Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dish Network or Direct TV?  (Read 7263 times)
NJT5047

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2006, 07:56:22 PM »

I've got a satellite dish installed on the bus and want to get a service provider, but have never used satellite TV services.  Anyone have any comments on which service works best if one plans to grab a receiver from home and throw it in the bus for a week or so?
I've heard that one or the other systems won't work, or they'll surcharge, if the phone line isn't connected...obviously that wouldn't work.   May consider paying extra $5 bucks a month and just leaving the receiver in the bus.
I saw something on this in a Busconversion Mag recently, but can't find the article.   
Any related bus satellite info is welcome too.  I've already figured that a portable dish is a good idea if parking under trees...Now we're getting complicated! 
Being $$$ challenged, I cannot afford a "King Dome" or any such thing...got a crank up dish.  Winegard?  Reckon it'll work..or the antenna may limit my choices?
I just gotta have access to Geezer MTV....also known as the "Weather Channel".   I've got a cell phone that'll access the weather channel, even get tiny little  radar maps, but somehow the 2" screen lacks impact.   Need a Fox News fix too when camping. 
Any info will be appreciated!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »

I've got a satellite dish installed on the bus and want to get a service provider, but have never used satellite TV services.  Anyone have any comments on which service works best if one plans to grab a receiver from home and throw it in the bus for a week or so?
I've heard that one or the other systems won't work, or they'll surcharge, if the phone line isn't connected...obviously that wouldn't work.   May consider paying extra $5 bucks a month and just leaving the receiver in the bus.
I saw something on this in a Busconversion Mag recently, but can't find the article.   
Any related bus satellite info is welcome too.  I've already figured that a portable dish is a good idea if parking under trees...Now we're getting complicated! 
Being $$$ challenged, I cannot afford a "King Dome" or any such thing...got a crank up dish.  Winegard?  Reckon it'll work..or the antenna may limit my choices?
I just gotta have access to Geezer MTV....also known as the "Weather Channel".   I've got a cell phone that'll access the weather channel, even get tiny little  radar maps, but somehow the 2" screen lacks impact.   Need a Fox News fix too when camping. 
Any info will be appreciated!  JR

I use Dish Network on a Winegard crank up.  There are no surcharges and a phone line does not need to be connected.  I think with DirectTV, you have to have a phone line to order PPV.  The only downside is that Dish uses two satellites.  When you switch to a channel on the other satellite, you have to point the dish to that satellite.  Just about everything is on 119.  I think the only time I have to switch to 110 is if I go to a local channel.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »

Jr,

Just my input. I've been with Direct TV since 96', Never any problems with picture.  Customer Service is Top Notch!! More free channels than dish. No phone line has to

be connected in my coach to order movies. [RV status] They own more satelites in the sky so as I travel I can still recieve my local channels all on 101

They gave me a perferred customer status with a private direct phone # to real live help line if needed.

Hope this helps,
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 03:52:37 AM »

If you're handy to aim a dish by hand(read: compas, angle meter,or sun,) you could get a free to air receiver & get all you need.  (BUT NO PROGRAMATION FROM D.TV. OR D.N.)
  here FAQ: http://forums.al7bar.tk/index.php Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »

First, the Antenna.  We use the crank up winegard antenna also. Be sure and get the digital readout meter that goes inside you coach that gives the antenna elevation in degrees. We have found that unless you are parked exactly level, as you rotate the antenna, the elevation changes. This can make it extremely difficult to find the satelitte without knowing the actual antenna elevation. I also recommend carrying a portable antenna to set up when parked under trees.
Second, The Provider.  Both services provide pretty much the same programming. We started with Dish Network at our house and were happy with them. We added an additional receiver for our bus (listed as an additional receiver at our house). The problem we ran into was that Dish Network satelitte is lower in the sky and on several occassions, the signal was blocked by trees while coaches parked next to us could receive Direct TV (over the top of the trees). When we changed to Direct TV, they told us the coach had to be a separate account (full monthly fee). We ordered 3 receivers, all for our house. Of course we installed one of them in the bus. The only downside to this is that we cannot get local channels in the bus if we are more than 150 miles from home and we are not eliglble the the national feeds.  We have had Direct TV for almost 2 years and havge never connected any of our receivers to a phone line, but we do not watch pay per veiw.  Also as already mentioned, Direct TV has all their programming (except local channels) on the same satelitte.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:34:14 AM »

If you're handy to aim a dish by hand(read: compas, angle meter,or sun,) you could get a free to air receiver & get all you need.  (BUT NO PROGRAMATION FROM D.TV. OR D.N.)
  here FAQ: http://http://forums.al7bar.tk/index.php Wink

Hi, wrench

I went to the website and see you can buy receivers to watch "free tv", do you have a link to what stations are available?  I didn't see a simple introduction to everything, or perhaps you can explain what we are getting into here.

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:54:36 AM »

Years ago Direct TV had a deal of some kind where you could move the receiver from Home to RV without any extra charges. It was something you had to ask for. Was not advertised very well, if at all.
I would recommend a little gizmo I bought from Radio Shack with two coax connectors and a meter. You installed it in the line near the antenna so you could read on the meter when you were getting a signal as you adjusted the antenna.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:14:58 AM »

Yes Richard,

I have 2 recievers in my bus that are on my house account, And when I travel out of my 150 mi range, all I have to do is call Direct TV

customer service to let them know which area i'm in and they will shoot down my local channels. It's that simple.

Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:12:56 AM »

When we changed to Direct TV, they told us the coach had to be a separate account (full monthly fee). We ordered 3 receivers, all for our house. Of course we installed one of them in the bus. The only downside to this is that we cannot get local channels in the bus if we are more than 150 miles from home and we are not eliglble the the national feeds. [/b]  We have had Direct TV for almost 2 years and havge never connected any of our receivers to a phone line, but we do not watch pay per veiw.  Also as already mentioned, Direct TV has all their programming (except local channels) on the same satelitte.  Hope this helps, Jack

Coach on separate account? That has not been my experience with DTV. As a mobile subscriber, you should be eligible for the Distant Network Pacakage as stated here...
http://directv.com/DTVAPP/Learn/DNS_Vehicles.jsp
If you need to order a Pay Per View, you can do so on the DTV website.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »

I use Dish Network with my King Dome, still have to manually switch from 110 to 119 but the program guide
adjusts if you select SUB program favorites and it will only show channels listed on the satellite you are aimed at.

I like Dish because there's no contact, no credit and the rates and service are fair. And unlike
DTV they don't penalize you for not having a phone line (ever!).

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »

With Dish Network or Direct TV, I think you can call  5 different customer service reps and get 5 different answers to the same question.  Jack

skip102dl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »

Recently switched to Dish Net. from Direct TV. Direct gave me too much missinformation. I was getting a different answer every time I called about same question concering the use of a DVR. They even sold me one including free install. Then installer asked where my landline was? To make a long story short, I now take my Dish Net. dual receiver DVR from my home system, connect it to our system in the bus and have all functions except pay per view, which is available via cell phone or internet. I don't have a landline at home and gladly pay $5.00 extra per month. When I get to destination, I call to change my service address to get local chanels. I have not yet tried to aquire the four major networks, but so far locals are working out ok. skip102dl
htcrkjak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

Here is another opinion.
First of all I am a king Dome/KVH installer as well as a Starband Mobile Internet installer.
As for which is better, Dish/Directv, mostly it is a Ford/Chevy deal. I personally like Dish better. Better customer service being the main reason. Also with Dish, if you opt to get the RV designation waver, you can choose locals from either L.A., New York, Denver, Chicago, or Atlanta. Directv offers L.A. or New York.
Directv now has one satellite, 101, for everything except High Definition which is on 119. They will soon be using 3 satellites.
Dish uses 110 and 119 for the bulk of their programming. They to will also be using more satellites for High Def..
You can get a multiple head dish from either of them and mount the dish, feedarm and LNBs on your crank up. I would advise a portable unit to use in tree areas.
Finding the satellites is not hard, just takes practice. The important thing is to be level and plumb with your dish and know how to read a compass.
As for Free to Air, you can access Dish and Directv with them and doing some finagiling to override the scrambing. That is called theft of services. A matter of ethics. There are a lot of free programming on Free To Air, but it can be tough to find.
As for DVRs/ TIVO you may need a phone line for the initial setup and TIVO (Directv) needs to be updated with a phone line.
I hope I didn't confuse you more.
J.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 05:56:38 PM »

Thanks for all the info so far...all interesting.  Looks like Direct has the best satellite position..but Dish offers better service?   Anyone know how the programming is divided between 110 and 119 on the Dish Network?
Talked to the local supplier of satellite services today and asked about Direct TV and was promptly steering to Dish Network.  Didn't do anything yet.  Wondering why he was so interested in selling Dish...probably some sort of perk from Dish. 
What's the deal with buying your own receivers?  Save the rent, but?  Are the satellite providers going to replace a receiver that fails if it's leased?  If not, might as well own it.  Best Buy had a deal where you buy Direct TV and they sold a receiver for $200 bucks, but rebated $200 bucks.  Seems an odd way to do business.  Must be a perk in that sale too.
Interesting subject. 
Probably be able to find the satellite...as long as it's there.  My TV is only a few feet from the dish machinery. My understanding that the TV screen has a meter built into receiver...a signal strength screen.  ?? is this so?  Reckon I'd need something for the portable dish is I use one.  I can just imagine Terri standing inside screaming out dish aiming directions! Be like her standing behind the bus and flapping her wings when you don't stop on the designated inch!  NOT!
Thanks again, and keep the info coming!  This really helps make a decision.  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »

As others have stated, it seems like both have their advantages.  I have used Driect for the last 8 years or so and could not be happier.  I am really fortunate that I can park the bus next to my house when I am home so I just run a coax cable from the bus to the house.  My reciever (RCA) has the radio option so I can run the reciever from the house which makes it kind of nice.  When I am home I plug it into a phone line so I can get the pay per view stuff and when on the road it takes them 3 months to figure out that I don't have a phone line and then all it takes is a phone call to them to get a movie. 

I use the automatic system from "Cruise TV".  It has the exposed dish which I find works better in extremes.  I can get my dish to work almost to Prince George, Canada and a couple hundred miles from Mazatlan, Mexico.  My buddys that I travel with don't have quite that range.  The reason, they tell me, is that the dome units have to cut the top and bottom of the dish to make them fit in the dome.  I have the local Los Angeles staions and I love keeping up on my local news.

Denny
58-4104
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 07:00:30 PM »

JR,
   We purchased a signal strength meter and compass at Camping World to use when setting up our portable dish. The meter connects in line in the coax from the antenna to the bus. The compass gets us pointed in the generral direction. One thing to remember, the meter tells you if you are finding a satelitte, but it may not be the sdatelitte you want. If aiming the rooftop from inside your bus, the set up mode on your receiver will show a signal strength meter on your TV screen. First few times can be very frustrating, but after a few times of setting it up, it becomes very easy.  If possible have someone familiar with setting up your brand (Dish Network ot Direct TV).  Hope this helps, Jack

wrench

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »

This guy (buzz) tell it all : http://forums.al7bar.tk/showthread.php?t=141701,,
To really learn about satellite signals you will have read a lot in satellite forums. The signals from satellites vary from differant sources. There are differant bands C-band (Big Dish - a.k.a. BUD) and Ku band (Small Dish) are the most common. But even those two bands have differant signals also, Analog, analog encrypted (not free),Digital, Digital encrypted(not free). There from there those signals may require differant type of equipment on the dish. For instance, you may have noticed that on the Ku band some signals have Vertical/Horizontal polarity and others have Left/Right polarity. Those two require differant LNB's. Linear as opposed to Circular. Only "Suscription Package Providers" use Circular polarity. Namely the ones Big 2 D_sh & DTV in the U.S. and Bev in Canada. You could use those dish LNB setups to receive there Free (not encrypted) signals if that is what you are after. If you want more Get a larger dish (Ku band a 91cm at least and for C-band a 7' minimum). Join several forums and read the "Newbie" sections. - Good luck!
ps - Stay with the digital receivers, analog signals is too expensive for companies to lease transponder space (satellite usage).
                Hope this help   wrench

Hi, wrench

I went to the website and see you can buy receivers to watch "free tv", do you have a link to what stations are available?  I didn't see a simple introduction to everything, or perhaps you can explain what we are getting into here.

--Geoff
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »

With my Dish service, basically everything but the local channels are on 119.  I rarely switch to 110.  I think there is one channel that I occationally like to watch that is on 110, but most of the time I'm tired and too lazy to re-point the dish (even though it takes less than a minute) so I just watch something else.  One thing I'd like to try is to mount the Dish Network dual LNB on the Winegard dish.  It would take some fabrication and I'm not sure it would work, so it is low on the list. 

As someone already mentioned, if you have a crank-up dish, get the digital magic elevation sensor.  When I park, I align the inside ring to north using a compass, go to the setup screen, enter the zipcode to where ever I am and read the elevation and azimuth.  You rad the elevation on the digial magic readout and just point the dish to the right azimuth.  The whole process takes less than a minute.  it takes longer for the receiver ti initialize after a power loss than it does to align the dish.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 07:54:07 PM »

After reading these posts, I would like to add my 2 cents worth.  If you want to go down into Mexico you need a bigger dish, Like 3 feet. You can get reception on standard dish but lose channels and clarity the farther south you go. The roof mounted setups are great, I just bought the King Dome, but you also need a freestanding dish, if you are under a tree or by a building the roof mounts are useless. Now that you have a tripod mounted dish a sattelite finder is a must have. They are about the size of a  pack of cigeretts and very easy to use.  Camping world has them for $36.99 also Radio Shack but if you poke around a little you can proboboy save a few dollars.
 If you buy a new receiver the ones with UHF remotes are pricey. They are nice if you have 1 receiver and 2 or 3 TVs.  A way around this is a IR extender You can usually get them where you buy TVs.  The brand I have is a "Leapfrog" without being complicated it will control TV, sattelite receiver, VCR  DVD player. just go into electronics dept and ask for an IR extender.
                                                                                                           Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »

After carefully analyzing all the data, we signed up for Direct TV today.  This'll be a new experience.   Only $54 bucks a month for a lot of channels and 3 receivers.  I'm going to dedicate one for the bus.  I don't do PPV, ain't going to Mexico (can't afford the fuel to get there), and mostly watch Fox News and the Weather Channel.   
Now as Jack and jjr suggested,  have  to get one of those meter thingies to set the portable dish that I'll have to have when camped in the trees.   I'm gonna put a dish on the barn so I can hook the sat TV up when the bus is stored. 
Hoping the RG6 cabling I've installed for CG pedestal cable TV will work OK with the satellite signal.  I know the cablevision cable works because I coupled the cables together where the satellie receiver is supposed to sit and watched cable TV when in a couple of campgrounds  that offered cablevision. 
Hope I can figure out the satellite remote!  JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 07:48:31 PM »

JR,

Good Choice!   Your RG6 coax will be just fine for Sat.

Nick-

JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 04:24:02 AM »

Nick,
  We have our home Direct TV antenna installed on the front of the shop. We have 2 RG6 coax cables going through an underground conduit to the receivers in the house and a third coax going to the bus, along with shoreline, when it is parkied inside the shop (the normal place for the bus when we are not using it). Direct TV sends an "update" signal occasionally and keeping the bus plugged in allows the receiver to remain updated. On a couple occassions, when we did not keep the bus connected, we would arrive somwhere, turn on the Direct TV and get a message on every channel "No Subscription For This Channel" and a phone number to call. A quick call to that number and the receiver was re-activated.  You can get one of the meters at Camping World.   Jack

wrench

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 04:54:43 AM »

I tough I answerded your question, but I guess no,  here again or here: This guy (Buzz) say it better that I could:

To really learn about satellite signals you will have read a lot in satellite forums. The signals from satellites vary from differant sources. There are differant bands C-band (Big Dish - a.k.a. BUD) and Ku band (Small Dish) are the most common. But even those two bands have differant signals also, Analog, analog encrypted (not free),Digital, Digital encrypted(not free). There from there those signals may require differant type of equipment on the dish. For instance, you may have noticed that on the Ku band some signals have Vertical/Horizontal polarity and others have Left/Right polarity. Those two require differant LNB's. Linear as opposed to Circular. Only "Suscription Package Providers" use Circular polarity. Namely the ones Big 2 D_sh & DTV in the U.S. and Bev in Canada. You could use those dish LNB setups to receive there Free (not encrypted) signals if that is what you are after. If you want more Get a larger dish (Ku band a 91cm at least and for C-band a 7' minimum). Join several forums and read the "Newbie" sections. - Good luck!
ps - Stay with the digital receivers, analog signals is too expensive for companies to lease transponder space (satellite usage).
         wrench

Hi, wrench

--Geoff
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 05:02:29 AM »

I did answerded twice to Geoff & did not show, so here again with an other way.  This guy (Buzz)say it better that I could:

hope it help   wrench
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »

Jack,

You might have the RCA D-10 recievers, [also another model not sure of #'s]. Theese recievers need to be connected to a phone line to recieve updates. The newer recievers can recieve updates through the dish. I just baught all new ones last fall and I don't remember the Mo #'s, I'll have to get back to you on them but, they have TEVO service. They record 35hrs of programing, ect.
So, I'm able to leave the recievers in the bus with no phone lines connected ever! Now, Direct tv only needs phone connections to keep customers from farming out multipal recievers to neighbors. Phone line keeps them all in the same household.

Nick-

Nick,
 We have our home Direct TV antenna installed on the front of the shop. We have 2 RG6 coax cables going through an underground conduit to the receivers in the house and a third coax going to the bus, along with shoreline, when it is parkied inside the shop (the normal place for the bus when we are not using it). Direct TV sends an "update" signal occasionally and keeping the bus plugged in allows the receiver to remain updated. On a couple occassions, when we did not keep the bus connected, we would arrive somwhere, turn on the Direct TV and get a message on every channel "No Subscription For This Channel" and a phone number to call. A quick call to that number and the receiver was re-activated. You can get one of the meters at Camping World. Jack

Dallas

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:48 AM »

I have Direct TV and I didn't use a home phone to activate it. I used our prepaid cell.
It's not connected to the home phone of which we have 2 lines and since I don't use PPV, (My Porno is home grown), haven't had a problem.
I've been 300 miles away and have had no problems, except getting my local channels.
Haven't figured that on out yet.... But I will.
Part of being a bus nut is learning the ability to be able to figure out things for yourself.
I learn a new skill everyday. whether it's the ability to lie to the Insurance or the ability to replace injectors on my 6-71.
Ya'll do it your way.
You takes your choice and pays youir nickel!

Dallas
JackConrad
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »

Nick,
   Our receivers are Hughes, these do not have DVR or TIVO. We only need to keep the receiver connected to the antenna for updates, not a phone line. None of our 3 receivers have ever been connected to a phone line. A friend with Direct TV has Phillips receivers. Not only are the remotes different, the backgrounds on the TV when listening to the audio music channels are different.  Jack

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »

Jack,

I think Maybe I misread your post. Sorry.
Nick-

Nick,
 Our receivers are Hughes, these do not have DVR or TIVO. We only need to keep the receiver connected to the antenna for updates, not a phone line. None of our 3 receivers have ever been connected to a phone line. A friend with Direct TV has Phillips receivers. Not only are the remotes different, the backgrounds on the TV when listening to the audio music channels are different. Jack

skihor

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »

You buy a  "Coolsat 5000" on ebay then get someone to download the right codes into it and you get EVERY channel available for FREE. Once or twice a year the codes change and you have to download the new codes again. I believe it works with Direct TV dish's
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: