Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:42:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memory Foam Mattresses  (Read 1222 times)
Burgermeister

« on: June 20, 2006, 04:25:37 PM »

Just noticed an advertisement in Popular Mechanics where Gadget Universe is advertising Memory Foam Mattresses - apparently similar to the Temperfoam developed by NASA for $499.95, Queen size.

No, this is not a commercial plug. I don't know the company. I'm guessing that the patent has expired and seek confirmation from BB on this topic that hasn't been raised in awhile.

IIRC, last similar thread included a post by Geoff Smith and a Sleep Comfort variable air mattress.

I have temperfoam seats in my T-18. Never slept on an adjustable air mattress (they'd leak down at night but that isn't adjustable, IMHO) hahaha!

If the patent expired, it might be worthwhile to discuss the relative merits of various mattresses in view of the significantly lower cost.

Onward and Rested
belfert

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »

I have been looking at various foam mattresses for the bunks in my conversion and have ordered one to try out.  I have seen many places selling memory foam mattresses for less than $499 if I am remembering right.

I'm just going for something on the lower end as my conversion won't be out on the road much.  I considered custom innerspring mattresses, but they cost twice what the foam mattresses I am trying out.

Brian Elfert
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 04:52:56 PM »

My expierence with memory foam.

I had the worst back problems of my life the 4 months I had it. It also retained too much body heat for me.

I had to toss it and resort back to a Simmons B R.

Sorry! I guss to each his own!

Nick-
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:03:29 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Jerry Liebler

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »

Chosing a mattres for a bus conversion is anything but simple.  With a little google searching you can find many vendors of 'memory foam'.  Similar searches yield many vendors of custom foam mattress kits and materials.  There are several densities and stiffness grades for conventional foams and several thicknesses and stiffness for the memory foam.  Another option is latex which can make a very comfortable matress.  It seems the memory foam mattress is usually only 2" to 4" of memory foam and is backed by a layer of conventional foam.  Several companies offer many selections of different foam sandwiches to make a mattress of various characteristics.  One issue with the memory foam is that it stays very stiff if cold and I felt this may present a problem in a 'camper'.  For my bus,  I chose a soft latex top layer (2") and two layers (3"ea)  of conventional foam with different stiffness for the bedding in my bus and now have the most comfortable mattress I've ever had.  The price for my custom mattress was very reasonable from a company called 'Foam by mail'
Regards
Jerry 4107 1120
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 05:26:50 PM »

I was a little concerned when buying my first memory foam topped mattress.

I ordered a custom sized bunk mattress with 4" medium foam and 2" memory foam on top, very comfortable, slept on it for two days on my hardwood floor to test, no complaints.

Ordered another custom bunk with the same specs and a queen with a 5" medium base and 2" of memory.

I, like Nick was concerned about how I would like it.  I did.  I would try one to be sure.

My bunke were around 250.00 each and came with a custom waterproof cover.

The queen was around 500.00.

All from Knox Foam online.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Dirtball

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:56:39 PM »

Sent a Tempurpedic back. Was too warm in summer. If it gets 80-90 degrees( like when you re not cooling the bus) on a hot day it will retain the heat like a brick. Does same with your body heat. I did hear they cam eout with an overlay cover that keeps them cooler.

1996 MCI DL3 Custom Coach conversion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: