Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 06:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When an EZ out doesn't work try this  (Read 905 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »

Hi folks,

As I was taking off my airbox spitter tubes and check valves to clean them I broke off one of the hollow brass fittings in the block. Dallas was really helpful in helping me but no matter how I tried the brass fitting would not budge using an EZ out. I spoke to my nephew who is a mechanic and he said that when working with soft metals like brass the ez out actually expands the fitting out and hurts rather than helps and that more often than not you end up breaking the EZ out off in the hole and then you are in real trouble. So he suggested buying a set of left handed drill bits and drilling the brass out and as you increase the bit size it will eventually spin out on the bit. Mine didn't work like that I drilled it out as far as I felt comfortably drilling and then used the EZ out and voila! it came out. I then used my shop vac with a small hose attached and sucked out any shavings. I'm not to worried about the shavings because Dallas explained that the pressure is actually going out of the airbox so chances are any remining shavings will be forced out the spitter tubes.

Just food for thought because Lord knows anybody that works on a bus WILL eventually break something off.. Might be a good suggestion for an under the tree Christmas gift. A set of left handed drill bits. Who'da thunk?

Obviously use your discretion when doing this. I'm not sure it would be wise to cause a bunch of shavings to meet an injector or a main bearing...

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:01:25 PM »

My left hand drill bits work great on removing broken axle studs from rear hubs.
Sometimes we get lucky. Cool
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »

I never had luck with the spiral ez out on brass but the drive in square heads have always worked for me.    good luck
gus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »

I've owned a small set of LH drill bits I got from HF a couple of years ago and they work amazingly well.

Even though they are made in China they are the hardest steel of anything else I have now or ever had??

Sometimes when I'm having trouble drilling something hard I get one of those things out and they cut right through. I don't understand any of this but I liked them so well I got another set.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: