Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 02:31:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MC9 5-speed transmission removal  (Read 1059 times)
phloide

wintering on Vancouver Island this year

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2006, 07:18:13 PM »

In order to fix a fairly serious oil leak, I have to pull the transmission , clutch and flywheel on my MC9 - 6V92 5-speed. My mechanic wants to confirm we can do it without taking the motor out. Looks like lots of room but not having worked on a coach before we want to know for sure. Also, any tips to avoid problems would be appreciated. Thanks!! ... Floyd Lillies, Nakusp, BC

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:32:23 PM »

Yes it's a lot of work, but it can be done. I changed a clutch on a 102A3 about 4-5 yrs ago! We did it from underneath and would do it that way again,  now with an automatic I'd pull both engine & trans! JMHO BK  Grin Cool Roll Eyes

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »

It can be done. I've done a few.
Just make sure the bellhousing will be supported to frame (without the trans) before you begin.
In one of the MCI manuals it actually shows a dolly that rides on the rails, supports trans & slides unit away from the bellhousing.
Can't remember which manual, but I'll try to find some info if i can.
I used a big trans jack to support and remove the unit. Chained unit to jack for safety.
Never took it off of the jack, just rolled it out of the way.
Be careful - trans is heavy and clutch and pressure plate assy is very heavy too.
Mark the flywheel, bolt "ring", and put a mark on the bellhousing  before you remove the flywheel.Use a paint marker.
It will help during reassembly.
Best of luck with your repair.
Sammy  Cool
NCbob

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »

Floyd, good luck on your job. Please, if you don't mind, would you advise me what size (diameter) clutch you have in your MC9 and whether or not it is a twin Disk clutch?  If you read my post earlier and my request for MC9 Clutch information you'll realzie why I'm asking.  My Email is in my profile.

Thanks,

NCbob
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:25:07 PM »

If you have a forklift to pull the motor, I think it's way quicker to pull the motor & tranny, than laying on you back with dirt and grease falling in your face .. it only takes me 4 hrs to pull it. and way easier to work on.
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: