Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 08:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BENDIX AIR DRYER  (Read 4517 times)
Dreamscape

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »

Paul, use DOT approved poly tubing will last longer than rubber and cheaper

I like that word....cheaper.... Grin

I'll check my local NAPA and see what they have, I'll take the dryer and match the fittings too.

Is this the push lok type? Or is it used with a compression fittings with ferrule?

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »

Just make sure that the dryer is relatively accessible. MCI (on the DL3, I can't speak for other models) puts theirs in front of the axle on the front wall. There is some room to work and to change the cartridge. We replace our cartridge before every winter, since that is when you most need to prevent water in the lines. Also make sure that if your bus is 24 volt, the dryer is 24 volt. We had a shop install a new dryer on ours one time and they installed a typical truck dryer , which was 12 volt, and the heater instantly blew up when the bus was started Wink. So verify that the heater is 24 volt. That heater will save you a lot of headaches.

Just my .0002

HTH

God Bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »

John316,

Thanks for those words of wisdom.

I am installing the dryer in the old A/C condenser bay on our 01 Eagle, it's empty, lots of room. I wanted to put it where the 05's have it but not enough room. The plumbing would be better there anyway as I have to tie the control hose to the unloader side of the governor, then plumb the in from the ping tank, out to the wet tank.

It is 12v like the coach, so I'm good to go.  Wink

Paul
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »

Wow Paul, you have a great place for your dryer!!! I wish ours was where you are putting yours. You should at least put a lot of things in your way and stand on your head when you service the dryer so you can experience our pain that we go through to service ours. LOL

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 04:35:20 PM »

I would check DOT tubing temerature ratings before using it from compressor to ping tank, that section get to hot to touch.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »

I am still looking for the ping tank everybody talks about,mine comes from the compressor with a stainless hose to a cooling loop then to the dryer with metal tubing and from the dryer to the wet tank with DOT Poly this is they way Eagle did it  good luck
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:00:26 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »

Clifford on MCI and some others there is a small tank that looks like about a 6-8" piece of pipe with a end cap that has a drain tap in the bottom. Which has a line running from it going to the curb side access door for daily draining! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »

The ping tank on our Eagle 01 is located in front of the tag on a bulkhead. Braided hose comes from the compressor to the bottom, then a rubber hose from the top to the wet tank. It has a small valve on the bottom for draining. I can barely reach mine from outside the coach. It's only about 8" tall.

Actually our 01 never did have a dryer, at least I have not seen any remnants or any mounts. My manual does not call out one either. Maybe on your 05 Clifford, they suspended the ping tank and put the drier in it's place. Just a wild guess.

Most of the tubing I have come across in doing a search today was rated at 150 F.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 07:04:47 PM by Dreamscape » Logged
luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 07:10:51 PM »

Paul, I found on the Bendix site that is a option for the system but can not find out the purpose of it.In my manuals for the 05,10,15 and the model 20 there is no reference to one in any schematic I have for Eagles also I could not find any reference to one in the H 41 Prevost manuals, but I would still like to know the purpose of it. 

good luck
Dallas

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »

the ping tank is also called the compressor muffler among other things, if that helps.

DF
Dreamscape

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »

Clifford,

My guess, and it's only a guess, is this small device collects not only moisture but any oil. There is nothing to take apart and clean from what I see. I'm sure it also cools down the air after the compressor.

(A few posts back I said the hose from the compressor came into the bottom of the ping tank, that is incorrect, it comes in the side and line to the wet tank is on top). Embarrassed

You pose a very interesting question.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:49:51 PM by Dreamscape » Logged
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »

NCBob, you said, "With that advice I'll leave the rest to the experts."

If we took a poll here on this board I think everyone would count you among the Experts here too! Grin

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

NCBob, you said, "With that advice I'll leave the rest to the experts."

If we took a poll here on this board I think everyone would count you among the Experts here too! Grin

Jack

At least one of the most "experienced"! LOL! Grin   BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: