Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 09:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which TV antenna for HDTV? (No satellite)  (Read 1562 times)
belfert

« on: June 20, 2006, 12:42:46 PM »

Which TV antenna would work for HDTV, particularly for in-motion?† I see Winegard has the flat disk type of antenna.† Would this be a good choice?† Does HDTV even work all that well when the antenna is moving?

I don't have satellite service at home and don't intend to ever get it.† The TV would basically be just for the driving portion of the trip.† We have a ton to do once we get to the site, so the TV likely wouldn't get used when camping.

Brian Elfert
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:46:16 PM by belfert » Logged
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »

Does HDTV work at all on an antenna?  If it's just for traveling, how about some DVD's?  You can buy them cheap at Walmart...Or do the Netflix thing.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:42:54 PM »

We got a HD TV last year, & I looked into the antenna thing. I bought a rotator & the biggest antenna Radio Shack had. I mounted it as tall as I could on the chimney (of the house, I haven't picked a brick color for the bus yet Grin).† We still have reception problems.

My point -† I think the HD receiver is more sensitive to signal strength & direction. Since you are moving, this will be much worse. Maybe there is a better antenna out now, but I couldn't find it last year.

What programs are you wanting to view while traveling?

Kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
belfert

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »

Yes, HDTV is available with an antenna.  There will be no non-HDTV over the air broadcasts in a few years. 

Nothing in particular that I would be wanting to watch along the way.  I would want to tune in TV to relieve some of the boredom of long travel days.  It sounds like DVDs might be better than trying for over the air programming.

Maybe I will skip the antenna all together then.  I never used it in the travel trailer, but we weren't traveling in it either.  I could get a less expensive LCD TV by skipping the HDTV tuner.

What size LCD TV is good in a conversion?  32" seems like it would almost be too big for the distance from which it would be viewed.

Brian Elfert
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »

My wife and I both got hooked on the Audio Books for long journeys. It is amazing how fast the time passes while listening to a good novel. You can even rent them at the truck stops.
Richard
Yes, HDTV is available with an antenna.† There will be no non-HDTV over the air broadcasts in a few years.†

Nothing in particular that I would be wanting to watch along the way.† I would want to tune in TV to relieve some of the boredom of long travel days.† It sounds like DVDs might be better than trying for over the air programming.

Maybe I will skip the antenna all together then.† I never used it in the travel trailer, but we weren't traveling in it either.† I could get a less expensive LCD TV by skipping the HDTV tuner.

What size LCD TV is good in a conversion?† 32" seems like it would almost be too big for the distance from which it would be viewed.

Brian Elfert

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 06:43:08 PM »

Brian,

As long as the antenna will pick up UHF and VHF you should be OK.

In the end DTV will be on CH7 thru 51 on over the air broadcast.

I don't know what kind of results you will have on a mobile(moving) set up, but there are a

lot of HDTV channels out there.  If you are in the reception of these they are perfect or off.

A lot of stations have added 3 or 4 channels on the same channel.

And the best part is its FREE

Cliff
Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 09:55:22 PM »

I have an OTA (over the air) HDTV setup at home and I love it! You could use an omni-directional antenna on your bus roof. If the signal is good just a set of rabbit ears works. I think the biggest problem you will have is with the T.V. Mine has to go through a set up search to initially find the channels, as you travel through different areas, the cannels will change so you need to know what they are and your T.V. needs to be easy to set channels for. I think if you are stationary for a period of time you could do it with little inconvenience; otherwise, if you must have something while mobile, go with a satellite system or the DVDs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:53:48 AM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 05:27:22 AM »

As far as TV size goes, many years ago, Crutchfield did a study & found that sound quality had the biggest impact on viewing pleasure, followed by comfy seats & last was picture size. Big screen sales dropped & they quit sharing results of the study.

A RV can be a harsh environment for a TV, so I would get a econimical choice to make it easier to replace if necessary.

We have a 52" in the great room & it is bigger than needed. The HD picture quality is amazingly clear.

Good luck in choosing the best TV for your needs.
kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: