Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 07:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a filter wrench for a FuelPro  (Read 1770 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2006, 05:11:21 AM »

Anyone have a filter wrench for a FuelPro filter assembly they don't need or know where I can order one online?

The only place I know of here that might carry them is clear across the city and I seldom get down there.

I had a cheap strap wrench which I carried just for this purpose, but it snapped the first time I put any real pressure on it while trying to change the filter last month. I had to use a hammer and a piece of scrap plywood as a chisel to get the lock ring loose. It worked, but it certainly isn't the best solution.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:51:53 AM »

It sounds like you are tightening the ring too tight.  You should almost be able to unscrew it by hand.  When tightening it, it is ONLY by hand.  Buy another strap type filter wrench-it should not break.  I've used them and exerted enough force to crush the filter (course this is one of the draw backs of a strap filter wrench).  If you just changed the filter last month, you should consider having your fuel tank flushed.  I know that in trucks, the Davco Fuel Pro doesn't usually need changing but every other oil change (30-40,000 miles).  Davco also says not to change the filter prematurely, but to let the fuel come right up to the red line, then change it.  Dirt on filters catches more dirt-a dirty filter actually filters better right before it looses flow.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:37:22 AM »

Maybe I wasn't clear...

The last time I had changed the filter as last summer on the AK trip. I was able to unscrew the ring by hand (with some difficulty) and it was screwed back on by hand, no wrench. I've put over 12K miles on this filter. I don't expect to get 30K-40K miles on a filter. 10K-15K, or once a year, whichever comes first, is more likely, and reasonable to me considering the cost of elements are very reasonable. It also appears that running cold fuel (below freezing) through it causes a shorter life span of the element as the parafin seems to be more prevalent. You'd think that would reverse itself as the fuel warmed back up, but that's not what I've experienced since installing this filter.

The filter was nearing the end of it's useful life before my trip last month, and I elected to change it in the driveway rather than along side the road somewhere. I was not able to budge the ring by hand. It's not at the most convenient angle to get the best grip on, and the strap wrench was a cheap piece of crap I paid $2 for at Northern Tool. It broke when I exerted a little force on it.

A keyed filter wrench, which is made for this particular unit, would be the best solution, hence my original question. If I can't find one, I may just make one from some of my left over polypropylene sheet material.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »

Gumpy I don't know where to tell ya to look except maybe NAPA or a Fleet Supply outlet ( Truck Pro, "Fleet Supply" or etc. ) I have one I bought off ebay it's made out of 1/8" thick Aluminum and is cut out for the lock ring and a small cut out for the top plug! It has a slip on cover on the end that has Detriot Diesel on it! If ya need me too I could put it on the scanner of my old fax machine and fax  you an exact pattern of it! (old multi purpose unit that will only scan to fax & fax now days, I ain't brave enough to even try scan'n somethin outta the shop on the new one if ya know what I mean! LOL ! Grin) BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »

Bryce,

Are either of these like what you have? 

I found these at the Davco site...  https://www.davcotec.com/store/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=2

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »

When we bought our FuelPro 382, DD was running a speial. The FuelPro, 3 filters and the wrench. The wrench that came with ours was like the top one in the post below.  I used to see them on Ebay.  I can scan mine and email the scan to you if you want me to.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »

Thanks Jack and Bryce. It appears I can buy one direct from Davco (who'd a thunk it?) for $24 plus about $9 for shipping. That's a heck of a lot easier then trying to cut one myself.

I may call or stop by the truck parts place on my way home to see if they might have one. I forgot about them.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »

Gumpy mine is like the top one also! I think I paid like $10 + $4 or 5 shipping on ebay! So it's all in how fast ya need it and if the local truck parts place has it you shouldn't have the cost of shipping! BK
Smiley Cheesy Grin  Still plan'n on have'n the "TN Fall Bus Bash" just try'n to get votes as to when is best for the majority!  Shocked Roll Eyes Cool

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: