Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 11:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pit price  (Read 3183 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:53:51 PM »

Got a price on a 40 ft x 14 ft slab with a 4fth x4ftw x 20 ft long  pit x 6" thick  for $5,550.00 do you think this is sounds about right Huh?

John
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »

sounds about right $3.00 sf for flat work $10.00 sf for walls 2 years ago that would have been on the cheap side     good luck
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »

Concrete is running about 130 a cu. yd. Figure up how much concrete is needed and then you can tell roughly how much labor is. Your price sounds about right for our area. Flat work is certainly cheaper than pouring the walls. Does this price include digging the pit or not?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:40:21 PM »

John, Would a 5 foot high pit work better?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

depends on how tall he is    Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »

When I built my shop (which I no longer have) I went 5 feet deep and then used a small step stool in the pit.  Made it much easier to work in.

I would also suggest a slight slope in the bottom and a sump pump at one end.  Even if it never floods, it makes it much easier to hose down the floor for clean up.  I also piped in electric and compressed air, a great convenience.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:03:20 PM »

Have no idea about your $bid$ price.  Been out of the trades way too long.  Does that include entry steps, a per code drain(s), brackets or slots for various level stands and wiring/switches for required lighting?  Also, have you considered going a little deeper for the pit?  Smiley Smiley Smiley
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03:19 PM »

The price does include the digging. I will have to put The light,air and sump pump in. I was going to use a cut of ladder, but I bet I could get them to put steps in. The reason for the 4 ft depth is that the water table by the coast is low.

John
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:57:16 PM »

John, Don't you love the people who don't answer the questions? I hope, as heres another. You may want to measure between your duals, is 4 feet to wide?  Goodluck  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »

The price does include the digging. I will have to put The light,air and sump pump in. I was going to use a cut of ladder, but I bet I could get them to put steps in. The reason for the 4 ft depth is that the water table by the coast is low.

John
John, Surely you mean the water table on the coast is 'shallow'?

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »

On the Texas coast I think he means the water table is high   

have a great evening
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:27:14 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »

Hi John,

Having a pit for 20 years, I would suggest that you go 5ft deep. You may get a sore back with all the bending over....

Another place you can save $$ is the legenth. You can cut it back to 15ft and just move the bus over the work area or just turn the

bus around to work on the front end.

My dad's pit measures 15'L x 5'H x 4'W and worked just fine.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »

If there is a problem with water at 5 ft he is doing the smart thing by going 4 ft it cost a several bucks to waterproof concrete and without a drain around the wall it is still a problem      good luck
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 10:49:39 PM »

About problem with high water table....you can raise the concrete's earth base up with good packing fill dirt about a foot to achieve the needed depth.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:04:03 PM »

johns...I'm sorry if it appeared I was nitpicking.  Didn't intend too. I also had a high water table to deal with in SW Oregon years ago.  Others have already suggested "raising the pad".

Shortening the length of the pit never occured to me.  Brilliant.  About the only thing I can think of and forgot before is maybe the need for plumbed airline pipes and stuff.

This sounds silly, but...how about wiring in a landline telephone jack at each end?  Dunno if your have cell service or not.  Lots and lots of extras.  Used to drive us crazy.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: