Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:01:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: large single tires instead of duals  (Read 8625 times)
uncle ned

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2006, 08:18:41 AM »

Just saw a bunch of new trucks leaving the freightliner plant in cleveland nc. Most all of them had single tires on the rear.Sure did look funny but must be a reason for this.

Uncle ned
"huggy bear"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 09:12:46 AM »

The upside includes

- Reduced weight, both in tires and wheels. Since it is spinning weight it is even more important than static weight.

- Reduced rolling resistance, primarily because there are fewer side walls flexing.

- Elimination of problems with dual tire pairs potentially having mis-matched diameters or tire pressures.

Downside includes

- With a flat you have no limp home mode.  (Although some designs are "run-flat" types)

- With regular tires up front, and the "super singles" on the rear, what do you carry for a spare?

- Not all tire shops stock these or have the equipment to service them.

Super singles on semis has caught on more in Europe than here in the states.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:31:12 AM »

Yes they've been around in europe for a while, and also here in the US (fuel tankers have been running them for years!) and they are becoming pretty popular here now days! All the major cross-country companies are specing their new trucks with them! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

Here's the skinny on the fatty tires.  Michelin did the creating of the X-0ne's.  While tankers, concrete mixers and others have been using super singles for years, these tires (385/65R22.5, 425/65R-22.5, 445/65R-22.5) are the standard super singles that are aimed at construction and local use.  They are not for cross country use (65mph max).  The Michelin X-0ne (445/50R-22.5) is a 75 mph tire and is a direct size replacement for the 275/80R-22.5 or 295/75R-22.5.  Also is the 455/55R-22.5 which is a direct replacement for the 11R-22.5.  If you can't find a replacement single it is approved to run duals-even with three singles still on the truck.  As stated, they will save 300lb over 8 drive tires, get 3-5% better fuel mileage-because of less rolling resistance, and it has been proven in fleets that their blow out/flat rate goes down to 20% of duallies! 
The only buses that can run these tires are the GMC 4501, Crown and Gillig 40ft'r with tandem axles. THEY ARE NOT YET RATED FOR SINGLE AXLE USAGE-TANDEM ONLY!  They do use them on single axle tanker trailers, but are not approved for single axle use on a truck or bus.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:39:48 PM »

Tom thanks for the "Skinny on Fatty tires!" I'm waiting on the day I can get 'm for my Setra! BK  Roll Eyes Cool Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 05:56:09 PM »

About 25 or 30 years ago  on the 6 o'clock news in Huntington WV.  WSAZ chan 3, it showed a concrete truck that was sitting at a traffic signal and had a blow out on a super single causing the truck to capsize (the concrete drum was rotating) and crush the car sitting at a parking meter beside it.

It also crushed the man that was sittiing in the car.

They should be outlawed for use on concrete trucks.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 09:08:41 AM »

25 to 30 years is a long time to have improvements done on any tire.  Super singles are much more reliable than duallies (has been proven in fleet use).Concrete mixers and tankers use them to get more carrrying capacity.  Long haul the same, but also better fuel mileage.  Good Luck, TomC

Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:47:48 AM »

Does that mean that they wont blow out now?

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:39:59 PM »

Does that mean that they wont blow out now?
Ed

No not necessarily, but it means improvments have been made! Also how about some particulars on the "bad incident" you saw 25 to 30 yrs ago? Was the tire in bad shape? Did the concrete truck come to a sudden stop? Was the concrete truck actually stopped or try'n to get stopped? Was the truck actually cornering when it rolled? Was the drum overloaded, or out of balance and spinnig to fast for conditions? Was the truck properly maintianed on a regular basis? You see I've been around tow trucks all my life and not always but usually there are more than 1 variable causing accidents and yes sometimes "just plain ol' freak accidents" happen! BK Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Burgermeister

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:00:06 PM »

Tom, 

Can you explain, for those who don't know, what you meant by:

[The only buses that can run these tires are the GMC 4501, Crown and Gillig 40ft'r with tandem axles.] THEY ARE NOT YET RATED FOR SINGLE AXLE USAGE-TANDEM ONLY!  They do use them on single axle tanker trailers, but are not approved for single axle use on a truck or bus.   

I read you to mean these tires can only be used on those busses with dual drive axles in the rear, not two axle or tag axle equipped busses
C'est Ca? Monseuir?
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 05:35:39 PM »

Tom, 

[The only buses that can run these tires are the GMC 4501, Crown and Gillig 40ft'r with tandem axles.] THEY ARE NOT YET RATED FOR SINGLE AXLE USAGE-TANDEM ONLY!  They do use them on single axle tanker trailers, but are not approved for single axle use on a truck or bus.   

I read you to mean these tires can only be used on those busses with dual drive axles in the rear, not two axle or tag axle equipped busses
C'est Ca? Monseuir?
All those buses do not have dual drive axles, I believe they are all tags. I know the 4501 is for sure, I can't swear to the schoolies though.

Does anyone on the board have experience with these tires on a bus?
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »

They are all dual axle dualies, are they not?
Richard

Tom, 

C'est Ca? Monseuir?
All those buses do not have dual drive axles, I believe they are all tags. I know the 4501 is for sure, I can't swear to the schoolies though.

Does anyone on the board have experience with these tires on a bus?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 06:14:25 PM »

They are all dual axle dualies, are they not?
Richard.

They are.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:16:54 PM by phil4501 » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »

What is important is that the 4 X-0nes are replacing the eight tires, whether or not they are 4x4 or 4x2, is not important. It is the load carrying capability that is.  I have a call into Michelin asking about running the X-one on a typical drive and single tire tag situation.  My guess is no, but I'll relay the exact answer when I get it.  Good Luck, TomC

tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 10:53:17 PM »

Don't belive they are dual axel dualies, the drive axel is a dualie but the tag is singels, isn't it?

Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: