Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 05:09:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheels  (Read 2584 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »

Tom C,

Why do you recommend going with aluminum wheels? We have steel on ours and they seem to work fine. I was just curious about your philosophy on this. Anybody have thoughts?

Also what about tire brands. We have Michilans on our steers and Firestones on our drives (I know, not the most desirable but when they need to be changed we will put another brand on) and BF Goodrich on our tags. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »

aluminum wheels are used because the heat dissipating coefficient characteristics of aluminum are far greater than steel. The heat dissipation and less weight also are important factors in improved braking and of course greater fuel economy.
 Those are the facts they use to justify buying them, the real reason is they look sooo coooool  Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »

Less rotating mass means more MPG in theory.  Most busnuts are unlikely to ever drive enough miles to justify aluminum wheels on MPG basis alone.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:17:16 PM »

Being lighter you also get a better ride with aluminum.

Ray D
John316

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:32:28 PM »

I forgot to ask, do you need longer studs for aluminum wheels or are they just plug and play with the original studs.

And what are some of the cons of the aluminum wheels?

God bless,

John

Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:48:01 AM »

Yes it is possible that you might need longer studs for them, that is if the ones you already have are not long enough.

In trucking they push them because of the lighter wheel letting the truck haul more payload.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:00:56 AM »

Hi Guys,
You say aluminum wheels are lighter. How much lighter? I have asked this question many times and have never received a definitive answer. Everyone seems to just guess at an answer of anywhere from 20 to 40 pounds difference. Can anyone give an authoritative answer? Let's compare 8.25 X 22.5 wheels. Steel weighs ______, and aluminum weighs ______.
Thanks, Sam 4106

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:02 AM »

I have noticed that the city buses in Saint Pete all run aluminum wheels.  I assume there must be an economic advantage.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:21:59 AM »

Our local transit provider got a batch of Gillig hybrid transits last year and I noticed the other day they have aluminum wheels.  They have been receiving more hybrid buses from Gillig, but these have a new design on the front and steel wheels this time.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »

22.5 x 8.25" aluminum wheels are about 35lbs lighter then steel.  When you have 18 of them, that's an extra 630lb of load capacity to make more money.  On our buses, all the previously stated is true, less rotating mass, better heat dissipation, less unsprung weight for a better ride (I noticed a better ride when I switched-less pounding).
Disadvantages-more expensive, can crack if you kiss a curb (don't ask why I know this), needs to be polished 2 or 3 times a year-although there are permanent shine wheels now available.
There is nothing wrong with steel wheels-especially if painted nicely.  I just prefer them because of the look, ride, and heat dissipation.  And because they are made from one piece of aluminum (rather then the welded steel) they are naturally better balanced from the start then steel.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »

Well as for an exact weight difference I can't help ya! But about half!
Now as for all the hoopla about better fuel mileage, braking, ride, etc. Yes I'm sure it's true to some degree!
But in my HONEST opinion (and yes I even had to own up to it to DAD before he'd let me put them on our buses)the main and best reason to go aluminum is that they polish up and really make the truck/bus look really sharp! (remember before WE got into buses, I had trucks!)

And dad would ALWAYS tell me "now son all that chrome, won't get ya HOME!" and my response was always "no, but I'll sure look good sit'n on the side of the road!" LOL! JMHO FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies. You all answered my question. Sorry for the delay we have been in Canada for the last little while.

God bless,

John

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »

In a fleet application, where the wheels will see quite a few sets of tires before they are done...

steel wheels need paint. paint costs money and has to be put on properly by someone who knows what they are doing, too much paint on the mating and fastening surfaces can lead to wheel fasteners loosening...

aluminum wheels are more expensive, but then don't need paint, and as noted, make some more payload available, if you can gross the truck out to take advantage of the weight savings.

Appearance won't impress shareholders... have a look at who is running what going down the road.

If it makes money in their calculations, the corporate fleets are running aluminum, otherwise, it's steel.

GREAT CARE needs to be taken by a busnut in search for used rims of both types, but especially for aluminum, as it's harder to look at them and decide if they are safe to use.

You need to get the manufacturer's measurements to be sure you aren't buying a worn out aluminum rim, primarily in the wheel fastener area. I know that Accuride has some plastic go/no go gauges that you put through the fastener holes to check for the depth of the metal and the angles of the chamfers.

Steel rims, a little easier as you can see out of round holes, and wear at the mating/fastener surfaces.

Money saved on wheels might not be...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
BJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:09 PM »

Wink  Chances are very good that you will need longer wheel studs. stock steel wheels are not as thick as aluminum. don't be foolish and use the stock short studs your life is worth more than that. Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: