Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 19, 2014, 11:53:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Filter Housing for 8V71  (Read 1049 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »

Hey Folks:

I seem to have a rare breed of air filter housing on my ’78 4108… it’s OEM, as far as I can tell, but a fairly tough element to find. HD John Deere an/or Fleetguard is the closest cross-ref I can find. I don’t think there’s any way to retrofit an OEM oilbath system into the coach since it never had one, and now has an aftermarket rear cap on her.

I’m also thinking I might not be getting enough air into the 8v71, esp. up at “mile high” where I live and “two-mile high+” where I like to drive the coach (passes around CO). My coach also had a recent out-of-frame rebuild just before I purchased her, and they put in N65s and didn’t advance the timing… so she smokes black a lot on climbs, esp. in the rarified air at Ike Tunnel and Vail Pass.

Short of putting N60’s in and having the rack re-run, I was wondering if I could shoehorn in a bigger paper filter housing and get more airflow into the engine. I see Eagles and some MCIs that have huge air filter housings compared to mine. My intake hose into the blower is maybe only about 4”dia. and the filter is only about 16”x 18”. Seems like I could move more air/ less restriction (hopefully less smoke) with a bigger unit and bigger hoses.

Any ideas on where to look for a paper filter housing or if I’m just tilting at windmills here?

Thanks!
Brian Brown
4108-216
Longmont, CO USA

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:25:59 AM »

Brian,
I'd try opening up the air inlet tubes first. Try opening them up to 5" instead of 4". the engine can only draw as much air as it can force through the blower. I changed my 6-71 from 3" to 4" and saw an immediate increase in power and less smoke.
After that, go to a truck wrecking yard and see if you can find an air cleaner housing that will fit in the space available.
Short of that, how about looking at K&N filters to fit your existing housing?

Since you have standard Cam timing and N-65's you are set up to be a prime candidate for a smoke turbo with a boost of 5-8lbs. without having to change pistons or do major work.
It won't raise your power much, but will allow you to limb beeter and smoke a lot less. I don't think you even need to change to a big bearing Roots blower to make the upgrade.
To figure out which turbo you need for your application, check with a local diesel performance place. Or poke around in the archives, you may find more about that.

I hope this helped,

Dallas
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 09:39:05 AM »

Brian,
I'd try opening up the air inlet tubes first. Try opening them up to 5" instead of 4". the engine can only draw as much air as it can force through the blower. I changed my 6-71 from 3" to 4" and saw an immediate increase in power and less smoke.
After that, go to a truck wrecking yard and see if you can find an air cleaner housing that will fit in the space available.
Short of that, how about looking at K&N filters to fit your existing housing?
Since you have standard Cam timing and N-65's you are set up to be a prime candidate for a smoke turbo with a boost of 5-8lbs. without having to change pistons or do major work.
It won't raise your power much, but will allow you to limb beeter and smoke a lot less. I don't think you even need to change to a big bearing Roots blower to make the upgrade.
To figure out which turbo you need for your application, check with a local diesel performance place. Or poke around in the archives, you may find more about that.
I hope this helped,
Dallas

Dallas I agree with you and one very good place for information on this is Don Fairchild (on of our board members) who is from Bakersfield, CA & keeping these old engines clean enough for CA restrictions is what his compnay specializes in! I hope this isn't too much like an advertisement! Just try'n to help him get the straight scoop on the ahhh well ya'll get the idea! BK

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:45:15 AM »

Bryce,
As far as I can tell, I didn't see no stinkin' advertisement!
all I saw was one bus nut trying to give another bus nut a heads up on where to look for help.

Dallas,
The loneliest chat room moderator in the world.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

I'm having Don Fairchild install a smoke turbo on my 8V-71N.  It already has two piece pistons, although the higher compression, have a custom air to air intercooler coming in from Sierra Technologies in Tulsa, Ok (about $700 with shipping), then change my injectors from N65 to 7G70 (7G's have more tip holes than the N's, so a bit more effiecient). I too want to go to Colorado without the high altitude smoke.  I can tell you from experience, that the turbo will keep up the horsepower up to 10,000ft the same as you have now at sea level.  As far as boost, Don is going to use an early Series 60 waste gated turbo set at 7-9psi with the reading taken off the air box (the blower puts out about 3-5psi).  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:21:07 PM »

Hmm... this smoke turbo sounds very interesting indeed. I just read through Gary's post on the beneifts for his Crown. And it sounds like Don Fairchild is Da Man when it comes to DD goodies like this.

Once I can come into some $ by selling our old bus, I'll look into the smoke turbo upgrade. It'd sure be great to have some more power up here in the Rockies. And less smoke and unburnt fuel heat.

Until then, I'll look into some HD wrecker yards for a new paper filter housing.

Thanks, guys!
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: