Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 04:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rigging genset westerbeke  (Read 1107 times)
wrench

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:13 AM »

I got a westerbeke 15.0 BTD= 15Kw diesel marine genset, engine (may be perkins)  1987-90, show 1600hrs. I want to set it up for home backup & I worry about if I run the exhust in a water tub(for muffle purpose) with the coolant re-route to a radiator & fan & shut the raw water. Will the exhust get too hot without the water injection at the manifold outlet? (will remove impeller in raw water pump).
            Any input?  pitfall?      thanks
                    wrench 
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 07:42:23 AM »

Can you replace the exhaust manifold with a non-marine one?

Then it'd be easier to run an exhaust stack above the roof of the house to minimize CO problems.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:54:15 AM »

You can run the hot side of the radiator water through the exhaust manifold then into the radiator-but that creates a lot more heat for the radiator.  Unless you need a cooled exhaust manifold, the previous suggestion to get a dry manifold is the best-then wrap it if it is still too hot.  (Probably is a Perkins 4-108) Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:59:24 AM »

wrench, tie the manifold into the radiator the marine generator has been used for years in conversions using the water cooled manifold with no problems I know you are using your for a different purpose but I have one in my coach with a radiator and the bay stays cool with the water manifold    good luck
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »

Don't know exactly what you situation is in connection with the installation but one way that is usually overlooked is city water cooling. It works well with a Marine system in that it will cool the sealed water system and that water will then cool the manifold before it's wasted.

If you have a large pool or creek on your place that would work as well.

As far as a muffler is concerned you can take the dry exhaust and put it through a dry muffler. You've now satisfied all the needs...cooling the heat exchanger, the wet manifold and sent the cooling water to waste making your exhaust dry...with no radiator or fan, which Marine units aren't made to accommodate anyway.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:08:41 AM »

If the Westerbete is a universal type generator cooling through the radiator works fine with water manifold for years the high end converters like Marathon, Liberty and Bluebird used the universal type made by Medalist in Oshkosh WI I had 2 in different coaches with the units never a overheating problem the only difference I can see is the raw water pump and I wish I had one now instead of the thing Onan calls a generator 1000 bucks for every hick up  have a great day
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:24:38 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »

Thanks much for all input,  will retain the marine exhust manifold for sure.  I beleive the engine to be a 107CID by the specs I found, was not sure about the manufacturer probably perkins.
    Thanks again all.         wrench
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: