Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 08:59:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WVO in two strokes, saw a friends 80 gallon kit, his 4 stroke Ford runs great  (Read 6707 times)
Dallas

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »

Levi and Strauss were two people.  I forget the whole story, but one came up with the pants, and the other brought him the idea of riveting critical seams.  Originally they had rivets in the crotch, but they cut that out when customers complained of heat transfer when sitting close to the fire.  It may be myth, but that's what I heard.

On subject, I would love to use cheap biodiesel, but no matter how good it is, I do not use enough to justify making it myself.  If a neighbor was doing it, I would consider buying some though.

I always learned that Levi was a one man show that cam the California with a dream to get rich in the gold fields.

He was a Taylor? Clothier? or something similar by trade.

He ended up with a whole batch of Canvas and didn't know what to do with it so decide to make trousers that would be long wearing and tough.

On all of this I could be wrong.. My jeans of choice are Wranglers.. they fit my rotundness much better
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 12:32:50 PM »

My bus is converted to run off of WVO.  Personally, to me it is a good investment.  However, im in a different position than most of you.

Being in a touring band that is just starting to really tour, we get paid about $300 a show on average.  Typically, we would be spending at least 70% of that to get to the show.  Having bills and stuff to pay, WVO is our only way of touring and being able to come home with money for those bills.  Not to mention the way the music industry works nowadays, everyone makes money except the band....so again, literally the only way we can afford to keep touring is WVO.

Yes its tough to find sometimes.  Yes we have to buy diesel sometimes.  Its a pretty dirty and gross process. Its a time consuming process, but to us its worth it.

So it depends on how much you drive honestly.  We drive roughly 500 miles a day, so WVO is our only way of maintaining a touring lifestyle.  We've also learned as we have gone along.  For example, next tour we wont book any shows further than 200 miles apart.  This way we can find 35 gallons a day which is very feasible instead of having to fill up our tanks.

A WVO system also requires as much maintenance as the entire bus.  Though having 5 guys makes it easy....just assign jobs :-)  Yea, its a 7 grand system, though with our driving as much as we do....it gets paid off fast.

If you have the funds and it fits you....stick with diesel haha.  For us, obviously it makes sense.  However, for most...it really doesnt.

To each his own :-)

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

Would this great, hot topic of WVO based diesel fuel be worthy of a presentation at some future Bus Conversion get-together?  Dunno.  Might be neat.

Kinda gets you interested in new things--like learning how to run the rack and setting the injectors, valves, timing and governor on your old Detroit.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »

How about heating, centrifuging, filtering the WVO, and then adding it proportionally to the diesel oil as you run down the road. Bet that would work good--no dangerous chemicals, just a yucky (& expensive) centrifuge.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 07:54:35 PM »

With my personality the arguments against mess and hassle are sobering. My family tours to support my music like the earlier post and we probably put enough miles on a year to make it worthwhile but as I said earlier I only witnessed a couple of the processes and there at least 8 major processes and 3-4 minor processes to consider when making a good decision about this.

I never came at this from the far left (environmental impact/carbon footprint reasoning) or the far right, ( a friend of a friend of a friend says: Dino oil good...everything else bad, dangerous, undoable)

I have encountered the first information that really gives me pause. The possibility that the friend of mine may have understated the difficulties involved.

I plan to continue to search for the bottom line in this.I appreciate all your input.
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 08:21:42 PM »

tekebird brought up some very good points concerning the negatives seldom mentioned. If you were to start there & get that information first, it will enable you to sort thru the hype lots faster.  Wink

Please do continue your quest, & let us know your findings. Unbiased reports are seldom posted.  Roll Eyes

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »

Negatives are crucial....and my lack of finding things on negatives while doing my research really made it hard to make the decision.

Here is what i have personally encountered.

From sept 5th until next week i will have driven on WVO from new jersey to cali, and back, in a zigzag pattern, not a straight line so add more miles on that quest than what it actually is.  To get to cali everything went pretty smooth, and we only spent $500 in diesel.  Now that is not to say there were times when we had to drive for hours and be late to shows because we had a hard time finding WVO.  As you get more and more experienced with where to find WVO and stuff, this does get easier.  Our other problem was this....we would originally ask restaurants if we could have it....they all say no usually as now companies pay restaurants $20 per full bin of WVO and apparently thats a large enough sum of money for people to get angry if you ask for their WVO....but lets not go there.  So usually we just look for it and pump it at night when places are closed.  A cop stopped us once and once he realized we were pumping trash into our bus basically, he just said 'i dont know what the deal is with this stuff, so im just going to drive that way' and left.

Now filtering WVO requires filters and we did not order enough, as sometimes a filter will do 500 gallons, and another one will handle only 50.  So we ended up having to dish out at this point almost a grand worth of diesel until we get to missouri which is where the conversion was done as these filters are only available there.

Bottom line is, before i give you guys an essay that frankly none of you have much use for haha, if your looking to do this in order to not pay a dime for diesel....your wrong.  things will happen, you will run out of filters, the WVO pump may go, and if your on the go like a tour and have no choice than to keep going, your going to suck it up and have to buy diesel....bottom line.

If your bank account isnt the biggest thing in the world, and you have a shower in your bus (or dont mind going a few days covered in sticky WVO and smelling like crap), i say do it.  Depends on your comfort level.  Most of the horror stories about WVO you hear are due to people being too lazy to take the time to do stuff the right way.  If you pump WVO that has sugar and water and bits of food into your engine....dont be surprised if you break down.  If you take a few hours a day to find oil that has settled, and is free of crap, you wont have any problems.

WVO has proven itself to me personally, but it is also honestly just a way to be able to afford the expenses of beggining to tour, until we, God willing, get to the point where we can buy diesel, drive to a show, and still have money in our hand at the end of the day.  But until then, WVO it is.

PS.....it burns very dirty.  Our trailer was white....it is now literally black.  As well as the back of the bus.  The trailer wires and tongue of the trailer is literally covered in grease.

Now its just to the point now where we want to see how dirty it gets until we get home :p

On this note, i am done with my book.  Feel free to message me if you want further info!!

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38:29 AM »

. . . . .  So usually we just look for it and pump it at night when places are closed.  . . . . . .

So, you STEAL it. 

NOT COOL!

In case no one has mentioned it to you, stealing is wrong. You can't justify that. You can try, but it is still wrong.
Just because some lazy cop didn't want to get involved is not permission.

Would it me any different if someone felt they "really needed" a tire & took one from your bus while you weren't there? I mean, they couldn't really afford one & no one stopped them . . . . . . . .
What about a wiper blade?
What about a light bulb?

Your lack of concern for the property of others & the business owner's & waste hauler's lively hood is deploreable. Just because you don't understand the total picture is no excuse either. If there is a mess left by you, who is going to clean it up? If DHEC imposes a fine for the mess, who will pay?

I do hope that this is not what being a busnut has come to . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »

I find it somewhat incongruous that someone with a biblical quote in their signature can justify stealing.  In case you don't know it, more and more restaurants are being paid for their grease rather than paying the haulers.  The grease collectors currently value it at about $1.20 per gallon.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 06:07:36 AM »

yeah stealing it even if it is trash is illegal.

I suspect you have had good results thus far because it has not been cold yet.

WVO is way more susceptable to cold issues that Bio, which I can attest that a well designed professional system can have issues with cold starts.

Perhaps Karma will pay you back with some nice thick fuel situations for each of the petty larcanies you have commited over the past few weeks

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »

I started this post and asked for REAL honest answers I can use and folks like you are giving me authentic been there done that advice and I thank you.The advice you gave must have been given with the knowledge that a few here would see this as an opportunity to do what seems to come so easy to us as people. Pointing out the speck in someone else's eye while ignoring the plank in their own is a gut level reaction. I am sorry that I didn't ask for advice somewhere else. where people can feel safe to honestly discuss without fear of reproach.
Kyle, I would love to lecture and respond to your jabs defending business for any of their behaviors.Behaviors which have had unspeakably greater consequences than some well intentioned people using waste oil that people are throwing out. They are stealing garbage after all. Not 401k's and savings accounts.
But I am sure many would agree this board would be better served without another pointless argument.You are free to call the cops on them if it will make you feel better.

Not every person who loves buses lives their lives exactly like me. Wow what a concept.
Thanks for the advice guys, you are helping me to make a good decision and If you will email me your address I would like to take from what little we have to give to you so you can keep on keepin' on.
God Bless your travels

RickB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 06:30:17 AM »

$1.20 a gallon for waste oil. So how is my friend who actually does this putting it in his tank after processing for 40 cents less?Where are you reading /hearing this kind of stuff? I would love to see the source of that kind of misinformation.

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »

iminaccess:

I suspect if you are coating the trailer and back of your bus with black you are not getting complete combustion of your WVO.

Two reasons. 

1. It is not warm enough prior to combustion

2. Your engine is too tired to facilitate full combustion.

WVO in a well designed system, should not do that.

IIRC you purchased your bus already converted?

There are some crooked folks around as of the past couple years that build WVO vehicles for resale that are not well engineered.  I would seriously take a look at the design and performance of your system
luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 07:00:23 AM »

Peach, my son in Scottsdale own 2 restaurants if you are ever in AZ he won't care if you take the WVO he may throw in some meals it cost him $250.00 per month to have it haul off he would jump with joy if somebody paid a $1.20 a gal WVO since he pays $1.60 a gal for the new. Install some catch cans on your air tubes that will stop some of the mess on your trailer.   good luck and safe travels
Dallas

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 07:26:22 AM »

Rick,

You may want to check and see if you have the check valves installed in your air box spitter tubes.

These only allow the spitter tubes to get rid of the crud at idle.. if they are open all the time, the blower will force gunk out at all rpm levels which would cause your "Rust Preventive" coating.

If the check valves are there, take them off and clean them, they could be gunked up and not working.

If you don't have them on there, email me.. I may have a couple of used ones.

Dallas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: