Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 11:10:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BUS SITTING FOR YEARS  (Read 3100 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 07:45:38 PM »

"Them there folks up in Yankee land might not understand that driving across our state can be an all day affair then some. "

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I once had a car like that too.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »

If you pull the fuel filters, they can be hard to prime. I would leave them alone at least until I could hear it run.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »

When I had to try to start an 8V71 that had not been run for 15 years, I was concerned about the possibility of a stuck rack because of a sticky injector. To reduce the chance of that, I removed a valve cover and moved the rack by hand to prove it was free.

It was stuck, but after I moved it back and forth several times, it freed up. When I cranked it, it started right up, just like it had been run every day.

The other thing that I would be concerned about is that 30 seconds is a lot of cranking time on these starters. I would hold it to no more than 20 seconds, and let it set for a couple of minutes between tries. If you don't see any white smoke from the exhaust when cranking and it doesn't start the first try, you aren't injecting enough fuel.

Lots of white smoke and no start means insufficient compression to ignite the fuel. Dark smoke without starting means some fuel is burning but not enough to carry the engine over without the starter. A few seconds more cranking is likely to start the engine.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »

If you were a little closer i might be able to drive over and help.  Them there folks up in Yankee land might not understand that driving across our state can be an all day affair then some.  I have driven thur several of them sub states in a lot less time than it takes to think about driving half way across out real state.

Soory I am a little biased, I have been about every where and it is always nice to see the Texas welcome sign when returning.

Yup, one example of how big Texas is - when you drive from Houston to Los Angeles, El Paso is half way there.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 04:27:08 PM »

"Them there folks up in Yankee land might not understand that driving across our state can be an all day affair then some. "

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I once had a car like that too.

Lin I don't think I would be getting out in any vehicle that I did not think could make the 1600 mile across the state going south and back. 

I am not afraid to get in my 4 clyinder suburban and go any where when I need to.  It does better on fuel than the wifes Mitsubity Gulant, and a lot more room.

I drove just the state of Texas one year in a big truck and drove as many miles as I would have if I were running cross country.  McAllen to Dumas is a long way any way you drive it. as is Texarcana to Elpaso, or Beaumont to Elpaso.  In most places it can be a long way to go for help during the day much less at night.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

Bob,

That was another sorry attempt at humor (ie: it takes a long time to get somewhere because the car is slow rather than the distance is great).  There is actually an ancient joke about a Texan telling a New Yorker that when he gets in his car, it takes him an hour to reach the end of his driveway.  The New Yorker's answer is, of course, "I had a car like that once too."  I know a lot of people use "lol" to avoid misunderstanding, but I prefer to see if it flies on its own.  Oh well, maybe next time.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

installed new batteries checked oil it was at the full mark turned master switch on cranked a 1/4 turn and it fired up no smoke oil pressure on gauge showed 20-25psi let it run for 3-4 minutes and then shut it off checked oil level showed to be at add mark is this normal?

luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 04:30:08 PM »

Eagle that is normal it takes about 30 minutes for the oil to drain back to the pan
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »

installed new batteries checked oil it was at the full mark turned master switch on cranked a 1/4 turn and it fired up no smoke oil pressure on gauge showed 20-25psi let it run for 3-4 minutes and then shut it off checked oil level showed to be at add mark is this normal?

YES! Just like Clifford said, it takes a while for the oil to run back down! Also when it does show awkward check both sides of the stick. Most times when the top of the stick rubs the tube coming out it can show low, when it's really NOT!

By the way what happened on the clutch deal on the Eagle? Expiring minds would like to know? Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 07:17:10 PM »

well the story on the ealge goes i found a 1975 md 5 about 7 hours away for sell at a good price fresh overhaul but had been sitting for years would start and run just when it goes into gear it would not go talked to several shops and got a different answer to the problem everytime, this sent red flags up on trying to find someone that was able to work on this situation. At the same time I was looking at this I found a 1983 mci that had been sitting for about 9 years but in a covered storage area,  much better condition and so i purchased this bus instead,
Can someone direct me on telling me how to properlly check the transmission oil it ia a automatic and the lever that is next to the upper blower wheels what does this do? does this tighten the drive belt?
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »

I found a 1983 mci that had been sitting for about 9 years but in a covered storage area,  much better condition and so i purchased this bus instead,
Can someone direct me on telling me how to properly check the transmission oil it is a automatic and the lever that is next to the upper blower wheels what does this do? does this tighten the drive belt?

To check automatic transmission, Start engine, shift through all gears, place in neutral and check fluid on transmission dipstick (engine still running). There should be 2 marks, Hot and Cold (cold closer to the tip of the dipstick).  Use the Cold mark unless transmission is warmed up.
  Not sure what lever you are referring to, but here is a photo of the OEM blower belt air cylinder tensioner, regulator, and valve. This in installed in the top of the engine compartment right below the blower compartment floor.  Rotating the valve 1/4 turn releases the pressure in the air cylinder. Per my MC-8 (MC-9 should be the same) manual, regulator is to be set at 35 PSI.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
platinum mci

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »

thank you for supplying the picture that is the valve i was looking at does that valve need to be in the off or on position when running?
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »

thank you for supplying the picture that is the valve i was looking at does that valve need to be in the off or on position when running?

On ! It needs to apply pressure to keep tension on the belt! Should be left on except to change a belt! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:53 PM »

Hmmm, you folks from the great state of Texas best to have a look at the province of Ontario if you want to compare driving distances to get out of Dodge....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: