Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:15:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Shurflo pump bites the dust  (Read 7087 times)
WEC4104

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »

Regular readers will recall that a week or two ago Nick mentioned he had two of his Shurflo water pumps fail on him. Fortunately it turned out okay, as he called the factory they agreed to replace them with a newer design, even though they were out of warranty.

Within that thread, I posted a comment and mentioned that I had a Shurflo (smaller model) that was working fine for me.  Shouldn't have done that.  Late last night I hit the switch to turn on the water pump and.... nothing.  Drat.

During daylight today I went poking around. Gave the pump a little whack,... nothing.  Checked the in-line 15 amp fuse, hmmmm, the fuse was blown.  Why would that be?  Wiring wasn't touched, had been working fine, no heavy pump usage, Huh??    So I quickly replaced the fuse. The pump switch was still turned on, so as soon as I shoved the fuse in I heard it run for a fraction of a second and quit.  I know it couldn't have brought the water pressure up that quickly so I suspected I blew the second fuse. Pulled the fuse, and it was fine.  Put it back in and heard nothing this time.

Based mostly on what Nick had mentioned, I grabbed my trusty adjustable wrench and gave the pump a little rap.  The pump immediately came to life and started humming.  Working fine right now, but I expect I am headed down the same path as Nick and will have to swap it out.

I am only about a year into the 3 year warranty, so at least in that regard I should be in good shape. I had the pump for about 4 months before I installed it, and I have mostly been camping in places with pressurized water available, so the pump has seen very little use.  I would estimate it has only pumped between 100 and 200 gallons, and it is already failing.  Guess Shurflo will be getting a call from me shortly.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »

Yup, send it in regardless.  If it failed once, it will fail again when you least want it to!!
Surflo is very good about replacements

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »

Hi Wayne,

Sorry to hear your water shortcommings.. Grin  Sorry man, I just went through the same!

Give them a call and get it done!  Before your left out to dry.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »

About Shurflo pump....has a switch within the pump housing. A few times, I had to clean pressure switch contacts. Common problems are:
1)   Cycling too many times per hands washing or dish rising because of too small surge tank or no surge tank. The 2 gallon is better. Factory recommends version is 24oz surge tank is too small.
2)   Install a home type water pump pressure switch into an 2 gallon tank to avoid shock pressure pulses. By pass the OEM pressure switch. These ac pressure switches is much bigger contact points than OEM switch. It is adjustable for cut off and cut in. Cost about $20.
3)   The fewer cycle starts, the longer switch life and along with remote switch location the better.
4)   Remember, every time the pump starts, it draw almost twice the running current. So to avoid waste energy from battery is to reduce the cycling per day.
5)   DC motor come with brushes that can hang up (quit) due to dampness inside of the motor.
6)   Never put in larger fuse then factory suggested to avoid fire from hot motor.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

P.S. Has anyone done the above? Please report your finding, if you will. Thank you.

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:31:05 PM »

I think we're talking about the newer surflo pumps that are electronically driven and have a solid state pressure sensor. At least that's the style I have that failed...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »

I think we're talking about the newer surflo pumps that are electronically driven and have a solid state pressure sensor. At least that's the style I have that failed...
About solid state pressure switch is the more reasons it can go bad. They don't like voltage spike. So it maybe in beta version until all the bugs are corrected from the factory. You can or should be able to by-pass the solid state switch as well the older version.

FWIW

Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 05:17:10 AM »

The pump is a Shurflo Smart Sensor 4.0, which is the newer electronic transducer style with the variable speed pump. It is the little brother of the Smart Sensor 5.7 that Nick had issues with. From what I have seen, Shurflo made a design change to correct a flaw and the new ones can be differentiated by an adjustment screw that is on the outside.  I'm guessing I'll see the same on the replacement 4.0 gpm unit.   I have to catch a flight out of town this afternoon, so I'll deal with it when I return.

Also, I have no surge tank, and could find no reference in the pump installation instructions that talks about or recommends one.  I still can't believe it has started giving me problems this early in it's life. I'll bet it's total run time is under a half hour. It is mounted in a dry protected area and has never seen temps outside of the 40-99F range.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:19:02 AM by WEC4104 » Logged

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 06:22:25 AM »

I don't know for sure about the Shurflo, but I know the similiar Flojet Sensor VSD recommends against using a accumulator tank due to the design of the pump.  The Flojet comes on every time there is any demand for water, but it is very quiet.  I might still reinstall my accumulator tank as the Flojet takes a second or two to come up to pressure.

I bought the Flojet simply because it does 24 volt.  I did buy a spare, but hope to never use it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »

belfert and WEC4104....now I learn something that I didn't know…thank you! You have a new version of water pump that don't require surge tank because of the variable speed feature. So combination of cycling and running time is the problem to its solid state design.

My opinion is the more automatic feature, the more chances of break-down due solid state circuit design that it need more field testing by customers.

The remedy is to keep replace it till it corrected or factory recall with new instruction.

All my suggestion is for the simple pressure switch of either mechanical or solid state.

Or go back to the more reliable version.

BTW I am a strong believer in solid state version world but only if it been proven better than the old mechanical system. Not just pump but anything.

FWIW

Every day, I learn new things.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:14:22 PM by Sojourner » Logged

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 08:35:01 AM »

I am not aware of any issues with the Flojet, but the Shurflo seems to have issues.  Maybe the new version is finally fixed.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 08:43:48 AM »

belfert...is Flojet variable speed?

Thanks, Gerald

johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »

Were and what model of surflow should I purchase for a spare? Who has the best prices for this Model?

Thanks

John
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »

Yes, the model Flojet I have is variable speed.  I have the Flojet Sensor VSD 3.7 GPM model.  They also make a 4.5 GPM model.

I didn't realize until now that the 3.7 GPM model only has 35 PSI instead of the 40 PSI on the 4.5 GPM model.  My original reason for getting the 3.7 GPM was to hopefully save on water, but I realized later that the shower probably has a flow restrictor anyhow.  (I camp with large groups of friends who may not be as disciplined about savng water as I am.)

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:59 PM »

.............  (I camp with large groups of friends who may not be as disciplined about savng water as I am.).............

I lived with navy showers for a couple of years.  A couple of timer circuits and electric valves you can force the issue on your guests.

Just warn them ahead of time that the water will come on for about 45 seconds then shut off for one minute, then will come back on for another minute.
good and clean for less than 10 gallons.

At least they won't have the Sargent-at-arms standing there with a stop watch.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Getting off topic, but water use actually has not been an issue on either trip this year even with 9 guys on one trip.  We still had 25 gallons of 105 gallons remaining after 3 1/2 days in the desert.

I am sure as heck not going to force the issue with water shutoffs and such.  I would sooner spend the time and effort to make bigger fresh and waste water tanks if anything.

Edited so the last sentence actually makes sense and to make it say what I intended!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:01:27 PM by belfert » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: