Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:27:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member with Newell Coach  (Read 3263 times)
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Nick Badame harangued me in to joining instead of just lurking. I do all of my own work, and I have used the site a handful of times to find solutions for problems I was having. Spare me the flames that a Newell is not really a bus, I don't pretend to be one of the hard cores.

Anyway, the coach is a 95 Newell with a S60 and Ally World transmission. I sold a much later model very nice sticks and staples Newmar Mountain Aire to buy the Newell. I could not be happier. I am a degreed engineer by training, and a shade tree mechanic by birth.

So far, I have:
Replaced the shocks.
Replaced the dash AC compressor and refilled with r134
Replaced the compressor and gas in residential type fridge
Adjusted steering box, and adjusted toe in for better stability
Changed all fluids and filters.
Replaced relay on one of the house AC boards.
Replaced one of the contactor for the ATS switch
Replaced stock headlights with Euro Spec glass and upgraded light wiring to relays and 12gauge wiring http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785
Reupholstered dinette furniture
Reupholstered driver seat to fit my bony butt.
Reset the windshield gasket with help from this forum
Spent mega hours under bus looking for air leaks   Huh
And the ususal host of ankle biters that come with a house on wheels.

I'll work on my signature

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »

Richard; glad your here and a Newell may not be a bus and Carl doesn't want it to be called a bus,I started to buy one before I bought my bus the 625 hp Cat engine was appealing along with the 4 slides.   have a great day 
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »

Your Newell is better than the tin turd (32' Airstream trailer) I'm currently using. Some will try to argue it is better than the orphans I plan on using 'one of these days' (- but I know they are just jealous  Grin )

Welcome to the madness!  Shocked

If you're ever in my neighborhood . . . . . I have room for you to park for a day or two . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:02:27 PM »

Kyle,

If I'm over that way, I'll stay at my Mom's in Seneca. But thanks for the offer. I'm from SC originally, and went to school at that funny place where they paint Tiger paws on the road leading to town.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:31:35 PM »

Welcome Richard!  We're glad you are joining our house of bus addiction.

See you around the forum.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »

Add my welcome to the others. My bus makes everyone else feel great about what they have. A Newell is nothing to be ashamed of. We are all here to have some fun.

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »

Your Newell is probably built better than most of the buses here.  I don't think most MCI's or Prevosts could have the complete bus weight supported by a couple of big saw horses under the front and rear bumper-like the Newell can.  I know if you get in a collision who would win.
Welcome to the board-you have a great vehicle with an equally great drive train.
I would suggest you not go much more than 1/4" toe in with your tires-or you'll start getting premature wear.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

I set the toe at 2/32. I'll take a little wear over wander any day. Newell recommends aging them out at three years on the front anyway, since they run so close to the limit. But, I'll keep an eye on the wear pattern. Thanks for the heads up.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »

Welcome to the madness! And hey at least you got a "Newell" there are some of us jealous wanna bees that ain't even got that much!
And as Kyle said if ya get in our neck of the woods you are welcome to stop in and hang out for a couple of days or whatever suits yer fancy!
The only thing I gotta warn ya of is there are charter buses coming and going around here all the time! Some folks notice 'em and some don't! (lady who has a "cattle ranch" across the rd, saw 2 of our buses sitting out on the rd waiting for me one day and stopped and asked 'em was they lost! When they told her they was waiting on me she said she didn't know anything about a bus company out here! We've only been out here over 3 yrs now! LOL!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
mccarlk

1967 mci 5 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »

welcome, my first coach was 84 newell, great built machine, i bought it as a burn victim( engine fire) never finished it because i had a secretary that robbed us blind, the toy was the first to go, well actually she was, would buy one again in a second, again welcome to the madness,     ken

treat every day like is your last, just make sure you dont spend all your money,in case its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:30 PM »

Welcome Richard.  i've seen, been in and installed antennas on some Newells and they are fine vehicles, almost up with our Eagles  Cheesy Cheesy.

sounds like you own a couple wrenches and know which end to use, so i'll look for your posts and help.

if you get up this way, which i'm sure won't be soon with winter coming on, stop in, we'll make room. 
We'll also look forward to seeing you (if we get there) at Bussin 09 in Arcadia.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:44:24 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »

Hot Dang I am glad to see there is some one else in town that is on here.

I have a bus here in saginaw and would be glad to visit with you when possible. 

I hope to get mine on the road some day.

I have just lost all the old e-mail I had if any body has e-meiled any thing to me they might do it again to make sure i got it.  Paul that includes the stuff from the TBR I lost it too with all my e-mail addresses.

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
VAN

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:05:02 PM »

welcome richard,come on in and set a spel.Van Grin
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:18:29 PM »

See Richard... You are very welcome here!

I'm glad you joined. Your expierence will fit right in with the talented folks here.

I sometimes wander over to the S&S sites but, this board and it's members are home for me.  Shocked

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:37:49 PM »

Richard, I see you are a engineer any chance you being a Aggie
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: