Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 10:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: watered down engine won't start  (Read 2623 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »

i was cleaning up the bus engine trying to determine oil leak areas and possible fixes.  i had it running to warm up.  sprayed it with some degreaser soap stuff, then let it set for awhile.  went back later and washed the engine off, spraying the heads, oil fill side of the engine, back toward the oil filter where just put a new line on last week, etc.  everything that i could reach from the back of the bus.  regular garden hose, not high pressure hose.

then i thought i'd start back up to dry it off and watch for leaks.  turned the switch up front, but used the starter button in back.  no start.  cranked for 5 sec, then again, then again.  didn't seem to fire.  filters clean and like i said, was just running 45 min earlier.  the battery started to slow up a little, so i quit for a few minutes.

went up to the front and hit the rocker to engage the starter and on she went.

tried it today and the back button worked fine.

any thoughts on what happened? 

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »

That's easy, you got water in the distributor Wink

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
cody

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 11:54:07 AM »

I see 2 problems, a clean detroit is a confused detroit. lol
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

Something stuck in engine stop circuit?  Engine stop piston on governor or or engine solenoid? Did you see any white smoke while cranking?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »

Sounds more like the rear starter switch got wet and wasn't making a contact. After you got it started, the heat from the engine probably dried it out and all is well!
Keep in mind, that even though it doesn't get wet wet, steam from hot water can seep into areas unknown and cause moisture on contacts to not make a connection, but you already knew that I'm sure! Smiley

Ace
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »

Ace...amen!
FWIW
I don’t know Eagle system but my MCI-8 will not run from rear panel unless front master switch on dash is in on position and trans in neutral. I believe it wired this way to keep stranger from starting.
Along what Jack said about engine kill solenoid or lever stuck in off position. You can see if kill lever is in “on” position while cranking to start.
Check to see if kill lever will move freely via hand with spring tension while in “on” mode.
FWIW
Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:49 PM »

I'm with Jack on this one...

It happened to me twice after power washing the engine.

Reset the butterfly on the emergency stop at teh injector pump.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

I'm with Jack on this one...

It happened to me twice after power washing the engine.

Reset the butterfly on the emergency stop at teh injector pump.

Nick-

Tom has a 92 series engine (8V92, I think). He doesn't have a emergency stop butterfly.

Does an eagle have a safety shutdown circuit like MCI?  Maybe water on one of the sensors was grounding it and activating the shutdown circuit.

Or, possibly the stop cylinder was stuck in the fuel off position. I've had them do that. A bit of water could cause the rod to rust a bit and stick it.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 01:51:25 PM »

Yea Craig,

I didn't mean to say butterfly but "Rod" is what I ment..

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »

Len is pulling my chain, right?  no distributor on diesel.

no white smoke.

power switch up front was on.  was in back after washing, and hit button.  like i said, i think i just walked up to front area and hit the rocker and it started.
there is a toggle which is like putting the key in and flipping on so the lights come on, then a rocker to kick the starter over.  had the toggle on when i hit the back starter button, but it only started up when i hit the front starter rocker.  today, they both worked fine.

i figured since it was turning, the compression had to be there to fire and there should not have been a fuel issue.  maybe the kill switch wire was wet, but it was right next to the start button which worked, but engine didn't kick in.  i even tried just a touch of ether which didn't make sense since it was about 70 dgrees, but tried anyway.

i think Cody was right, just didn't like the bath and the oil i washed off the engine.  gumpy is also correct in that it is an 8v92t. 

thanks for the responses.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 07:12:03 AM »

check your spark plug wires! They cause all kind of problems when wet if they haven't been replaced regularly! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
VAN

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:58 AM »

Don't forget ,wiper blades every 6,000 mi as they seriously affect the single four sided dektophonic relay valve when over lubricated whith your favorite beverage,which in turn can cause premature hyper stagnation of the sub chingus valves thus reducing syncronized harmonic balance of the exhaust reduction device's bearings.

just my 2 cents of diesel
          VAN

P.S there will always be some sort of bugs
that appear after washing an engine.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:15:14 AM by VAN » Logged
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »

Van......thank for sharing two of your bugs.

I put one of them in my file so I can test it with my can of bug killer as soon as possible.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
VAN

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:52:37 PM »

Hey man I only had one bug when I started ,See what happens when ya add water damn bugs start multiplying. LOL

Looking for raid

VAN
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:22:56 PM »

Manasst

I think they are pulling your leg. It cannot be the muffler bearing. You just got water in the carb. Have Fran pour a quart of oil in the carb while you crank it over and see what happens.

good luck

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: