Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:43:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onan 6.5 points to electronic ignition conversion.  (Read 17484 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:46:43 AM »

JohnEd, on those rare days when I really felt like setting the timing on one of those rascals (most of the time they were in a hole where you couldn't see you hand in front of your face) they were mostly on the bench. In order to see the timing marks there was a lot of tin to remove. Generally speaking if you make sure the point plunger is DOWN and install and set the points (.018) and button it up. I rarely saw timing as a problem on these small engines.

If you can find one of the old vibrating reed freq. meters you can set the speed by simply resting the meter somewhere on the genest. It will sense the vibrations and give you an accurate 61 Hz to set the speed.

Best of luck,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 04:03:16 PM »

If you can find one of the old vibrating reed freq. meters you can set the speed by simply resting the meter somewhere on the genest. It will sense the vibrations and give you an accurate 61 Hz to set the speed.

Best of luck,

NCbob

Or plug in a 110 v ac dial clock or analog into generator that side by side to your cell phone’s seconds or better yet another analog clock plug into land line power source. If generator is running too fast…it will cause the “generator clock” to run faster than land line power clock and will result a higher voltage.
Adjust your generator engine governor to slower or faster RPM until both analog clocks second hand is running the same speed or time matches. You should be in the 120 volt range after the adjustment.
All ac analog clock speed is depending by the cycle per second. Which is USA standard of 60 cycle.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 08:13:46 AM »

That's one of the nice things about my Trace inverter-it has a hertz readout to make generator speed adjustment a snap.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »

TomC,

The reason I figured this thing couldn't fire the two cyl separately is that it had only one lobe on the cam so the points opened at the same place ever time.

It may be that one spark plug fired during an exhaust stroke and the other during compression, I was never really interested enough to check out piston position.

My guess is that your JBD also has the pistons moving together if my guess is correct about the gas setup.

A four stroke fires every other revolution, only a two stroke fires every revolution. Two strokes, one down, one up = one revolution.

NCBob,

I wondered about that distributor part, I couldn't remember any dist on mine?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »

If it does fire both cylinders at the same time it is called a wasted spark ignition. we used that on some of our race motors. seems odd but works fine.
steve
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »

I just got back from my last campout for the year and I am now soaking all of this in. Keep posting if you can.

Thanks

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: