Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get your wife behind the wheel and other topics -  (Read 1114 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:00:03 PM »

my wife doesn't drive the bus.  she's afraid of it.  tooo big.  couldn't even get her to sit in my lap and just steer (some of you get your mind back on driving and out of those other thoughts) while going down the interstate.  i thought that would be an easy way to get comfortable without worrying too much.  Nope.

today, i found out how to get her behind the wheel. easily.

thanks to all the advice i've gotten on this board, today i finally bought some 2x12 planks to drive the bus up on.  i've had a hydraulic fan oil filter for 2 months, but not the courage to tackle it.  it's way up behind the fan in the engine compartment, on a tank that holds about 5 or 6 gal.  Turns out NAPA has the handy strap filter remover, with a rachet fitting, and a 18 in extension.

changing a filter may not be a big deal to most of you, but to me this is a big deal.  take it off wrong, not know the trick to get it on, or not be able to re-assemble it, and not having done it before ... anyway, you get the drift.  as i said, knowing that i can post questions, troubleshoot, and get good (most of the time) answers has helped my to do more bus maintenance than i have car maintenance in the last 10 years.

it was a bear to get to.  Naturally, it slipped as i undid the last thread, so oil spilled on the cardboard.  then i noticed it was too big to get it out.  pipes, engine, engine mount in the way and no gap.  so i'm thinking this is where i was supposed to read the manual about removing the radiator.  found a gap and by sitting up, reaching through some hoses, with my nose against the torsolactic mounts, i could wiggle it out.  got the new one, reversed the procedure and managed to get it back on. 

found my wife and suggested she flip the switch on, and i'd start the bus in the rear to watch for leaks.  NO LEAKS!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy.

found my wife again and told her she could go ahead with supper because i was gonna clean up after i got the bus down off the ramps.  She said how bout if she gets it down off the ramps!!!! Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes

other than fighting the 100lb park brake with her 100lb body, it went well. 

Now you know how to get your wife behind the wheel.  Get as oily and greasy as possible, then start toward the inside of the bus and the recently cleaned driver's seat.  she'll beg to let her drive.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »

I'm sorry I miss read the topic, I thought it was all about how to get my wife under the wheel, sorry lol.
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:24 PM »

Cody,
You are in for a world of hurt if Libby reads that one!
Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Blacksheep

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »

Tom I was a little dissapointed and mistaken in your heading too. Figured you found a new way to collect insurance when you said "BEHIND" the wheel!
Uh also, I would like to know when and what route you'll be taking when you come this way so I can see how Fran uhh drives on your lap! LOL

Ace ... Waiting patiently!
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:19:19 PM »

Hi Tom,

Last winter in Fl, while heading south on 75 about 30mi's north of Ft. Myers, I asked my wife to hop in the drivers seat. *and she did*??

As she sat down and grabbed the wheel, she then asked if I had to pull over now so she can "Take Over"    Duhhh!! !!

Well, as reality set in, she suddenly froze and told me she couldn't do it. I said, Honey, you allready are!

She did drive about 10 miles.... I will give her credit for being easily fooled! I must admit, it's not the smartest way to get your wife to drive...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:10:41 PM »

Best as I can tell, busnut and professional experience talking....

SHE won't drive, because SHE doesn't want to be told/coached/watched/critisized by HIM.

SHE gets enough S**T from HIM already, why add more?

Chauffeured all around by HIM? Why would SHE want to give up that?

Never mind the fairer sex, sounds like the SMARTER sex, pretending to be all demure, lady-like and "scared" to drive the big bad bus...

Boy, have they got us fooled!

Women who would like to have some professional advice about busnut coach driving, as opposed to HIS, may contact RJ on the west coast, or yours truly on the east coast.

Discrete opportunities for practice may be arranged.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »

Betty passed her heavy vehicle endorsement in the bus. Had three goes at the 70-minute test. First time fluffed the change-down on a hill and had to stop to sort it out - instant fail. Second time misjudged the 270 degree turn around a roundabout (rotary?) that can only be got around in an MC8 if you get the initial trajectory absolutely spot on and was worried about hitting the curb on the exit. Did a 3' reverse to get a bit more room - instant fail.

Third time I spoke to the examiner and told him that the MC8 was in fact about 8' bigger in turning circle than was legal and that particular roundabout was very tight no matter how experienced the driver. His reaction was - then get the driving school to take her through it in their toy truck (a semi prime mover with a load tray in place of the turntable pretending to be a proper 3 axle heavy rigid truck). I told him that wouldn't help her drive the bus, just cut a bit of slack and use some other roundabouts instead). So the $%^# didn't take her through that roundabout once - he took her through it twice.

Anyway, she passed and has a better touch on the crash box than I do. Trouble is, the usual steering slop and resulting wander on our narrow roads scares her enough that she prefers not to drive - but she has and does, which is not bad for someone who had had very little experience on manual vehicles.

If I could get the steering conversion done here, I would - but it's a bit hard to find people willing to work on buses.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 05:19:36 AM »

She said how bout if she gets it down off the ramps!!!! Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes

FRAN,  you go girl!  Can we expect to see you behind the wheel when you pull into our place?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »

Jack, fran wants to know if you need a bigger rear exit on your barn?  Also, did you widen that gate?

i should mention that at this point, she's either a little too quick or a lot too slow on the brake reaction time.  oops.  Wink

no damage, though.  Roll Eyes

we are gonna try to practice a little more b4 winter sets in.  gotta find a BIG parking lot.

amazing what fears these women will face just to avoid a little grease on the seat fabric or carpet. Cheesy Cheesy Tongue

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »

Tracey drove the bus for the first time last Sunday and had a blast. I hope I can dive it again someday!

Bob

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: