Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:00:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question re: sheppard steering on a 4104.  (Read 1844 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:18 AM »

Just trying to get informed here...
1. WHat exactly  are the advantages over the power assist system that came with my bus and the sheppard system?
 I checked in the archives and could find nothing definitive.  It seems clear that the air power assist is somewhat lame, but I have a hydraulic system that seems to provide lots of assist at low speed and doesn't really involve itself with down the road cruising.   I enjoy the road feel this gives me but I imagine a more involved ps would make long distance driving less tiring.  Also I have read that the sheppard system for a 4104 is different as the usual one would give me backwards steering.
2. Are there other more modern rigs that had sheppard steering that would work on a 4104?
3. Does the pump need to be changed or just the oil when changing over?
   Thanks as always, Patrick.

roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »

Let me step in and use my old memory.
The steering that you have on your PD-4104 is the Vickers type power assist.
If you elect to go to the Sheppard style steering Sheppard makes a stand alone unit just for a PD-4104 and you must use a VTM-42 hydraulic pump and separate power steering reservoir.
Per The Sheppard rep.
The power steering pump that you have now will not work on the Sheppard unit.
Another way to go is use a steering column assembly from a PD4106 and you then can use a Sheppard style steering box from a late model P8M4905A.
Call Nimco used bus parts and see what they have to offer 1-800-526-8055 ask for Nick.
Hope this helps.
jlv
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:52:20 AM »

Thats a good lead.  Are there any other later model GMCs that could do have the steering switched in?  I really like the idea of a tighter turning circle and a slightly tighter drive line.  Wondering if a 4107 would have the bits I need.  I have access to one (parts vehicle parked next to mine so that would be ideal).  After searching the archives more carefully I realized that maybe a really good tune up of the system re: the center return point etc...as per what Gus did would be enough...
I guess I'm just looking for all the info I can get re change out etc...who knows when I may need to change out this system. BTW I have had "Armstrong" steering on a school bus and by the feel of the wheel on this bus with the engine off this think would be hellish to park without power assist.  Did many of the 4104s really come without power steering?

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »

I drove a 4106 without power steering about two blocks from the dealer, made him drive it back.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

PD-4107's have the same type of power steering that you have on the PD-4104.
You might be able to use the steering column.
As for non-power steering PD-4104 and later models yes quite a few were built by GMC with out power steering.
You must remember the PD-4104 was the first intercity coach in 1953 to offer power steering as a option.
The Greyhound PD-4104's came with power steering.
And some Trailways carriers opted to buy power steering on their coaches and some Trailways carriers did not buy any PD-4104's with power steering.
In later years the GMC coaches power steering was still a option.
My P8M4905A has Sheppard power steering and it's a nice driving bus.
I had a 1960 PD-4104 with out power steering and it was a real hard bus to drive in town no fun at all.
I sold it and the person who has it now has installed Sheppard steering and the owner states it's a nice driving coach now.
jlv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: