 ?

The dark green is mostly diesel..

There was talk of a new kind of pump that had the drain-back feature a while back, the hose empties when the pump shuts down so in that case it is possible that is where the retailers are going.

Like in "Kaliforni" they capture the vapors and re-condense them for reuse.
Nozzles have a big accordian sock to catch the fumes. ( another EPA/CARB )
nonsense.

It's interesting to look at fuel dispenser hoses and nozzle contraptions so just about anything goes technically these days...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »

OWWW!

That tow bill would pay for 4 or 5 years worth of emergency roadside assistance.

I consider the ERS as just another part of the insurance bill.

Available from your insurer, your RV club, your auto club...just make sure it is really for your big RV.

And when you call for a tow, you tell them to be sure to send the right tow truck "I've got a Greyhound style bus, I need the big wrecker."

Good luck with the fuel delivery problem.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »

chriss,

Do yourself a favor and get Good Sam road service, that $550 would have paid the GS dues for about six years and your tow could have been worse!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »

Something that we found is that AAA has RV coverage, which includes up to 100 miles free towing!!! They didn't necessarily want to cover our bus but since it is titled as an RV they did.

Just a thought.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »

The industry standard here in the good ole USA might be green for diesel, over in the Czech Republic, green is for gasoline.

I have never seen any combo nozzles either, either one for gas and one for diesel.

I'd do as others have suggested, check the filters and see how much fuel is in them. I would install some new ones anyway.

Just leave the Detroit running next time you fill up, no harm done. Gas is differant, more combustible.

Let us know what happened.

Paul
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 07:19:32 PM »

One time a few years ago, I pull into the big truck stop just East of Missoula, Mtana on I90 with my bus. I was tired after a long day on the road. I grab the yellow nozzle (yellow is for diesel in Canada) and let it pump by itself while I do my winshields, etc. Bus was iddling untill I noticed it started running rough and looked at the pump and realized I was putting gas in my tank!!!... I had my two young sons with me and they heard some strong language. I topped it off with diesel and then went in and bought a gallon of diesel treatment/lubricant and poured the whole thing in the tank, on top of probably 50/50 gas/diesel mix. That old DD never minded and has been fine ever since.

The moral of the story is: make damn sure you know what you are pumping!

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 02:08:59 AM »

The only time I almost goofed was one station that had a green nozzle that dispensed gas, only time I ever saw green for gas. I now remember the brand, BP, but I did pump a gallon or two of gas before I caught it. Even that one was not a combo setup, the diesel nozzle was black??

That's the British arrangement if it helps (and BP = British Petroleum of course). Black for diesel, green for unleaded, blue for high-octane unleaded, yellow for LPG.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 05:09:35 AM »

Ouch is right!!!   I have a emergency road service ryder on my insurance policy, costs about $5 a year. I have never used it so do not know how good it is.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
CS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 06:27:20 AM »

Most BP stations here have green on gas and Black on diesel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: