Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 04:10:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: starters  (Read 2430 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »

How is the trip going Jack?       
Jim

Other than having to buy a new tire, trip is going great.  We are presently visiting Ray & Ann Edwards in NC near Martinsville, VA.  We will start working our ay back south in about 2 weeks, stopping at Hoboken, GA for the SE busnuts rally and Florida Flywheelers for the antique engine & tractor show.  Jack
PS: Tell Josephine, Mom said Hi

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »

How is the trip going Jack?       
Jim

Florida Flywheelers for the antique engine & tractor show. 

I'll be at the antique steam engine & tractor fall harvest in Kinzers PA this weekend=
http://www.roughandtumble.org/rt-misc/rt_fallharvest_sched.asp

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

If keeping for a spare I would be tempted to install the new used starter and keep the known good one for a spare. The nice thing about this is with a good spare, you will never have a starter problem!!  But you probobly already thought of that. Do we get free kettle corn for our free advice?   Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 05:19:32 PM »

Yes, I'll agree with makemine, 2 years is a little often for changing out a starter for preventive maintenance, but I'd have to know the fleet's situation to be sure.

If it is from some third party transit operation for a municipality that demands no engine idling, that means many starts per day, 7 days a week, and there may be an expensive provision of service performance guarantee in their contract, they may have identified that the duty cycle is cheapest to change out at two years versus risking a failure on the road and the resultant financial penalties from the municipality.

Big transit here in Toronto identified a three year cycle for dropping the engine package and swapping out starter, alternator, air compressor and other bits... cheaper to drop the package and swap it all, rather than pry one or the other out on the shop floor on a failure basis. A bus engine room is looking like a modern automobile's these days, this stuff does not come out willingly, or without disassembling half the back of the bus. Hourly rated, union shop, naturally, but then, when would you suffer a failure in one of those components?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »

Make sure its actually the right starter when you get it.  By that I mean put it in the hole and start the bus with it.  I've got one of those gear reduction starters on my 8-92 and it is wonderful.  But there's at least two mounts on them and both of them "will fit" but only one of them will turn the engine over.  Ask me how I know.  Its been 2-1/2 years now but it sticks in memory that there was a slight difference in pinion size and a slight difference in the throw but like I said, so close that it fit and looked like it should work.  But it didn't.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Blacksheep

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:56 PM »

Received the starter today and it appears to be in really good condition. It was too late to check it against what I already have but will do that when I get a chance.

Two Stroke, the tag reads as follows:

Mitsubishi   24V
type M009T82479
4Y08
model 510752

It came in a Prevost labeled box with the number 510752 on it.

I didn't see anywhere the numbers you refer to!

Ace
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: