Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 12:04:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are folks doing about audio in their conversions?  (Read 3099 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »

Right now, I only have a sick sounding radio for the driver in my vehicle.  All of the passenger speakers are gone because they were in the overhead luggage bays.  I don't want to reuse any part of the original REI audio system since only the amp is any good.

Do most of you use a home type audio system or a car audio system?

One issue I have is the driver sits about 2 feet down lower than the passengers.  The driver can't hear anything if there are no speakers near the driver.  I usually have between 5 and 8 passengers on my trips so I probably need four speakers in the passenger area.  I was thinking about a car audio system, but it will be fairly expensive with head unit, 6 channel amp, and 6 speakers.

Can a home audio system handle six speakers?  The only advantage I see to a car audio system is the driver can change stations and such when alone.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »

The only system we have now is a 500 watt home theater amp that is coupled to another 500 watt computer surround system with a powered sub, the computer sound system works as a preamp and is ultimately driven by the sony home amp.  Hooked into the system is a dvd player that is also coupled to the tv, what happens is we can watch tv with the true surround sound or slide a cd into the dvd player and enjoy music, I have the speakers hung from the cabinets on both sides of the living area and the system is remotely controled and all goes thru my inverter for sound on the road.We haven't added an automotive system yet but may do so in the future.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »

Belfert, if you want only 1 system go with automotive type we have a pioneer system with a 10 CD changer and 6 speakers 4 in the living area 2 in the bedroom.What I like about the automotive systems you can use the Ipod and we have outside jacks for the surround sound and the auto stereo for the patio area the only time we use the Bose system is watching TV these new auto stereos have great sound with the right speakers, and FWIW with a IPOD jack there is no need for a CD player you know Crutcfield will help you design a system for you bus      Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:40:55 AM by luvrbus » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:03:35 AM »

Up front I have a normal car type Kenwood AM/FM cassette with 6 CD changer.  This has 40 watts per channel.  The front speakers are 2-12" woofers and two piezo tweeters (no cross overs needed) from Radio Shack.  Also are two Blaubunk (sp?) 6x9 2 way about mid point mounted high on either side in the overhead cabinets.  More than enough power & sound for the front.
In the bedroom I have a full home type stereo system with two 10" woofers and two piezo tweeters on either side of the bed wired backwards so when you're laying in bed and watching TV the speakers are in tune.  Included is a AM/FM tuner/amplifier, dual cassette deck, 5 CD changer, video & DVD, all hooked up through my massive 9" color TV.  Works well.  Next time will install a 5.1 surround sound system with flat panel.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »

My system is, as is usual for me, somewhat weird, but it works extremely well.  It's integreated in with the video stuff as follows:

I got a panasonic Tuner/DVD/CD player that has 4 channels of 60w power amp for the "main" speakers, and I bought a separate mono aux. 200 watt amp for a sub-bass driver.
I never use CD's- instead I have a permanently affixed "base" for an Ipod mounted to my dash, and it hooks into the panasonic via it's "aux" input.  It is SOOO nice not having
CD's laying all over the place. My entire audio collection resides in the ipod, and because of the base, anyone can plug theirs in too. Nice feature for instant variation.

The panasonic is also used for playing DVD's into the video system, which thanks to a nifty litle box called "VGA BOX" from ebay, can allow my big LCD monitor to act as my backup monitor, my DVD viewer, my  GPS (hooked to my onboard PC) or as a computer, etc.

Anyway, back to the audio...  I've found that little bookshelf speakers called ADS L-300 (made in the 60's and 70's) are the BEST for their extremely small size, and can get quite loud with little distortion as compared to anything else in their size.  Again, always available on ebay... They are small enough that I mounted two over the driver seat and two more over the passenger seat; hooked to the 4 outputs of the Panasonic I get two separate stereo sets that are independantly controllable- the wife can have hers quiet while mine thump away.

Last, I made a custom 12" subwoofer cabinet that lives between the two couches back 6' behind the driver. It doesn't matter where it is if it's made properly, but it makes an AMAZING difference in the ambience of whatever you're listening to.  You don't have to turn it up so loud that it sounds like one of those stupid cars that pull up to you at a traffic light and knock your lungs out.  Just having some sub-bass in the area is amazing.

Last, the Panasonic also has aux. outputs which feed to a separate stereo amp and two more ADS speakers in the bedroom (rear of the bus), which has it's own Ipod base as well, so I can either listen to what's going on up front, or my own ipod back there.

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
cody

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »

Now if only we could build in one of our DJ setups we'd have enough sounds.  This is the war department and one of our setups.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:36 AM »

Anyway, back to the audio...  I've found that little bookshelf speakers called ADS L-300 (made in the 60's and 70's) are the BEST for their extremely small size, and can get quite loud with little distortion as compared to anything else in their size.  Again, always available on ebay... They are small enough that I mounted two over the driver seat and two more over the passenger seat; hooked to the 4 outputs of the Panasonic I get two separate stereo sets that are independantly controllable- the wife can have hers quiet while mine thump away.

Are you using a home type or a car type tuner/CD/DVD?  What type of amps?

Those ADS L300 speakers look like the way to go.  Any isses with the speakers drying out and not working?  The speakers in my Dina were only 10 years old or so, but some of them were all dried out and falling apart.  Of course, they probably paid $5 each for them at most.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 01:15:22 PM »

Hey cody, you know you can replace half of that rack (at least) with a DriveRack...just sayin'...more portable that way.  Nice collection of speakers, though.  Now mounting all of that in a bus would be most cool...

I think a good DJ rig would work well in a bus.  You could even add in a lazer strobe and a disco ball.  Creates amazing new possibilities for one of those coaches where the whole side opens up....

Grin Grin Grin Grin
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »

I've got a lot of the ADS speakers and they are flawless... never dried out etc.
Be aware, in my opinion that's the only one ADS made that sounds good.  The bigger ones are not nearly as good sounding...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
cody

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 01:38:33 PM »

Interesting, a driverack? are you refering to the Driverack that is mounted above the cd control unit? If you look closer you'll also see a computerized copilot for the lighting system that programs the 6 banks of lights, it controls a total of 32 lights, we normally don't carry more than 32 lights for most shows, above that is the strobe controller that programs the 8 strobes to go with the music and above that is the DMX laser controller, all FCC certified and licensed.  The 32 band EQ unit you see above the mixer is a manual override unit for the secondary system that includes a 48 channel recording head. We are licensed to operate up to 500Mw for the lasers we use for outdoor venues.  Our driverack unit is the dbx quantum11 unit and it does do a great job for what it'sa designed to do.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:48:54 PM by cody » Logged
rip

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »

We have a Bose surround sound system that is also hooked up to our TV.I also have a Pioneer car radio I use when driving with two 6x9 speakers mounted up front. I love the Bose but in 7 years we had to send the unit back twice.Bose did pay for the second repair with no shipping cost to me.
         Don
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »

Belfert,
I have two systems, both are up front, for the road we use a car head unit with two 6x9's.
for the home unit we use an Onkyo mini system, works great, sounds great, it has AM-FM, a CD player, A DVD player, (through our flat screen) it will play from IPods, Sub woofer port, and it is satelite radio ready. The best part is it small so it fits in the cabinet under the dash. I bought it refurbished off Ebay for 1/2 price

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=CS-V720S&class=Audiosys&p=i

Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »

Brian,

Check out these guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-12V-AM-FM-Radio-Stereo-Cassette-Player-RV-Motorhome_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ50070QQihZ016QQitemZ260285162952QQtcZphoto#ebayphotohosting

I bought the RV CD player(no longer listed and the cube speakers.

Sounds great.

I am planning on adding a few overhead speaker in the drivers area with a volume control.

I would a put regular radio up front for when I am traveling alone......Hmmm....I may never need one.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

Full blown home theater system. Boston Acustic front and back. Sound is absolutely incredible with four inches of interior insulation. Better than front row at a concert. Add in the 50 LCD HD and you are front row without the smell! Grin

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

Now if only we could build in one of our DJ setups we'd have enough sounds.  This is the war department and one of our setups.

Hi Cody,
I have those same Crewin Vega base cabs in my shop. I wonder if they would fit in my bus?? ??
I can just picture you Blasting Libby while she is sitting in front of those cabnits...Lol
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 07:03:12 PM »

geez, with all the stereo equipment you all have, i almost hate to mention my more than adequate car audio system.  we had a car stereo system already installed that i thought was distorted and cheap, so we replaced it with a new inexpensive ($120) system that has all the ipod, xm and usb inputs as well as some others.  5" speakers above my head, by the door near the passenger seat, and we put the "rear" speakers in the front bay so we could also listen outside.

i turn up the left front speaker when i'm driving so i can't hear my copilot until she makes a physical contact (slap to the back of the head). 

We also have a regular 120v stereo tape deck, radio system that was installed in the bedroom.

no where close to Cody's setup but since i got the hearing aids, stereo isn't quite the draw it obviously used to be.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »

lol nick, the problem with using cerwin vega earthquakes in a bus is the downfiring set if 18's, each one has 2-18 inch cones, one front firing and one downfiring, they need a hard surface to properly work, my setup goes down to 4hz, normally 18hz is concidered the level of hearing, at 4hz you feel it but cannot hear it anymore, it's subsonic. I run 1200 watts per channel with 8 channels powered. The earthquakes top out at 2000 watts per cone but don't really come to life at the volume levels that would keep a bus rocking, if a person were to dial down the volume by bringing the hz down to a threshold that still is audible you could control the volume level but the bus would be shaking lol, could be fun to try it in as small as a 40 ft container lol.  Another possible problem is air movement, they are a 4in long throw cone, they move enough air to snuff out a candle at 3ft lol.  Would be fun to try tho lol.
Dreamscape

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »

We have nothing to brag about, and certainly is not ear deafening. The driver area has a simple but good am/fm with single cd player. The living area will have a house type stereo with five speakers hooked up to the tv. The bedroom has a separate 12v audio system with am/fm and cd player, with two speakers.

Someday I'll have outside speakers for the house system along with a small tv.

It is very effective but not epensive.

Works for us,

Paul
cody

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »

Tom, we've been djing for several years, we've had a while to build up the system.  We've operated a photo studio for the last 30 years, doing weddings, family portraits, senior pics etc, it kept libby busy while I worked for the state, we added djing to the studio so we could better serve the wedding community, we'd cover both the wedding with the photography and the receptions with the music (more money lol).  After I retired in 2000 we went full time and now have 3 studio's and 4 dj systems out, my daughters keep them operating and it's helped fund our traveling.  Last fall we brought a few cd's with us to enjoy on the road, BK enjoyed some of them in TN, it's fun.  Our system in the bus isn't anywhere at the point I hope to take it in time.  Picture sitting inside a speaker cabinet.  High powered systems don't need to be loud, with a higher powered system you can operate it at lower distortion levels without clipping at lower volume levels. In a bus it's not going to matter but for a party it might, a lower powered system at higher volume levels will be closer to the distortion threshold than a higher powered system would,  If your car will only do 75 and you want to travel at 65, it's almost going full out, if your car will go 180 and you go at 65 it's only idleing.
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 06:13:13 AM »

Interesting, a driverack? are you refering to the Driverack that is mounted above the cd control unit? .... Our driverack unit is the dbx quantum11 unit and it does do a great job for what it'sa designed to do.

Interesting... I have never seen that model DriveRack.  I work mostly with the DriveRack PA and I LOVE it. Although, I have installed a couple 48XX systems as well.  Haven't had an opportunity to try the PX yet as I'm not a huge fan of powered speakers in most instances.  Cool...
cody

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »

http://www.northernlightfx.com/cart/product.php?productid=1186&cat=1201&page=1    The quantum takes signal processing to the next level, it works well with multimedia systems, we had the driverackpa system for several years but it was somewhat limiting, we would use the rta mic to set up the sound at the beginning of th evening and then several times thruout the night, the quantum uses different technology to do that, it monitors the venue on an ongoing basis and adjusts the sound requirements continually, as the room fills up the room becomes softer and the sound changes, this adjusts it automatically so white and pink noise is a constant regardless of the room accoustics.  It also has the same built in goodies for compression, limiting, crossovers, etc, but on a much higher level, with the continual monitoring of the room accoustics it creates a zone approach to adjusting the sound quality, our sound is all dvd audio and multidimensional, the quantum adjusts the sound in any particular region of the venue as needed.
VAN

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:04 AM »

All I got to say is WOW,how about building altec/lansings "VOICE OF THE THEATER"system (if you could find one cheap)right into the shell,could possibly insert a bedroom some where behind one of the sub woofer (LOL).Belfert At this point I'd just put a portable on the dash (LOL)
till you can find somthing suitable for your rig

just my 2 decibels worth

VAN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

Van-I have Altec Voice of the Theatre A7 500's at home.  They were my senior high school wood shop project to build the cabinets.  The speakers are from the 60's since they are 16ohm.  I have them still to this day and are spoiled by there sound and high efficiency-I have a 45 watt per channel powering them and when I test the speakers, I put on ear muffs they are so loud.  I also wish I could use them in the bus for there unique sound quality.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 08:19:59 AM »

There are some incredible sound systems available, a bus is a unique opportunity to play with sound, the basic configuration of a bus is like being inside a speaker.  Computer sound systems will also work with automotive and home theater applications, you'll need to get the adapters for the plugs but Radio Shack can take care of that.  One thing that happened when pc's hit the market is that accoustic providers jumped into the development area and started coming up with some interesting ideas as far as bringing down the size requirements and weights, some of the micro systems have incredible sound, back in the 60's, speakers had to be big and heavy, sound was carried primarily by moving massive amounts of air.  Now with the new synthetic materail for cones they are much more responsive and can be driven with much lower power to produce the same volume levels, the old heavy paper cones are gone lol.  I don't think anyone will ever replace a big Marshall tube amp but thats a different subject lol. Check into some of the computer sound systems when your designing your audio system. It's another alternative.
VAN

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »

Tom,thats a cool speaker system . I still use my model 14"s powered by two Parasound A23's my sources are either my I-pod or occasionaly I might flip a 33 plater on and trip back to the 70's

Purple Haze is on my mind

VAN
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »

I have some old altec lansing computer speakers($69 bucks way back when) with a subwoofer that i had laying around.  I plug in to headphone jack on lap top and can play CDs, (dvd's if need be) and any music i have stored on the computer.  i have the laptop for gps/nav/speedometer and checking board if wifi at sight.  some times we just plug a cd or mp3 player into the jack.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 04:22:53 PM »

I have a 1000watt Sony Entaintment System.  While traveling I hook in my IPod, which has 2300 songs in it. The Pod mounts on my left side controls.  From the Ipod I can change songs, control the volume. While traveling along, I usely will crank up the Rock and Roll.

Bill
Rainy Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Dreamscape

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »

I have a 1000watt Sony Entaintment System.  While traveling I hook in my IPod, which has 2300 songs in it. The Pod mounts on my left side controls.  From the Ipod I can change songs, control the volume. While traveling along, I usely will crank up the Rock and Roll.

Bill
Rainy Tampa Bay

I have first hand experience with that, don't I Bill. When he gets a phone call he can't hear it over the music! Roll Eyes

Believe me his system sounds great.

Paul
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »

That's true Paul, I've missed more than one call cruising down the highway with the sound turned up.....LOL

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: