Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 04:20:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: With Deep Regrets  (Read 4528 times)
Peabody

Bus wannabe,Gillig chassis,3208 cat

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »

After many talks with you guys here on list and many bus owners who are not on this list,I have decided I just can't afford to buy a bus conversion at this time.I'm finding more and more just how expensive it can be to own one.I have enjoyed talking to all of you and have learned a great deal. You are some of the nicest people around and very helpful.Thank-You for all you have done.
And by the way The Golden Eagle is now down to $39,000.and I know they will take $20,000.I really would like some one here to get her.I understand what is wrong with her is very fixable and not to much of a big deal.Not a lot of rust and engine looks real good.This is a tour bus though and not a coach.I'll stick around the rest of the night if anyone wants to say goodbye. Peabody

Enjoy Life...This is not a rehearsal!
Want to make God laugh?        Make plans
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »

You should consider going to a bus rally b4 you give up.  Even if that is your best decision, you'd have fun at the Arcadia party over New Year's.

Warm, fun, inexpensive, informative, warm, lively, fattening, warm, etc..  Did i mention warm?  can you tell i'm from Ohio, the key state in national elections because we have no chads to hang?

really, i do understand the reluctance, but we are a fun group if you can get to Jack's party in Arcadia.

good luck!  sorry to see you go, if you do. Sad Sad Sad

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »

Don't leave.  You can still chime in from time to time.  It seems like we are losing lots of contributors lately.  I tune in daily just to see what's going on with everyone.

David
mccarlk

1967 mci 5 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:43:58 PM »

just because your not buying a bus rite now, from what ive read in your posts you are a CERTIFIED bus nut, stay around and learn ,so when your ready you will know what to look for and who you can call, fwiw,     ken

treat every day like is your last, just make sure you dont spend all your money,in case its not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VAN

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:46:06 PM »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry from all of us here please don't go,PLEEEZZZ!
VAN

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »

And I even got rid of the bugs see?
Peabody

Bus wannabe,Gillig chassis,3208 cat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »

Thank-You for getting rid of that bug wanted to squish it every time I saw it Grin Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue
And you betcha I'm definitely a certified bus nut,and if it is okay I'd love to stick around. Peabody

Enjoy Life...This is not a rehearsal!
Want to make God laugh?        Make plans
VAN

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »

YAaaaaaahooooooooooo. Cool
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »

Better to wait and see how it goes than to buy a bus and be stuck with it.  Your opportunities to buy a bus may vastly improve in the near future.
Owning a bus (and any other large motorized plaything) is expensive.   I dinked around with buying a bus for 10 years....and finally did.  No regrets at all...not even while changing a blown tire two weeks ago.    Wink
As for costs, the longer you keep the bus, the better the overall costs appear.  If I'd bought a motorhome with half the amenities and size of my MC9, depreciation would have been more than the cost of the bus and conversion.    
Stay connected to the board and see where your dreams go.  And, as has been suggested, Jack's Arcadia bus rally is a great way to spend some winter days!   I love bus rallys!  Grin   Be careful though, you may come away with a new 40' toy!  
You don't have to own a bus to enjoy a rally.  If you cannot make Arcadia, there are a good many smaller bus rallys around the country.   You'll find bus conversion owners a friendly lot...and always waiting to show and talk buses!  
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
VAN

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »

qaurzite AZ,Early Jan 09 Shocked
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »

I would encourage you not to make a sudden decision.  Hang out here and keep asking questions to learn all that you can learn.  It took me a year to find my bus.  There are others here that have shopped longer than that.

There can be no argument that expensive things can go wrong with a bus conversion.  That is why it is adviseable to shop very carefully and get a professional opinion of it before buying.  But on the flip side of that coin, when the vital systems are in good condition, they will outlast you.  

On the other hand if you get a 35-40' 5th wheel and a 350/3500 class pickup to pull it.  Even a heavy duty unit like those model pickups will be taken to their limit if you put on the miles like it sounds like you want to.  Every part of the drive train will age faster than normal.  And you'll want to read the warranty very carefully to make sure it would be covered.  And, unless the the trailer itself is "full time" rated, it may not endure either.

"Stick and staple" motorhomes are often an even worse gamble than the pickup/trailer.  They are often severely underpowered for their weight resulting in very short lifespans for drivetrain components.  It's not uncommon to see people getting engine overhauls at less than 50,000 miles with them.

So again, I encourage you to hang in there, shop carefully.  Your busnut friends here are always willing to go look at a bus in their area to tell you if it is worth your expense of getting a closer look.   From what you have told us, you have the time to be a very choosy shopper.  Use that time well and find yourself a bus conversion that will hold up well for all your adventures.

But if you choose to go another direction anyway, I wish you well and maybe one day will see you at a campground somewhere.
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 07:22:53 PM »

Peabody
  Hang in there,This is a family(some a little strange Roll Eyes,and we all know who they are),hang around and and drive a virtual bus conversion  Wink, until the right one finds you.
 You are always welcome.
 Dwayne
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

You CAN'T QUIT!!!

You haven't been at it long enough!!  Grin

We got our bus immediately after we started looking...... it only took about 3 years.

Hang around, you'll find something you like!

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

Peabody,
I kicked tires for about ten years before I found the right one, and I haven't regretted the decision to buy it for a minute.  You just hang around with the rest of us nuts; there's nuthin' we can't rationalize!!  LOL
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Dreamscape

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »

Peabody,

Don't give up on your dream. Wink

Hang around and have some fun with us and learn more as you go. Grin

The timing might not be right now, maybe that will change.

Hope to see you still asking questions and poking around,

Paul
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: