Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 08:06:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Options for charging battery bank with engine alternator  (Read 2796 times)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

I know that Trace has a switch that allows one to use your main engine alternator to charge your house battery bank.   

Any other recommendations.    I have a Bosch 160 amp alternator on my Series 60.    Is it wise to purchase another alternator and keep things seperate.
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »

one alternator works fine if the voltage is the same on both systems with a isolator between the systems has for me over the years but my alternator is 300 amps    good luck
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »

Buy a 200 amp continuous duty solenoid. Grainger has one for about $70. Hook them together and put a toggle switch on the solenoid coil control line. Works just fine. Make sure you do proper battery maintenance every 4-6 months on both banks.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »

I second Gumpy's solution with exception that I also recommend running the switch off of my ignition circuit, so there's less chance to turn the engine off and forget the switch, which would result in the system not doing what it should do.  When the key's on or in "aux" the solenoid will work... when the key's off, so is the solenoid.  Helps us brainless old farts when we forget too many details!

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »

No idea what your inverter powers but one thing to take in consideration is a alternator has to have more amps than what is drawn from the battery bank for instance if you ran a AC the 160 will not charge the batteries fast enough to keep up with the demand.I don't use the solenoids but they are more economical than the isolators and they work for most but not for me
quantum500

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »

I second Gumpy's solution with exception that I also recommend running the switch off of my ignition circuit, so there's less chance to turn the engine off and forget the switch, which would result in the system not doing what it should do.  When the key's on or in "aux" the solenoid will work... when the key's off, so is the solenoid.  Helps us brainless old farts when we forget too many details!

There is a way to make the solenoid connect only when the alternator is charging also.  Thats how I have mine wired.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:13:59 PM »

Good idea, unless you want your inverter to charge your coach batteries, too. I'm sure there's a way to wire it so both solutions work. Currently, I have on the manual switch on mine.

I set one up for a friend in AK this summer, and we wired the solenoid ground through a lighted toggle switch on the dash. When he turns on the switch, the light comes on. It works great.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:31:30 PM »

I have 2 Trace SW4024's (stacked), and 12 8D's..    I don't think the 160amp Bosch is going to cut it. 
luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:35:43 PM »

Hell of a battery bank and 8000w of inverter no way is the 160amp is going to handle that
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:37:59 PM by luvrbus » Logged
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:16:06 AM »

I have 2 Trace SW4024's (stacked), and 12 8D's..    I don't think the 160amp Bosch is going to cut it. 

So, what's the total Ah capacity of your battery bank?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

John Z
1959 GM PD-4104 4139 Northern Minnesota

"Tubby"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:28:21 AM »

Heck, hook up 10 of those 8D's in series and do away with the inverter and its loss.

Custom patches, caps, t-shirts, lapel pins etc since 1994.
Silver Brook Custom Embroidery and Patches
www.silverbrook-mn.com

"Now I Know Why Turtles Look So Smug"
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »

Gumpy 490ah per inverter
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

Wow, that is alot of stored energy with (12) 8D's, but each to his.

If you need a 200 amp continous duty contactor, and have removed the OEM A/C from you coach, you still have a 200 amp contactor for the condenser motor within your coach. That is where I scored mine to isolate the two systems.
Gumpy is correct in this recommendation. Your application with (12) 8D's may take additional consideration due to total amps available.

Have a great day.
Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 10:26:32 AM »

Gumpy 490ah per inverter

So from this post, I assume you have the batteries set up in two separate strings of 6 each at 24V, and are using each inverter to charge it's own bank?

If this is correct, you could put two 200 amp solenoids in for your crossover, connecting one to each bank, and wiring them to the same switch.

I hope you have a very strong alternator, as you could easily see charging currents in the 200+ amp range when your batteries are 1/2 discharged, which doesn't leave a lot for charging coach batteries or running the a/c or heater blowers if you're running the 50DN alternator.

Without knowing your application and usage, this setup seems like tremendous overkill in power, money, space and weight. I'm sure more than I are wondering what went into your decisions to put two SW4024's in your coach with such a huge bank of batteries. Please give us some details on why you went this route, and how you use your bus.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

Gumpy, as you know some of us still at the age that we still are working (married with kids).   I want to hit the road for 2 weeks at a time but I have to provide emergency service for some of the components that I build and service.  For my "job" (specialty automotive)I have the need to run smaller electric motors.  The equipment will be in one of my bays.   I also have a fully self contained (mobile)2000HP hub dyno system that also requires a inverter for constant power thus the Trace units.   I was able to acquire the factory Trace refurbs for decent prices (that's a story in itself).  The coach did not come from the factory with "Bus air"  >> with the color being dark charcoal,  my A/C loads are up there.  I am removing my basement air, and will put on 4 15K Penguin heat pumps.   

Supplying over the road DC current to multiple banks is my last hurdle.   Please forgive me for my "lack of knowledge" but are you folks manually engaging the contactors to switch the current path.   TIA for all you folk's help.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: