Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:12:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of a clutch installation  (Read 3541 times)
Bob Gilbert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 08:04:49 AM »

I can tell you from experience what it takes to r & r clutch in 1977 05 as me and the wife done it. We went through the floor under the bed and with a bar across bed frame and comealong lowered trans to the ground, jacked the bus up enough to slide it out. The reason we pulled it was to repair oil leaks, if you are just going to replace clutch you could probably leave it under the bus. we pulled the clutch and flywheel to fix engine leaks also. Probably 3 or so hours to pull and same to replace. We also had the drivers side wheels off, gives you more room to work.
Good luck Bob
gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »

Less than a year ago I had the clutch replaced in my 1968 05 Eagle and it cost about $1500.   I would have to go back and check records to get the exact amount.

Frank Lambert of Lambert's Engine Sales & Service out of Smithfield, NC (I-95).
Frank has personally owned an Eagle for 20 years +.  Uses it most weekends with a BG/Gospel group. 

If U need phone # or futher directions then contact me. 

Enjoying the journey in NC,

Gene

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »

Southern Oregon Diesel charged a friend of mine $2800.00 (parts new not rebuilt and labor) for one they pulled the engine and transmission reading the manual for Eagles that is the way that it is recommended by far looks like the safeset way  have a great day
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:23:13 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »

See now we are talking reasonable quotes/prices! $8,000 is just flat out a rip off! I can see a shop charging 12 hrs +/- "book time" or maybe even slightly more maybe even up to 20 MAX! But to say the rearend has to come out and it's gonna take 40 hrs @ around $8,000.00 is purely hosing someone! (and not offering any Vaseline either!) JMHO FWIW! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:01 PM »

I replaced the clutch in my MC-5 last winter. Slid the engine and clutch out the back using a Detroit dolly. 8 hours to get it out, 8 to replace the clutch and all hoses; compressor regulator, etc. and another 8 or so to put it all back in. Quite easy. As the local bus company mechanic told me: "it looks a lot harder than it is". Much safer that way also. The tranny weighs about 300 pounds I think. No way would I tackle that job from underneath or thru the bedroom floor. The MC-5 also has a drop box.

I think the clutch was about $1,200.00. I was told not to put a truck clutch in it. Special issue for busses apparently. Could have saved money buying a truck clutch at Catco. 24 hours for an amateur with some buddies and a few beers. -priceless-

Fred

Fred Thomson
Catskinner!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »

I changed out the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot
bearing, in my 0/5 Eagle.  This was in a Wal-Mart parking lot about
9 years ago, with the help of a good friend it took us 10 Hrs.  If i remember
correctly the parts were about $500.00, of course my wife went to
Dallas and picked up the parts for me while we were tearing it down.
I used a sawhorse inside and a come-along to hold up the transmission.

Good Luck!
Catskinner!
Sonnie & Patti Gray
72 0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro, Texas
luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »

Sonnie, is that why you have a 740 Allision now I never saw anybody drop the transmission the 2  ex Trailway guys south of Dallas rolled the engine out but they allways changed the rear seal on the engine and surfaced the flywheel.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »

I've heard my dad & Robert talk about replacing clutches and/or trannys in Robert's Eagles in parking lots before lots of times! And they always did it Bob &  Sonny's way! Which is where I learned to do it! For what it's worth! Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 07:58:53 AM »

Back in the early 1990, I had mine replaced by Sun Tours in NC.  They put two men on it and were done in 4 hrs.  They set two jack stands under the bed and with a comealong let the trans. down.  This was a wast because as soon as I got back from that trip I put in the Allison 740.  This would be a good time to do the same.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Blacksheep

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »

I had a 1965 01 Eagle and to replace the clutch and other items, was around 63,000. I bought a Prevost with factory automatic! Smiley
Does that sound out of line?

Ace
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:58 AM »

I am not sure your clutch is bad! Think you need to do further troubleshooting before shooting yourself in the foot. Several items it could be other than clutch. Someone asked if the drive shaft turned when you let the clutch out - a good place to start. Also visual of clutch operation. Broken axle?

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

My wife and I can pull the Tranny/clutch on my 4104 in 4 hours, it goes back in 3 hours. The cost of new lining on the clutch plate/turn down the fly wheel and set the springs, cost $295.00.
When reinstalling the fly wheel be sure you use the Detroit recomended torques/NEW Bolts and Detroit gunk for the bolts. We didn't the first time and after 5000 miles the fly wheel came loose and broke all but one bolt.No problems if you install it back correctly.

John
robert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:49 PM »

I have a model 10 with a 6v92 and a 5 speed spicer. I paid $3,000.00 and some change for a new one. They did not pull the motor. I sat by and drank some beers. It took them around 10 hours of labor with 2 guys.

Thanks, Robert at www.tamihall.com
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »

In my honest opinion ANYTHING done complete for less than $4,000.00 or $5,000.00 labor, parts and EVERYTHING related included is acceptable!

and then there's this     \/  Grin

Grin
I had a 1965 01 Eagle and to replace the clutch and other items, was around 63,000. I bought a Prevost with factory automatic! Smiley
Does that sound out of line?

Ace
Grin

Ace you really got TOOK to the cleaners! You coulda had a real bus a whole lot cheaper!

Shoot you had one, all you needed to do was spend about $10,000.. and put an automatic in it! LOL! Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »

Seems like any way you slice this pie it is working out to be around 20 man hrs everybody allways has 2 people working on it and in shop labor that second person is not free    have a great day
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: