Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 01:00:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running the rack  (Read 3929 times)
mccarlk

1967 mci 5 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

if i put jakes on my 871ta will ineed to run the rack or can i just install them?

treat every day like is your last, just make sure you dont spend all your money,in case its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 06:01:32 PM »

Mc; you will need to run your rack and adjust your governor setting for the switch you need the Jake gauge it works better than a regular feeler gauge.You guys are wrong about the old guys being the only one to work on 2 stroke the military has hundreds of these young men and women working on the engine and fwiw they are taught run the rack in the night time and with a dial indicator when a gauge is not available try that guys
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 06:10:17 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 06:01:41 PM »

Go to the Jacobs engine brakes web site. They have an instalation manual in pdf. You just install them, then adjust them so they open the valves the right amount for your engine.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »

Mc; go by the manual for sure there is more to it than just installing the brakes you have the buffer switch to deal with , the fuel lines and the oil tubes   have a great  day
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »

As for myself, I can learn anything if I put my heart into it.

I hear ya! Ö..Spoken like a true bus nut!

We should get some of these old mechanics to give us a seminar on how to tune up a 2 stoke. Now there is an idea for a bus rally...

I would be tickled to just see it done on Youtube. Anyone up for it the next time you have your rack run?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 08:00:11 PM »

How much time is normally used to run a rack on an 8v71?

Having a seminar at a rally sounds like a super duper idea. Cool

I'm thinking about that for TBR next year...I know scary thought huh? Wink

Paul
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »

I'm sure we could find a experienced mechanic that would like to share his knowledge.

A talk and demo on the complete tune up would be best, starting with setting the governor, to running the rack, to adjusting the valves, timing the injectors, setting the gap on the Jakes and setting the iddle and max no load speeds. A good presenter could do it in a couple of hours. Or 2 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs in the afternoon. These are just preliminary ideas. Of course finding the mechanic/lecturer would be the start. I'm hosting the spring BC Bus Nuts rally in the spring, so I'll ask if there would be any interest, and look for someone to do it. I know some mechanics I could ask, who know others maybe...

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 08:33:57 PM »

Hey JC where is the BC bus nuts rally next spring. I might be able to help you out.

Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 08:40:25 PM »

You guys have a rally close to a Stewart & Stevenson location I may can help with a tech with a little notice I'll send you one if you don't mind having one that just starting shaving   have a great evening
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

It will be in Invermere, BC on the May long week-end. I am currently working on confirming the location and time and details. Invermere is in South Eastern BC, half way between Cranbrook and Golden, directly North of the Idaho Panhandle. We just had our fall rally in Spokane, Wa. a couple weeks ago. There were 23 coaches and a great time was had by all.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »

You guys have a rally close to a Stewart & Stevenson location I may can help with a tech with a little notice I'll send you one if you don't mind having one that just starting shaving   have a great evening

Are you talking to me in Texas?

Are you sure the little shaver know what he's doing?  Grin

Just as long as he know these ole two strokers.

Maybe I can talk Clifford and Sonnie to do one....Are you hearing me guys?

Paul

Paul
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »

JC keep me in mind, I have done it all except for the jakes, thats what I did for most of my 33 years on the buses. Most were 6V71's. some 8's.

Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »

"It will be in Invermere, BC on the May long week-end. I am currently working on confirming the location and time and details. Invermere is in South Eastern BC, half way between Cranbrook and Golden, directly North of the Idaho Panhandle. We just had our fall rally in Spokane, Wa. a couple weeks ago. There were 23 coaches and a great time was had by all."

Sure wish I would have know about the rally, it was about 10 miles from me.  Saw a bit in the newspaper about it.

Maybe next time.  Be sure to  let us know about the spring rally.

Thanks
Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 09:17:58 PM »

This is also a good idea for a series in the magazine, hint, hint, then all can see if we can't be at the rally.

Ray D
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »

Dreamscape S&S is not just in Texas the CO is in 6 countries and 11 states not all have engine shops but Houston or Dallas would work best for me and believe me some of the young guns from the military are a whiz on these engines  have a good evening
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:49:50 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: