Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 05:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Foot Levelers  (Read 4730 times)
Skykingrob

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:34:52 PM »

All
I have priced the "factory" installing big foot levelers on my Prevost and at $6K, am looking for options. One of the options is to buy the system from a wholesaler and install it myself. To buy the same system is $3.9K. For me to drive the bus to the factory is a 1800 mile one way trip, so, has anyone installed this system themselves? Anyone had a system installed on a Prevost? If so, any pics could be posted? Anyone know a really good welder with bus experience in the Kansas City-Tulsa-Springfield area who could do the welding? I had an air leveling system on a Newell we previously owned and was not real happy with it so this is why I am trying to go hydralic.

Thanks for your help

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
SW Missouri
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »

Rob, if you can make it to Quartzsite AZ in Jan they have people that will install the manual control Big Foot system for around $4000.00 they are there every year during the big event you could even park with all the Eagles at our rally.I have HWH levelers on my Eagle they are more heavy duty than the Big Foot levelers. Cody on this board got a great buy on the Big Foot at a surplus store in IN    are you here Cody  help this guy save some bucks   good luck
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:55:31 PM by luvrbus » Logged
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »

i was quoted $6k for a set on my Eagle.  he said he had to reinforce the frame.  Big foot themselves wouldn't touch it.  the sale manager said no problem, we'll inspect it and let you know asap.  then we pulled into the garage.  they said there was no place to install them on a bus frame??? Shocked Shocked

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »

Tom, thats weird Doyle (Texas border dude) just had a set of Big Foot installed on his Eagle at Quadra in Lakeland FL( Roy was the Quadra guy ) this year I know of probably 20 or more Eagles that have them. Maybe the guy didn't want to bother with them I have had my HWH for years   good luck
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:09:39 PM by luvrbus » Logged
cody

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »

I can't remember exactly what I paid for the levelers but I guess around less than 200 for the entire system at Bontragers, it's still in my bay, I got 4 levelers and the control unit, I still need to get the hydrolic lines tho, I imagine they will cost some.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:26:03 PM »

FwIw Quadra (big foot) in Lakeland Fl quoted me $6800.00 last year after inspecting my bus a model 15 45ft Eagle
rip

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:33:30 AM »

Rob;
   I have a set of Big Foot on my 85 Prevost which I did install myself. I installed them four years ago and if I remember I paid around $3400 for the auto system. At the time there was a guy in Tucson AZ. that charged $1200.My bus weight is 40,000 lbs. and the jacks work great with no problems. Each jack has it's own pump with 17,500 cap. on each jack.If you buy a set let me know and I can help you with the placement of the jacks. I fulltime so my jacks get a workout.
    Don
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:41 AM »

Rob; there are other options for you besides HWH and Big Foot I have been looking into different types I have a air level system on my Eagle that came from the factory installed and it is a joke.I've been checking into the  www.powerpluslevelers.com that are electric they cost about 1/2 of what the others do,I like the HWH and would be best for me with the HWH slides I have but the price is about 2 grand more than Big Foot what I don't like about Big Foot is the power up but was told they are changing that feature on the system. Do research and get the best for you just don't buy a name   have a great day
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:48:08 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »

HERE'S AN OPTION:

I had a full set of manual BigFoot levelers for my Neoplan.  These are the HD 21" cylinders.  However the Neoplan is now gone as I decided to change plans to a HDT and fifth wheeler.  I am in the process of converting my Kenworth T2000 and part of that is a bed for my smart car to sit crossways on and hydraulically unload.  To overhang the weight of the car like that I have used two of my four BigFoot cylinders and pumps to stabilze the truck.  I still have two complete, new in the box units left.  They are the manual ones and come with steel mounting brackets and the control panel for four units.  The full set of four cost me $2,500 in '03 when I bought them (I received a manufacturers discount).  I will sell the pair Shocked MESSAGE ME  Roll Eyes and you get the control panel and are only missing the wiring harness (I had to use that) and the circuit breaker.  You can pick up two more used or new from them.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:15:48 PM by NEO/Russ » Logged

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »

shykingrob,

I have a full set,e-mail me at flx1969@embargmail.com 
jim

i

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »

All
I appreciate the replys. I talked to the factory and got the price but they would not assure me if I drove to White Pigeon, MI (900 miles, 12 hours one way) they would put the system in. They "thought" they could do it but "bus are hard to do". I then talked to Roy in Lakeland, FL who said he was "pretty sure" he could do it. He said they would have to weld a 1/4" plate of steel to the front part of the bays, then bolt the jacks on "like I do the Eagles". "No never done a Prevost before". The rears he "thought" he could put them on the back near the engine cradle. But he still said, "you will have to bring it to me to make sure I can do it". Wow, 1800 mile trip to "see".
I talked with the folks at powerplus. They don't have anything heavy enough to do the job on a bus at 40K.
I am much closer to HWH but they are $2-3K higher than Big Foot and "not sure we can do it until we see the bus". I offered pics and got "well that might help".
I see by Rips reply, it has been owner installed before so maybe a plus. I sure like the price Cody got them for, what a sweet deal!!! Luvrbus, AZ in Jan, maybe good option to consider, given we will likely have snow on the ground then.
Please continue to through all any "hydralic" options you may have, air is not going to be something I  consider unless there is no option.

Thanks guys

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
SW Missouri
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »

Hi Jimsflx
I have sent an email to both your email addresses and got a return from the adminstrator of undeliverable on both. Give me some other option to communicate with you and I will. Thanks

Rob
91 LeMirage XL
SW Missouri
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »

skykingbob phone no.269 three five two three o three eight thanks Jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

Rob I guarantee you that if you buy a set like Cody did, I have a guy who CAN & WILL install them for you!
He is an awesome fabricator, awesome certified welder, and CAN DO TYPE GUY!

Now for the bad part, we ain't located in the KC, Tulsa, Springfield area.
But it's only a 5-6 hr drive from Springfield to here (315 miles).

I can assure you Mark can and will do an awesome job for you at a very reasonable price!
Cody & Dallas can tell you the quality of craftmanship that comes out of his shop! I've seen him build championship NRHA drag cars from the ground up! And many other awesome projects too boot! Shoot he's so good at welding even his former employer farms out all the "custom" work they need done to him!

I'd check Bontragers out, & plan a trip over here I can assure you Mark can do it and he's a "good ol' boy" when it comes to pricing things!

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »

This one is in Elhkart, In. I have been there to see how well it made...very good back in 1998.

http://www.equalizersystems.com/mh.asp

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: