Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running the rack  (Read 3991 times)
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 06:41:15 AM »

I have to comment on the post that mentions the military folks working on Detroit's.  My youngest son is a SSGT in the army and is leaving for His third tour in the sand box!  When He saw My bus one look at the engine and He lit up.  I found very interesting His take on the two stroke engines.  The large hemet wreckers have the 8v92 which makes 475 BHP.  Considering the enviorment they are operating in I would have thought that He would have a very negative opinion of them!  His opinion is that they outlast the other engines by a large margin and are never any problem.  How would any of us like to change a injector in a sand storm out on a road while being shot at!  I do not truly believe that many Americans have a clue what real misery is!  Try one of these young troops, You/We may find that there is a whole new generation of two stroke fans out there.  John
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »

Take the mystery out of your misery...

Get the engine manual, step by step and pictures.

No voodoo involved, set it to spec and job is done.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dallas

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »

Interesting...

I have around $1000/USD in the tools I use to run the rack. Normally it takes a couple of hours, sometimes it takes until the cows come home..
Technically there is no mystery in running the rack, but... there is an art to it.

Use BW's method and you can be happy, but I doubt that it will be right

Good Luck

Take the mystery out of your misery...

Get the engine manual, step by step and pictures.

No voodoo involved, set it to spec and job is done.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »

oops....

and spend a lot of money on tools you won't use again...

my mistake.

choose your own cost/benefit point!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Dallas; I gave up on trying to tell these guys about the special tools required to work on a 2 stroke it is not an easy engine to work on some get away with running the rack and injector timing but most don't and  v engine is worst get off adjustment on one side there goes the engine and it does require experience and the right touch but as they say live and learn fwiw I paid over 300 bucks for my Snap-On timing gage over 20 years ago if you could buy now it would probably be 1000 bucks
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:48:56 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:09 PM »

Sorry if we're hijacking.  I leaned tough, er touch typing 43 years ago and still remember today.  Same with feed, er, speed reading.  Stuff like that stays with you kinda.  Like valve settings on my '57.  Hugh?

Would learning how to run your Detroit Diesel rack be something that could be taugh at a Bus Conversion Convention or rally?  Who would teach it?  I'd pay to learn something sossss cool.  Bring your tools.

Then like already said...you could claim bragging rights for stating that this weekend you are going to tune up your mighty old Detroit and really mean it.  Sounds good to me, but then I'm crazy.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
luvrbus

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 07:51:19 PM »

HB, did you set it on .008 and .013 I still remember that setting for my 270 hp Chevy in 1957 with the 097 cam and today can't remember to comb my hair  good luck
roger dolan

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:51 PM »

When you get all done make absolutely sure that the throttle closes all the way. and when you are ready to start get a hold of the emergency stop. If you have ever had one of these babys run away for you it ranks right up with the scarest things that will ever happen to you.

Roger 4106
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:56 PM »

I had an Isky "20 "20, Huh  That comes to mind but what the.....?  .010 In. and .015 Ex..  Bakersfield.  50 wt. in the summer.  Liked to hear 'em.  How is it possible we remember such stuff?  Dunno.  Strange, very strange.

Is it just possible that we are getting old?  No way!!!  Back on topic, (kinda) I would love to put a aluminimumiumm block 353N into my '78 Chevy Stepside Half.  Then I would have to learn to run my rack....WITH the Jake ...He he he,   Smiley Smiley Smiley
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »

It's all about the bounce man! all about the bounce.

Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »

hb

you can help me put the detroit in my van.  just waiting on dallas to find it for me

He sent me a picture  just no engine

ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: